Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
May 19, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,081 of 3,643
Hey, I'm a new member and by no means am I an audiophile, but a recommendation by someone who knows what they are talking about would be very much appreciated. I want a sub-$100 pair of Bluetooth headphones for listening to music and it seems like the Omni by JLab and Jabra Move are the best two out there. Which one should I get (or should I get a different pair from these two)? My top priorities are noise isolation and sound quality, or if there are any features that one has but the other doesn't. Thanks in advance!

May 19, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,082 of 3,643
Alright, I am new to head fi and this is my first post. I'm on this thread to ask for bluetooth headphone recommendations(I don't have time to read the entire 1000+ posts on this thread). I currently on a pair of Sony MDR-XB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth headphones, they are very good for the price and I enjoy them a lot, but,
i'm looking for an upgrade. I have been drooling over the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, they seem perfect and I
want a pair very badly and I've tried on a pair at my local best buy. The problem is, they are quite expensive and
seem to have bluetooth issues so i'm not sure. I would like recommendations on bluetooth headphones. I MUST
have bluetooth(duh), microphone(for gaming), stylish looking(I will wear them at school and in public) and audiophile sound 
quality. I am picky about sound quality and I look for overall balanced sound with good soundstage. I do like extra bass
because it is good for the type of music I listen to. I hope I can get some recommendations for headphones beside the
Momentum Wireless. Hope someone can give me good headphone recommendations! 

May 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,083 of 3,643

Hi,
what makes you say that "most of the top-recommended bluetooth headphones seem to fail these criteria"?
All over Ear in my list are closed back, although some have little openings (supposedly for bass).
The only one where you cannot turn ANC off is the M2AEBT (and the Beats, which is far from being on top in my list).
And in this moment most are Over Ear.
And all of them can be used with cable

If you have little ears and you want strong bass with balanced sound, Over Ear, warm and smaller than the Plantronics (which btw are not warm), from what I have tried I can only suggest the ATH-WS99BT.
It is not the best isolating one, and it may leak a little bit more sound than other ones (but not so much either), and you may wish to replace the earpads (I will be able to suggest the best ones in a couple of weeks) if you have protruding and sensitive ears.
But it is the only one able to get really loud and produce (when EQed) a very strong bass without affecting other frequencies much, and being balanced. The fact that out of the box they are not bass boosted is wonderful for many things, although people who do not want to use EQ have to lok elsewhere (or use them with the Brainwavz Pads, which increase the bass dramatically).

The Fidelio are also moderately warm and with a good bass out of the box (still not so boosted as the Plantronics) but are On Ear.

Or you could try the Supertooth Freedom. I think you may like them, yes. And they are quite cheap.

Or, some people talk well of the bass of the new Denon and the new Sony.

It also depends on what you call "strong bass" :)

Hm, maybe not 'most' fail these criteria, but I will check a few again..
Hah, yeah I seem to remember incorrectly, maybe I made such a fuss over the M2AEBT's lack of an ANC switch that I remembered it being a problem with many cans. But aren't at least the UE9000's the same in this regard? The ATH-WS99BT I think I was unable to find sufficient information on, since it's mostly in japanese or sometimes chinese, but I could see now that there is obviously an audio jack for a cable on one side. Both of your over-ear suggestions are nice; the pricing on the Supertooth Freedoms and your enthusiastic praise of the WS99's... I must admit that the unavailable nature of the WS99's is appealing, I'd feel a bit special toting them around. :p
Not entirely sure of the appearance and portability of either though, if I wanted to use them for what BT cans does best! Heh, which brings me back to the M2AEBTs which looked so good and seemed so promising in every respect only to betray me with the ANC switch (and the pricing perhaps... and perhaps also my audio preferences, but oh so nice looking!).

Anyway, the WS99BT's are probably the top contenders, but I probably need to pick up a few reference points to compare audio evaluation. It seems like the promising new Denon BT's are coming in to local stores next week, so maybe I can check them out; seems like I may be able to try out the Beoplay H8's (i would never buy them tho), the Harman Kardon Soho's and perhaps the AKG45BT's while I'm at it since stores seem stocked on these. Perhaps I'll come across something else too.. :0

I'll check in later with new impressions, thanks for the advice. :- )

May 20, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,084 of 3,643
The ath are definitely more portable than the momentum.
You can fold the momentum but you can turn the speakers flat on the ath, which are also thinner and result finally more portable.

Let us know what you think of what you try :)

May 20, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,085 of 3,643
Final decisions:
Ok almost ready to take the plunge with the Plantronics but was wondering if there has been a comparison of the wireless headphones when used wired?? Might be in the sticks and not have a reliable electricity source and just out of general interest- read a review of the 10RBT's saying when wired they were a lot better than when wireless... Is this the case with all of BT?? Can't find the ATH wireless in Europe btw (but can find the wired version for £80- maybe another story!!)... Anyway heading off in a few weeks so don't really have time to try a few and send em back before I go... Also how much difference between the Plantronics and SuperTooth Freedoms is there? The Freedoms are less than 1/2 price at the moment... Cheers for any advice...

