Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jun 4, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,171 of 3,643
@mmille24, I can't suggest much if I do not know which kind of sound you look for.
I would not risk with the M2AEBT unless you can return them easily. There too, anyway, you must understand which sound you look for, because they have the Over and On ear.
The Over sounds smooth, round, warm, spacious, with a little boomy bass with good rumble.
The On sounds more aggressive, even slightly harsh on the highs sometimes whereas the Over is a bit rolled off. The On is "colder", somehow, ore V shaped, with a more punchy bass, tighter.
And with less spacious soundstage.

The Backbeat Pro have a ok noise cancelling and no particular leakage, so, you could go for them if you want a strong bass out of the box, quite boosted, with a good balance of punch and rumble.
They are neutral on the mids and rather bright on the highs. If you stream from the tablet you can have them at same time connected to your phone and receive calls.

The Samsung Level Over have a good ANC and a sound which in some way could be a bit compared to the Momentum, for being also rather soft and smooth and warm with spacious soundstage and a slight boomy rumbling (gentle) bass.

The new Denon AH-GC20 are said to be also quite bassy, a bit V shaped for what I understood, but I did not try them. They surely have ANC and apparently a ok one.

And the Parrot Zik 2 have a very good ANC and a sound which pleases lot of people.

I have no other resources :)
But in my other thread about ANC BT Headphones some guys posted some review of other middle budget ANC headphones.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,172 of 3,643
Just a quick post, wated to give a huge thanks to Giogio for creating this thread, and all his hard work, as well as all the other bluetooth fanatics out there. This thread is certainly a valuable resource.

I currently have the BBP's, and have the WS99BT's on the way, along with the hm5 earpads. Was wondering where you guys are buying the hm9 and tabor pads. Also i couldn't find the hm5 pads in black on amazon, so i went with dark blue. Also looking forwrd to Giogio's comparison of all three pads.

I hope to have both headphones for a day or two, before i have to return the BBP's, so I'll post a comparison.

So you have some references for my ears, I also own the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, as well as Sennhieser HD-598, so I know a small bit about decent sounding headphones.

I love the BBP, but the bass just doesnt keep up with max volume, without some subtractive EQ. I don't always "blast" volume, but when i do, i surely dont want distortion. The bbp gets reasonably loud, but i guess im looking for UNreasonably loud, lol.

I will really miss the ANC, though.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #1,173 of 3,643
I will really miss the ANC, though.

Nothing is perfect :)

So, I have received the HM9 today, as also the HM5 in the so called "thick" version (bought directly from Mp4 Nation).

The HM9 are for me out of the equation unless you want to transform the ATH in On Ear.
Yes, their inner diameter is so small (4cm max) that they are NOT Over Ear at all.
The sound itself is nice, it is actually unchanged, just a bit more, far from the ear.
The comfort if good because they are relatively soft. But, it is On Ear.
If you want to transform the ATH in On Ear there is another pair of Earpads in Ebay, they are grey with some red cloth inside. You find them by searching replacement earpads ATH-WS99. So you have two On Ear options.

The HM5 Thick are actually thinner than the normal one. And softer. Maybe they call them Thick for a different density of the Memory Foam. Or maybe they just are confused. I have never got a clear answer from them when I asked for the difference.
The softness (not only of the Foam but also of the Leatherette) make them a little bit more pleasant (although I did not notice anything uncomfortable on the other one, I just noticed the difference now). They also feel "warmer". And, they absorb more bass.
So, I would say, the HM5 Thick and Velour are for those wanting a less prominent bass (the Velour specially), while the HM5 normal are for those looking for more bass.
I also had the impression that the HM5 normal were accentuating the highs too (or the Thick were attenuating them). Which is nice, considering that at same time they neutralize the harshness which the ATH can have sometimes at loud volume.
All HM5 have a inner diam. of 7x5cm, which could become 6,5x5,5 once you put them on the ATH.

I also have received the AKG K845BT earpads. Inner diam. 5,5, thickness 2,3 (but they are not so perfect, I had to ask for a replacement of one of the two, which was a bit higher on one side. But, they sent it without a problem).
No idea where you can get them outside EU. In Germany it is easy. I suppose in all EU too.
Not sure about US and rest of the world.
They are surely an improvement over the stock pads for comfort, a bit larger and a little bit thicker. When stuffed with something inside, to make them even thicker, they improve comfort and sound to my ears.
They have just a little bit bass enhancement and harshness attenuation effect compared to the HM5. Still, they give some more space to the sound and comfort to your ears, compared to the stock pads. And they look discrete, actually beautiful.

The Kicker Cush, you should order them from Kicker. I would not give much explanation, I would just say you need replacement earpads for the Kicker Cush and you want to know how to order a pair.
They do not ship outside US.
They boost the bass and attenuate the highs more than the AKG. Are also thicker, but a bit smaller inside (5cm). On the other hand they are thicker, 2,8cm.

The original pads are 4,3/4,5 inner diam. and 1,9/2 thickness.

So, I would say so:
HM5 normal for maximum bass and soundstage enhancement, with harshness reduction but also a perceived brighter sound.
HM5 "thick" and Velour for a more balanced sound, with less bass enhancement (specially the Velour) and also a bit less soundstage enhancement. The Velour have a more smooth sound.
HM9 if you want them to become On Ear. No soundstage enhancement, just, you have the headphone a bit farer from your ears.
The sound is mostly the same, maybe a bit brighter, compared to the stock pads.
Cush if you want a more discrete looking option than the HM5 (although I must say, the Velour look very discrete to me. Not huge), and you wish a good bass enhancement and some harshness attenuation.
The AKG if you want the most discrete looking option, with a minimal bass and soundstage enhancement (which can be improved by stuffing them). Highs are the same. A little bit more maybe. But no more harshness.

