Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jun 11, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #1,202 of 3,643
Can you suggest me the best bluetooth over-ear headphone with the best noise cancellation?
I travel a lot by plane and don't want to hear those damn engines!
Budget 400€

My pick, Sennheiser-momentum M2AEBT..

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #1,204 of 3,643
  Thank you but i don't like the design of Sennheiser and at the moment it's really hard to find them in Italy.
Any alternative?

Really depends on if you are after the best noise cancellation or the best sound. The Parrot Zik has the best noise cancellation from all the bluetooth headphones I've tested. I'm assuming the Zik 2.0 is better than the Zik 1.0 which I tried. Sound is decent if you spend enough time fiddling with the app but not the best. The Definitive Technology Symphony 1 has the best sound for my preferences. Noise cancelling is decent though not as good as the Zik. I'm pretty sure it is really hard to get it in Italy as well. The Denon AH-GC20 is another good new one. The thread for it has some comments on its performance. The Plantronics Backbeat Pro seems to be a good mid range one from what has been said in this thread so far. Good noise cancelling and good sound. There is no headphone out there that has the best sound and noise cancelling.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,205 of 3,643

Really depends on if you are after the best noise cancellation or the best sound. The Parrot Zik has the best noise cancellation from all the bluetooth headphones I've tested. I'm assuming the Zik 2.0 is better than the Zik 1.0 which I tried. Sound is decent if you spend enough time fiddling with the app but not the best. The Definitive Technology Symphony 1 has the best sound for my preferences. Noise cancelling is decent though not as good as the Zik. I'm pretty sure it is really hard to get it in Italy as well. The Denon AH-GC20 is another good new one. The thread for it has some comments on its performance. The Plantronics Backbeat Pro seems to be a good mid range one from what has been said in this thread so far. Good noise cancelling and good sound. There is no headphone out there that has the best sound and noise cancelling.

Thank you for many suggestions!
What do you think about noise isolating?
I tried the incredible Bose qc25 but don't have bluetooth!

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,206 of 3,643
  Going to order the Plantronics Backbeat Pro & Samsung Lever Over, do some compare and contrast.

Would love to try the ATH-WS99BT but need the ANC and a return to Japan isn't ideal.

So I got both in the mail today. I couldn't get the Plantronics to pair on 5 different devices. I don't know if they were defective but I stopped testing pretty much there. I didn't like how circular the earcups were. Does anyone actually have ears that are a perfect circle? Plantronics seems to believe the majority of people do.

The Samsung Lever Over although nice looking, was a bit too heavy on my head and were EXTREMELY weak. The ANC was nice though, I will give them that.

Not sure what I'm going to try next. Hummmmm.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,207 of 3,643

Thank you for many suggestions!
What do you think about noise isolating?
I tried the incredible Bose qc25 but don't have bluetooth!

Noise isolating isn't as effective as noise cancelling when it comes to blocking out noise as it is just dependent on having a good seal around the ears rather than actually trying to actively cancel noise. The QC25 has probably the best noise cancelling on the market though it doesn't sound as good as other similar priced models which have slightly poorer noise cancelling. It also doesn't have bluetooth as you said.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,208 of 3,643
Hi, I have ATH-WS99BT and they do support BOTH AAC and AptX :) 
All I wanted was best bluetooth headphones possible and after reading few threads here I decided for ATH-WS99BT. Also because of both codec support as I use iPhone, which uses AAC. Hopefully Apple will support AptX in the future too. But I'm not sure if I could tell the difference anyway. So, I love these headphones and the only annoying thing is that they are not big enough... I mean the holes for ears. It's about 40 mm wide circle which is not big enough to go over my ears fully. And after about 2-3 hours you can feel a little pain. I wish someone made bigger ear pads for these headphones. 
Anyone knows how big are the new sony BT headphones? 

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,209 of 3,643
  So, I love these headphones and the only annoying thing is that they are not big enough... I mean the holes for ears. It's about 40 mm wide circle which is not big enough to go over my ears fully. And after about 2-3 hours you can feel a little pain. I wish someone made bigger ear pads for these headphones. 
Anyone knows how big are the new sony BT headphones? 

Here you go, mate:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434128393&sr=8-2&keywords=hm5+earpads

Also, this:
  Nothing is perfect :)

So, I have received the HM9 today, as also the HM5 in the so called "thick" version (bought directly from Mp4 Nation).

The HM9 are for me out of the equation unless you want to transform the ATH in On Ear.
Yes, their inner diameter is so small (4cm max) that they are NOT Over Ear at all.
The sound itself is nice, it is actually unchanged, just a bit more, far from the ear.
The comfort if good because they are relatively soft. But, it is On Ear.
If you want to transform the ATH in On Ear there is another pair of Earpads in Ebay, they are grey with some red cloth inside. You find them by searching replacement earpads ATH-WS99. So you have two On Ear options.