May 21, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #1,087 of 3,643
Dear Giogio

I may have missed it, but have you posted neutron EQ settings for ATH? Nice to have that for I have made a mess of neurtron.

I have bought the brainwavz HM9 and it is a better fit than HM9. Please let me know the EQ setting with HM9 on. I agree with you that I cannot go out with HM5, it is too big. HM9 is more comfortable than the origin cup but thicker and more comfortable. Please let me know you opinion on the sound with it on. I do find HM5 offers more lows than HM9 though. But due to convenience, I will still go with HM9.

May 21, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,088 of 3,643
I have tested Fidelio, AKG Y45BT and Plantronics Backbeat Pro, which are the only ones matching your requests (among those in my list. There may be others, as you say, 1ABT, Denon, etc).
All of them are ok with glasses.
All of them sound ok with SBC but definitely better with APTX specially on the highs, which lose definition with SBC.

You do not use EQ, so, it must be perfect out of the box.

The AKG do not deliver the bass you want.

The Fidelio do. The Plantronics come after.

The Plantronics will isolate better for being over ear and having ANC (which you can turn off). But are bigger.
The Plantronics have better battery life, 20 hours against the 10-12 of Fidelio. They also have better range.
The BT connectivity is good in both, if by that you mean clipping, stuttering and those things.
The call quality is better on the Plantronics.

I hope this was what you were looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

Feel free to ask in case you have more questions.

Thank you for answering my questions, it was very helpful !
Seems that the M2BT is the best choice for me.

Thanks !

May 21, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,089 of 3,643
b&O have a new bt headphone out too

http://www.headfonia.com/review-bo-beoplay-h8/

May 21, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,090 of 3,643
Received my Kicker Tabor today and I am enjoying its fun sound. As expected it has a very typical DJ headphone sound with its hyped lows and highs. It reminds me of my old Allen & Heath Xone 53 with its big drivers and big bass. The X53 pushes better detail with its Audio Technica drivers. Genre bandwidth is specific to bass heavy music like pop, hip hop and edm. Everything else sounds adequate enough with slight fuzziness in the mids and highs (despite having aptX). Maybe the drivers haven't loosened up yet. And at least it doesn't sound muffled like the Sony XB950BT. I do detect some stuttering with the connection. But I haven't heard a BT headphone that doesn't stutter. Design wise it is comically large and chunky with a wide form factor. Surprisingly it fits small. My large-ish head just barely fits the largest setting on the headband. I definitely won't be wearing these outdoors much. Strictly around the house like comfy pair of slippers. Good buy if you can get them for $100 or less.

May 21, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,091 of 3,643
Giogio........ws99bt........woooow!!!!!! Couldn't even think a Bluetooth set of headphones could deliver such power!!! And the volume is amazing!!!! Was very disappointed with the Sony mdr-1abts!! The 1rbts when I had them sounded much better found they added to much bass which clouded the vocals. But the ws99bt deliver great stable bass without the loss of vocals! Just amazing! Didn't mind paying the extra £60 for bringing them into the UK now once hearing them! ☺
Plus I've sent my M2 wireless back to Sennheiser and they are replacing them with temp m2 cabled until they can send me new wireless ones once they have fixed the AC issues! Look forward to that!

The only thing I don't like about the ws99bts is the ear cups they are uncomfortable...did you say that you replaced them with others?
Anyways the ws99bts have now shot straight to the top of my Bluetooth headphone table :grinning:

May 22, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,092 of 3,643
Giogio........ws99bt........woooow!!!!!! Couldn't even think a Bluetooth set of headphones could deliver such power!!! And the volume is amazing!!!! Was very disappointed with the Sony mdr-1abts!! The 1rbts when I had them sounded much better found they added to much bass which clouded the vocals. But the ws99bt deliver great stable bass without the loss of vocals! Just amazing! Didn't mind paying the extra £60 for bringing them into the UK now once hearing them! ☺
Plus I've sent my M2 wireless back to Sennheiser and they are replacing them with temp m2 cabled until they can send me new wireless ones once they have fixed the AC issues! Look forward to that!