That's all.

About the HM5, you can also buy them directly from MP4 Nation. They take longer to come because they are shipped from Hong Kong.
They also are a little bit more expensive I see.
You can return them, but you pay the shipping of the return.

EDIT: I am not the only one to be thanked.
I have created the thread but I am not the only one keeping it alive :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,174 of 3,643
Agreed, post edited. Also wanted to add that I read all 1171 posts before posting :)

Do the cush pads offer any extra room inside, for longer ears, over stock? I think i remember reading the stock pads were 5.5 cm? My ears are an abnormally long 7.5 cm; I've no delusions that my dumbo ears will "fit" in the cush pads, but if they have more room than stock, i may pick them up as well to have something more stylish than the hm5 for public.

EDIT: if someone could point me to a review thread for the A-Audio Icon https://a-audio.com/shop/icon-wireless-over-ear-anc-headphones/ that'd be swell. Several searches turned up nothing.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,175 of 3,643
Agreed, post edited. Also wanted to add that I read all 1171 posts before posting
smily_headphones1.gif

Do the cush pads offer any extra room inside, for longer ears, over stock? I think i remember reading the stock pads were 5.5 cm? My ears are an abnormally long 7.5 cm; I've no delusions that my dumbo ears will "fit" in the cush pads, but if they have more room than stock, i may pick them up as well to have something more stylish than the hm5 for public.

EDIT: if someone could point me to a review thread for the A-Audio Icon https://a-audio.com/shop/icon-wireless-over-ear-anc-headphones/ that'd be swell. Several searches turned up nothing.

At that size, your ears are unlikely to fit inside the HM5 either without trying to squish them in but it should definitely be more comfortable than the small stock ones.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #1,176 of 3,643
Howdy Giogio, been a little while :smiley: good to see you now have the pads! Got any pics of what the hm9s look like at all? Cheers! Still enjoying my red hm5s!

Still awaiting the return of the Sennheisers wireless, they have provided me with some wired M2s until they ship out the new variant :smiley: look forward to that! Would be interesting to know if the sound signature will be changed at all.

One other thing you only get volume control with no track changing function with the ws99bt, you using an app to over come that problem or you just living with it? :wink:

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,177 of 3,643
Dear Giogio

I also get the HM5 velour and leather plus HM9. Totally agree with your assessment. I think HM9 looks nicer, but I end up using the HM5 leather most of the time. Much more comfortable and sounds best. Cannot imagine a small thing like earpad means so much. Thanks for introducing the ATH as well as the earpad.

For Leddra 2 K: the volume control button if pressed long and wait for a beep sound will change the track.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,178 of 3,643
Dear Giogio

I also get the HM5 velour and leather plus HM9. Totally agree with your assessment. I think HM9 looks nicer, but I end up using the HM5 leather most of the time. Much more comfortable and sounds best. Cannot imagine a small thing like earpad means so much. Thanks for introducing the ATH as well as the earpad.

For Leddra 2 K: the volume control button if pressed long and wait for a beep sound will change the track.

Phchin, excellent! Thank you :smile:

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #1,180 of 3,643
The inner diameter of the earpad is not enough even for my small ears. I agree with Giogio that it is over the ear or at least half over the ear in that sense. It certainly looks better to carry outside my home. I tried to use it for 2 weeks and yet, turned back to HM5 for its superior sound and comfort, especially at home. Simply changing to HM5 enhanced a lot with soundstage and tightening up the base. With both HM5 and HM9, it is not comfortable to carry ws99bt in the streets hanging tightly around my neck anyway, especially in summer. I do have fidelio with better bass but less enjoyable in its overall sound and comfort. I also have zik 1 and 2 whose sound I enjoyed even less. Just my subjective opinion though. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,181 of 3,643
Giogio, Im really wanting to know if any of the 5 pads youve tried besides the hm5 offer more ear room over the stock pads, and which one offers the most room. Sound is less important for these pads; if I want maximum sound quality, I'll just use my hm5's.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,182 of 3,643
I have updated the post above, with the dimensions of the earpads.
For your ears you need the HM5. The velour vould be a nice option if you are concerned about them being huge. The velour do not look huge.

Otherwise the AKG. They are 5.5 I have 6,5 ears, and no problems. But, 7,5... I have my doubts.
You can NOT return them. You should eventually buy a AKG K845BT headphone, try the pads on the ATH, and return the headphone. Complicated but can be done if you really want to find out.
Otherwise order the Hm5 velour. After all they have not the bass of the HM5 leatherette but have still more than the AKG.

Cheers

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,183 of 3,643
Thank you very much, makes things much easier. Interesting that the velours looks smaller, maybe because they're more rounded, while the pleather are squared off?

I'm wondering if there's some other options that we're missing; I noticed that the hm5's fit the ATH-m50's, being that that's an extremely popular headphone, I wonder if there's other m50 pads that would work for the WS99?

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,184 of 3,643
  Thank you very much, makes things much easier. Interesting that the velours looks smaller, maybe because they're more rounded, while the pleather are squared off?

I'm wondering if there's some other options that we're missing; I noticed that the hm5's fit the ATH-m50's, being that that's an extremely popular headphone, I wonder if there's other m50 pads that would work for the WS99?

You are welcome to try and let us know :)
This is the purpose of this thread. Collective participation. My aim is to instigate in people a passion for first hand comparisons and for sharing the results of their comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back