How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Feb 23, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #17 of 811
Great guide! I'll definitely keep this thread bookmarked for referencing when I get around to modding my D5k's. I must admit though, your comments about the cable tempt me to recable mine....after looking at the construction of the stock cable I was of the opinion that it's actually a decent cable and not much would be gained from recabling. Guess I was wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #18 of 811
Awesome work!
Enjoy your improved AH-D5000.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 811
Hi Markl,

Thank you for sharing with us your laborious modding procedure in such an explicative way. It looks as if even myself could try to do it hehehe.

I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate (I'm waiting for your review on the JVC DX1000) a bit more about how the R10, modded D5000 and DX1000 compare. Also if you think this type of resonance control mods could work well on the DX1000s too.

Regards.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #20 of 811
And one additional question, about something surely you've already tried or perhaps thought of: Wouldn't Dynaxorb work equally or better to absorb the driver's back radiation wave instead of Dynamat plus the foam covering the wooden cup?

Regards

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #21 of 811
I would have been deeply impressed normally...but the last passage with the cable thingy damaged plausibility for me personally. Hope this great mod will be carried out by members of team sceptical as well, so we'll see what's on.

I felt very ambivalent about the stock Denon, but also realized huge potential. If I had a D2K/D5K, I'd start the mod right away.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have been deeply impressed normally...but the last passage with the cable thingy damaged plausibility for me personally. Hope this great mod will be carried out by members of team sceptical as well, so we'll see what's on.

Another theoretician... who somehow (sigh) feels compelled to extend the 'great cable debate' to all corners of of the globe. Even this thread? Gosh, is nothing sacred these days? Can't we give Mark just this one thread without the need to defend his cable 'beliefs'? Such that hearing is believing.

Quote:

I felt very ambivalent about the stock Denon, but also realized huge potential. If I had a D2K/D5K, I'd start the mod right away.

But not the cable mod... (sigh)...

Please, let's not debate the merits/demerits of the mods proposed and so nicely outlined in this thread, sound unheard. To suggest alternative materials or other procedures that you think might possibly improve the results that Mark has achieved is fine. That would definitely be within the spirit of this thread, and I'm sure would be warmly welcomed.

But let's not debate whether any or all of these mods might theoretically even be capable of improving the sound. The purpose here is to provide encouragement and detailed instructions to support those who are willing to invest a few of their dollars and several hours of their time to do their own mods, and then report back what they hear with their own ears.

If the skeptics want to boo hoo about censorship, that's fine with me. In this case, however, I believe that it's a matter of giving proper respect and deference to someone who has stated over and over and over again that he believes that cables can do influence the sound of headphones. So let's just leave the 'great cable debate' at the door, at least for this thread.

The objectivist camp is still free (at this point in time anyway) to continue to rain on every other subjectivist parade about such matters. But that too will soon change.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #23 of 811
Excellent job, not only at designing the mod, but at describing it in that level of detail and clarity!

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #25 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... The objectivist camp is still free (at this point in time anyway) to continue to rain on every other subjectivist parade about such matters. But that too will soon change.

I'm just glad I'm enough of an "objectivist" to allow myself to be a "subjectivist" on such matters. Otherwise I'd have sold my Senns a long time ago.

That aside... Mark's committment to "finding the solution"... is "re-Mark-able!"

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #26 of 811
Thank you so much for your labor of love. Your work shows that so much of headphone design lies in the whelm of acoustics, rather than just electronics. Headphones are, after all, speakers of sort.

I hope I can make this my next headphone investment.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #27 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i still have my doubts.

Why? Have you heard the mod?

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This mod is the result of a painstaking (and painful!) process I started some time ago . . . .

This thread probably belongs on the DIY board.

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another theoretician... who somehow (sigh) feels compelled to extend the 'great cable debate' to all corners of of the globe. Even this thread? Gosh, is nothing sacred these days? Can't we give Mark just this one thread without the need to defend his cable 'beliefs'? Such that hearing is believing.

No theoretician, however, sorry for indeed misplaced behavior. Wrong thread for such statements.

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 811
This headphone has been on my list for some time... might have to order a pair and give this a go. If this beats the R10, it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the great writeup, markl!

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #30 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ecclesand,
I don't intend at this time to go into any business mod-ing these headphones. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of the whole process!
wink.gif
It takes time and patience, I won't deny that, but I'm not some noted electrical engineer or even a DIY builder of headphone amps. I'm just a dedicated layman, and I feel anyone could pretty easily do this, so long as they are patient.

That's why I wanted to share it with everyone so they could do it themselves.
smily_headphones1.gif

Never hurts to ask!
wink.gif
Obviously you put a lot of time and effort into perfecting the mod itself as well as this great tutorial...and it's appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back