The HM5 Thick are actually thinner than the normal one. And softer. Maybe they call them Thick for a different density of the Memory Foam. Or maybe they just are confused. I have never got a clear answer from them when I asked for the difference.
The softness (not only of the Foam but also of the Leatherette) make them a little bit more pleasant (although I did not notice anything uncomfortable on the other one, I just noticed the difference now). They also feel "warmer". And, they absorb more bass.
So, I would say, the HM5 Thick and Velour are for those wanting a less prominent bass (the Velour specially), while the HM5 normal are for those looking for more bass.
I also had the impression that the HM5 normal were accentuating the highs too (or the Thick were attenuating them). Which is nice, considering that at same time they neutralize the harshness which the ATH can have sometimes at loud volume.
All HM5 have a inner diam. of 7x5cm, which could become 6,5x5,5 once you put them on the ATH.

I also have received the AKG K845BT earpads. Inner diam. 5,5, thickness 2,3 (but they are not so perfect, I had to ask for a replacement of one of the two, which was a bit higher on one side. But, they sent it without a problem).
No idea where you can get them outside EU. In Germany it is easy. I suppose in all EU too.
Not sure about US and rest of the world.
They are surely an improvement over the stock pads for comfort, a bit larger and a little bit thicker. When stuffed with something inside, to make them even thicker, they improve comfort and sound to my ears.
They have just a little bit bass enhancement and harshness attenuation effect compared to the HM5. Still, they give some more space to the sound and comfort to your ears, compared to the stock pads. And they look discrete, actually beautiful.

The Kicker Cush, you should order them from Kicker. I would not give much explanation, I would just say you need replacement earpads for the Kicker Cush and you want to know how to order a pair.
They do not ship outside US.
They boost the bass and attenuate the highs more than the AKG. Are also thicker, but a bit smaller inside (5cm). On the other hand they are thicker, 2,8cm.

The original pads are 4,3/4,5 inner diam. and 1,9/2 thickness.

So, I would say so:
HM5 normal for maximum bass and soundstage enhancement, with harshness reduction but also a perceived brighter sound.
HM5 "thick" and Velour for a more balanced sound, with less bass enhancement (specially the Velour) and also a bit less soundstage enhancement. The Velour have a more smooth sound.
HM9 if you want them to become On Ear. No soundstage enhancement, just, you have the headphone a bit farer from your ears.
The sound is mostly the same, maybe a bit brighter, compared to the stock pads.
Cush if you want a more discrete looking option than the HM5 (although I must say, the Velour look very discrete to me. Not huge), and you wish a good bass enhancement and some harshness attenuation.
The AKG if you want the most discrete looking option, with a minimal bass and soundstage enhancement (which can be improved by stuffing them). Highs are the same. A little bit more maybe. But no more harshness.

That's all.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #1,210 of 3,643
I just got my pair of WS99BT's today. I'm digging the sound. Strong, punchy bottom end balanced by detailed highs and clear midrange. Basically take the AF62 Matrix2 and add low-end heft with great punch. Modern pop is a perfect match with these but it manages other genres quite well, like rock, acoustic and jazz. I gotta say it's the best sounding bluetooth headphones I've heard to date. I even like that its low-profile design doesn't stick out too much; no more than say Beats. Comfort is good, though it's clearly more semi-circumaural than true circumaural. Noise isolation is just average. I switched out the stock pads for the Kicker pads and the headphones felt more fullsize but the sound was more distanced. More V-shaped sounding. I prefer stock.

Overall very satisfied. Kudos to the OP on a nice find.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,211 of 3,643
Hello,

I got the WS99BT today, I have a question : To select aptx mode do we need to press any key combination like the Sony MK2 for example(Power + vol up/down keys) ? Or it will be selected automatically?

it doesnt have the manual in english and google translate messes up so many texts.

Also I received the HM5 earpads but Im very scared to change it since Ive never done this before..

If possible Could someone(Giogio?) please post some pictures on how to remove the original earpads and change with HM5 earpads?

It would be useful for newbies like me..thanks.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,212 of 3,643
AptX is enabled automatically, as long as your source supports it :)

For the earpads, just pull them off! It's just stretchy fabric that sinks down into a groove. Getting the new ones on is a bit trickier, but really not bad, takes less than 5 minutes for the whole thing.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,213 of 3,643
The sony 1ABT headphone has big and oval earpads and they feel very soft. For comfort and control, it is top class. They even look good with 2 choices of colours. However, after hearing 2 different pairs of them in the sony show room, both are a little bit boomy at the base. Sound wise, they are below Zik 2.0 and could be worse. Miles away from ATH ws99BT, which does not look nice and control is very traditional, but sounds great. With earpads changed to HM5 the ATH sound is awesome and the earpads can provide room for most earlobes. However, HM5 makes the headphone a little bit more cumbersome. Not for those who demand good look. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,214 of 3,643
Hey guys, I'm brand new here, been lurking a while because I've decided to treat myself, take the plunge and drop some cash on my first (and ideally last?) pair of stellar cans.

