HP for orchestra, Opera voice, soundtracks, classic...
May 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Warrax

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am new here. Currently, I am considering to spend 200-300$ for best headphones, that can play classical music, or Opera, without coloration, so the voices and singing should be heard on them the closest possible to the original voice of the actor. Same would be good for orchestra, so the vibrations, that are coded into it, should stay without any coloration. A I'm listening to other stuff too, sometimes the rock and metal (Nightwish- which is also a little from Opera), but in this case, I don't mind a little coloration, I am not so sensitive here, when it is little "enhanced" from the original. But in case of Opera singing, or classic music, or soundtrack, I would like to have really sound, that is closest as possible to the original, in this case, it is really important to me. On other side, that doesn't mean, the headphones should play anything else bad, it would be nice, if they would play it also good, but impression, where those headphones sound better than only good, let's say, excellent, are the styles named above.

Currently, my sound system is: PC -> M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for digital out -> coaxial cable -> Audio-gd NFB12.1. Recordings are CD quality, or lossless format flac. Some can say, it's pretty weak for that purpose, but I am limited right now. But maybe in future, I will have better stuff, but headphones will stay I think, so I want, that they'll survive future possible upgrades.

What do you suggest?
The friend of mine told me, I should not take DT880, but SHR 940, that SHR940 is best for this purpose in that price range.

PS: I'm from Slovakia, not native speaker, so I apologize for english, that may sound weird.

The examples, that should be played as real as possible are:
Classical Music
"Atmospheric" Music
(music, in which there is combination of variety specific sounds, that are trying to create some specific feeling or atmosphere, like some music for relaxing and meditation) 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCP4NLKr2FM&feature=fvst
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju6PZzCYH_E&feature=g-vrec

Soundtracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt0UuNpUqK4
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEzy8_67VmU

Opera - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYK90z9NfIg&feature=BFa&list=PL0E7988C25269B1A8
(I have man crush on woman voice in Opera :wink:)

May 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 48
The SRH940 would be a good choice.

But I do think, if you're wanting clear sound for classical music and opera, the DT880 or Q701 are the way to go.

Another quite neutral headphone is the DT250, but I'd probably take the DT880 or Q701 over it for classical any day.

May 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 48
Quote:
The SRH940 would be a good choice.
But I do think, if you're wanting clear sound for classical music and opera, the DT880 or Q701 are the way to go.
Another quite neutral headphone is the DT250, but I'd probably take the DT880 or Q701 over it for classical any day.

Thank you for advice.
I would say, for me
Atmospheric music and Soundtracks > Opera > classical music
Atmospheric music contains also sound effects like thunders, etc... this should be played as realisticaly as possible.

May 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 48
The SRH940 is an excellent headphone in almost all ways except possibly bass. Personally I like it's bass for classical, jazz, and older rock, but some do find it a bit weak especially for genres like dubstep. I also listen to tons of atmospheric stuff and it is excellent for that type of music as well.

If you don't need isolation and can squeeze out some extra funds I would recommend the SRH-1440 as it has slightly elevated bass and an even more open sound. The good news is both of these headphones can be driven well without an expensive dedicated amp and then as you can you can add and amp into the mix and make them sound even better.

May 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:
The SRH940 is an excellent headphone in almost all ways except possibly bass. Personally I like it's bass for classical, jazz, and older rock, but some do find it a bit weak especially for genres like dubstep. I also listen to tons of atmospheric stuff and it is excellent for that type of music as well.
If you don't need isolation and can squeeze out some extra funds I would recommend the SRH-1440 as it has slightly elevated bass and an even more open sound. The good news is both of these headphones can be driven well without an expensive dedicated amp and then as you can you can add and amp into the mix and make them sound even better.

This sounds very interesting. I will check SHR-1440. I don't need closed HP. Well, maybe semi-open would be best option.

May 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 48
I have the K702's for classical music, best I've heard yet. Great for orchestral and opera, massive soundstage and uncoloured compared to other headphones in the same price band. Most people agree that they are great classical cans. They won't do any favours to bad recordings, but good recordings sound very good!

May 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 48
The akg q701 and the sennheiser hd 598s might also be good choices. I've tried them both and they have great soundstage for atmoshperic music, and they both work for classical and opera.

May 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 48
I would also recommend that you take a look at the Sennheiser HD-600, which has a very smooth, non-fatiguing, laid back, and quite neutral sound signature, IMO.  

The AKG-701/702 mentioned has a very neutral but what I would call 'lean' sound signature, and a wide soundstage.  I liked them for solo piano mainly, but finally sold them as I wasn't using them often. I personally much preferred the HD-600 for orchestral and choral works, but I think it boils down to a matter of personal taste as to the sound signature that suits you best.