The only thing I don't like about the ws99bts is the ear cups they are uncomfortable...did you say that you replaced them with others?
Anyways the ws99bts have now shot straight to the top of my Bluetooth headphone table :grinning:

Yeah, I am happy to read that!
I love them too :)
Yes, I have tried two other Earpads already, the ones of the AKG K845BT, which look very ok and improve the comfort and a bit the soundstage but not the bass. And the Brainwavz HM5 which improves the comfort more, and the soundstage more, and the bass more :) But look huge. So, only for home use.
I have ordered and will receive soon the Brainwavz HM9 and the Kicker Cush earpads.
I hope that one of those will be even better than the HM5 for sound, and for look.
I'll let you know.
@phchin lately commented that he likes the HM9 more than the HM5 for being more discrete but they do not give the extra bass effect of the HM5 (thanks man for the info, and, yes, I will experiment a good EQ setting for them, although the ATH do not need much EQ for my tastes, just some extra bass with the "non HM5" pads. Eventually some subtractive EQ on the low mids. BTW, you could start using the EQ setting made for the Fidelio, make a copy and in the copy change one thing only for example change the frequency of the bass from 90 to 60 hz, and than switch between the two and see which one offer more bass. Delete the other and make a copy of the winner and change another thing, like the highs from 9000 to 12000 or the upper mids from 6000 to 9000 or to 4500, and so on... Anyway, how do you like the ATH?).

May 22, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,093 of 3,643
Received my Kicker Tabor today. Good buy if you can get them for $100 or less.

Well done :)

b&O have a new bt headphone out too

http://www.headfonia.com/review-bo-beoplay-h8/

They're not new. You find them in my list already. Just, not very high :)
Not worth the price, ever.
But very worth 300.

Welcome

Final decisions:
Ok almost ready to take the plunge with the Plantronics but was wondering if there has been a comparison of the wireless headphones when used wired?? Might be in the sticks and not have a reliable electricity source and just out of general interest- read a review of the 10RBT's saying when wired they were a lot better than when wireless... Is this the case with all of BT?? Can't find the ATH wireless in Europe btw (but can find the wired version for £80- maybe another story!!)... Anyway heading off in a few weeks so don't really have time to try a few and send em back before I go... Also how much difference between the Plantronics and SuperTooth Freedoms is there? The Freedoms are less than 1/2 price at the moment... Cheers for any advice...

Hmm, not at all. Most BT headphones which I have sound better in BT mode.
The Supertooth have more mids than the Plantronics and less boosted bass, which I prefer for most rock and pop.
They also have lot less functions (no ANC, no Multipoint, no Open Mic, normal Aptx instead of Low Latency and Class 2 instead of Class 1 although these two things are of relevance only if you have a source which is Low latency and/or Class 1).
The Plantronics are more powerful in the bass and if you find it too much you can EQ it negatively.
The Supertooth have a good bass too anyway.
If you really find them so cheap and you do not need those extra functions of the Plantronics, go for them!
It would also be nice that another person here tries them and can give his opinion! :)

May 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #1,094 of 3,643

Yes, I have tried two other Earpads already, the ones of the AKG K845BT, which look very ok and improve the comfort and a bit the soundstage but not the bass. And the Brainwavz HM5 which improves the comfort more, and the soundstage more, and the bass more :) But look huge. So, only for home use.

I have ordered and will receive soon the Brainwavz HM9 and the Kicker Cush earpads.

I hope that one of those will be even better than the HM5 for sound, and for look.

I'll let you know.
@phchin
lately commented that he likes the HM9 more than the HM5 for being more discrete but they do not give the extra bass effect of the HM5 (thanks man for the info, and, yes, I will experiment a good EQ setting for them, although the ATH do not need much EQ for my tastes, just some extra bass with the "non HM5" pads. Eventually some subtractive EQ on the low mids. BTW, you could start using the EQ setting made for the Fidelio, make a copy and in the copy change one thing only for example change the frequency of the bass from 90 to 60 hz, and than switch between the two and see which one offer more bass. Delete the other and make a copy of the winner and change another thing, like the highs from 9000 to 12000 or the upper mids from 6000 to 9000 or to 4500, and so on... Anyway, how do you like the ATH?).

May 22, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,095 of 3,643
I'll let you know.
@phchin lately commented that he likes the HM9 more than the HM5 for being more discrete but they do not give the extra bass effect of the HM5 (thanks man for the info, and, yes, I will experiment a good EQ setting for them, although the ATH do not need much EQ for my tastes, just some extra bass with the "non HM5" pads. Eventually some subtractive EQ on the low mids. BTW, you could start using the EQ setting made for the Fidelio, make a copy and in the copy change one thing only for example change the frequency of the bass from 90 to 60 hz, and than switch between the two and see which one offer more bass. Delete the other and make a copy of the winner and change another thing, like the highs from 9000 to 12000 or the upper mids from 6000 to 9000 or to 4500, and so on... Anyway, how do you like the ATH?).

Giogio this constant talking up of the ATH is really tempting me to buy a pair just to try them out and see how they are. What are the inner dimensions of the Brainwavz HM5 pads? I can tell clearly that the stock pads are not going to be remotely comfortable for me. Did using them have any impact on the sound leakag problems you mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back