I'm primarily looking for something to aid me in my adventures of dedicated lay-down, mostly THC-assisted, mentally intense listening seshes. I'm mostly into all genres of metal and electronic - old and new technical death metal, melodic death and power metal, black/gothic/folk metal, deathcore, and then all sorts of EDM; trance, complextro and electro, dubstep, DnB etc. So while I like to think I appreciate a ton of bass, realistically I think I'm less of a basshead and more in need of something with a detailed/balanced soundstage, that won't freak out at the crowded mids, and often muddy low end of the clicky kick drums of metal. But that will still provide a decent amount of boomy crazy bass for the more MLG Doritos & Mountain Dew type music like dubstep & deathcore, without compromising the rest of the curve for beautiful flowy synthesizers in trance and black metal.

This is still foremost about the critical listening seshes though, as well as my budget - the cheaper the better, and I definitely don't want to spend over $200

Going by your musical genre tastes, I doubt you'd be happy with anything but the WS99BT's. I know you said you're not really a basshead, but most bluetooth headphones seem to be pretty light on bass, especially if you listen at higher volumes sometimes. I know they're $35 out of your price range, but it will be worth it.

So I got both in the mail today. I couldn't get the Plantronics to pair on 5 different devices. I don't know if they were defective but I stopped testing pretty much there. I didn't like how circular the earcups were. Does anyone actually have ears that are a perfect circle? Plantronics seems to believe the majority of people do.

The Samsung Lever Over although nice looking, was a bit too heavy on my head and were EXTREMELY weak. The ANC was nice though, I will give them that.

Not sure what I'm going to try next. Hummmmm.

That's really odd, they always paired right up when I had them. Maybe try the Momentums if they ever get released again?

I just got my pair of WS99BT's today. I'm digging the sound. Strong, punchy bottom end balanced by detailed highs and clear midrange. Basically take the AF62 Matrix2 and add low-end heft with great punch. Modern pop is a perfect match with these but it manages other genres quite well, like rock, acoustic and jazz. I gotta say it's the best sounding bluetooth headphones I've heard to date. I even like that its low-profile design doesn't stick out too much; no more than say Beats. Comfort is good, though it's clearly more semi-circumaural than true circumaural. Noise isolation is just average. I switched out the stock pads for the Kicker pads and the headphones felt more fullsize but the sound was more distanced. More V-shaped sounding. I prefer stock.

Overall very satisfied. Kudos to the OP on a nice find.

I couldn't agree more, and I doubt these cans would've been on anyone's radar if Giogio hadn't taken a chance on them, and then proceeded to not shut the hell up about them for 80+ pages :p I'm SOOOOO much happier with these than the Backbeat Pros. More clean headroom, better lowend punch, gorgeous textured mids, sparkling highs... don't even miss ANC that much, all it really helps are the low frequency noises anyways.

I'm still testing (about 20hrs of pink noise, plus 10hrs of music), but so far I think I prefer the stock pads as well, in my case over the hm5's. Much more comfortable than the BBP's for me, likely due to my ear size; they end up being more of an on-ear setup for me, while the BBP's were sort of in between, putting lots of pressure on small parts of my ears.

The hm5's, while more comfortable than stock (they dont touch my ears at all), have an unexpected side effect: reduced volume, probably from how much further away the drivers end up from my ears. Then there's also the stylistic drawback, though in dark blue they don't look too bad.

The sony 1ABT headphone has big and oval earpads and they feel very soft. For comfort and control, it is top class. They even look good with 2 choices of colours. However, after hearing 2 different pairs of them in the sony show room, both are a little bit boomy at the base. Sound wise, they are below Zik 2.0 and could be worse. Miles away from ATH ws99BT, which does not look nice and control is very traditional, but sounds great. With earpads changed to HM5 the ATH sound is awesome and the earpads can provide room for most earlobes. However, HM5 makes the headphone a little bit more cumbersome. Not for those who demand good look. 

I actually quite like the look, a bit understated, but with the stock pads, they're VERY low profile, so IMO they look better than most all other high-end BT headphones, at least while actually being worn. Certainly more attractive than the BBP's I returned, as well as some of the goofy looking huge ones (Def Tech, Parrot Zik).

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,215 of 3,643
I tested a few of the good bluetooth cans today at Adobashi Camera:
Sony MDR-1ABT
Philips Fidelio M2BT
AKG K845BT
ATH-WS99BT

The Sonys sounded great and were very luxurious in terms of comfort, but the bass was just too boomy. I imagine that can be EQ'd but I'm not really into that.

The AKG sounded really good, and wow they are very comfortable; I felt like I could wear them for hours. They are definitely a little bulky in appearance, but the build quality is far above any of the others. Really nice sub bass, but not the fastest, most punchy cans. They're a bit flat in the mid-bass department. 

The ATH-WS99BT....the sound is hard to hate; it's a good all-arounder, but they just feel so cheap! And like others have said, the cups are just poorly designed, especially for my ear size I guess. 

After several hours I ended up walking out with the Philips M2BT, though I think I'll return them. I don't know if I can wear on-ear headphones for long periods of time. They're just not very comfortable, despite how great they sound. The range is decent enough, I wore them to the gym and could leave my phone at the squat rack and walk ~20m to the drinking fountain without losing my song.

So right now I'm back at square one. I don't know what to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back