May 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 48
This sounds very interesting. I will check SHR-1440. I don't need closed HP. Well, maybe semi-open would be best option.

The SRH-1440 while classified as an open headphone has some similarities to a semi-closed headphone due to the way the driver is constructed. I would say when worn it attenuates outside noise by about 20% I for example don't hear my CPAP machine running as clearly at night when wearing the headphone as compared to no headphone (this is with no music playing) they also seem to leak less music outside as compared to other open headphones as well.

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 48
Hello. One more question.
I already own Samson SR-850, which were pretty cheap (25 euro - cca 33 usd), and I've heard, they are pretty good for that price.
Will be differance between Samson SR-850 AND DT880 or Shure940 dramatic, or only a little bit more upgrade.
I am affraid, to not be dissapointed after spending so much money on new HP, that will sound only a bit better, than SR850.

Another thing, I don't undestand - after spending a short time studying DT770/DT880/DT990, I've found out, it should be same line, but DT770 are closed, while DT990 are opened, and DT880 are semi-opened. Why the hell then, DT880 are considered so much superior to DT770 or DT990? Also, I've noticed, that price for the DT880 are much more, about 50% more than DT770 or DT990. So, it seems it's not same line with just different type of "closening", or I am missing something?

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #11 of 48
Quote:
Hello. One more question.
I already own Samson SR-850, which were pretty cheap (25 euro - cca 33 usd), and I've heard, they are pretty good for that price.
Will be differance between Samson SR-850 AND DT880 or Shure940 dramatic, or only a little bit more upgrade.
I am affraid, to not be dissapointed after spending so much money on new HP, that will sound only a bit better, than SR850.

Another thing, I don't undestand - after spending a short time studying DT770/DT880/DT990, I've found out, it should be same line, but DT770 are closed, while DT990 are opened, and DT880 are semi-opened. Why the hell then, DT880 are considered so much superior to DT770 or DT990? Also, I've noticed, that price for the DT880 are much more, about 50% more than DT770 or DT990. So, it seems it's not same line with just different type of "closening", or I am missing something?

most of the time when people upgrading to higher end headphones they tend to be dissapointed because they couldnt tell any differences let alone improvements, first time I tried the DT880, I wasn't really that impressed by it, but overtime you'll start to understand the class of this headphone. DT880 will give you a lot more precise soundstage and well balanced sound with ever so slightly recessed midrange and great detail, it definitely is an improvement over SR850.

DT770/880/990 are more than just different cups.. some even has a significantly different sound sig. e.g. DT770/80ohm is the bassiest of all and even a lot bassier than the DT770/600 and they are in the same 770 closed back line up.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 48
Well ok, I want to hear A BIG differance, or at least REMARKABLE differance, when I pay so much money (they costs here 220 euro, vs 25 for Samson SR850). This seems to me then, that SR850 are already pretty good. When you cannot hear/see differance over something, it is then only 5-10% better. For example, when is something 30% better, it is remarkable, and when it is something 50-100% , it is a big differance. But this seems than +5-10% quality for 10x more price.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:
Well ok, I want to hear A BIG differance, or at least REMARKABLE differance, when I pay so much money (they costs here 220 euro, vs 25 for Samson SR850). This seems to me then, that SR850 are already pretty good. When you cannot hear/see differance over something, it is then only 5-10% better. For example, when is something 30% better, it is remarkable, and when it is something 50-100% , it is a big differance. But this seems than +5-10% quality for 10x more price.

not really 5-10% better.. a significant sound improvement is not always correlated with WOW factor. I asked almost the same question about headphones for orchestral, soundtrack classic etc. and most of the answers recommended me the Audio Technica ATH AD900.. never tried it, but the AD700 has an awesomely immersing soundstage but lacked of focus and a bit diffused, and also has anemic bass.

The AD900 however is said to be an improvement over ad700, most of the reviews I've read raved about it.. it supposably have better imaging, thicker and well rounded sound with more low end emphasis.. which is to me it would be the right recipe for orchestral music.. but then again I've never heard of it in person. so take it with a grain of salt

good luck, :)

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 48
Definitely the HD600. Whenever I listen to the K702 or the DT880, they just sound "fake" to me, particularly the mids on the K702 and the upper mids on the DT880. I like the clean sound, but I wish they were both technically further along.  Personally, to me, the HD600 is across the frequency range masterful. There are headphones out there w/ more clarity and a darker background, but for detail, balance and realistic timber, I go for the HD600. It's bass is realistic (imo) and manages not to obscure the lush mids.

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 48
^ Second that. Sennheiser HD600 would be a good choice for what you are looking for.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back