How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Feb 24, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #46 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it would be to expensive for DENON to do those mods you have done, BTW there is more damping in the D2000 cups than in D5000 they did have the money for that. I guess DENON just as most other big companies have done massive reaserch, testing and measuring.

When you factor in the numbers that Denon is making their headphones, the additional costs in labor and parts might not have been deemed cost effective by Denon
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #47 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you factor in the numbers that Denon is making their headphones, the additional costs in labor and parts might not have been deemed cost effective by Denon
smily_headphones1.gif

Well we can speculate but it's all subjective anyway, I think my D2000 is best as they are, right now that is, some day my preferences may have changed
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #48 of 811
Quote:

Well we can speculate but it's all subjective anyway, I think my D2000 is best as they are, right now that is, some day my preferences may have changed
tongue.gif

Very true, we can't really tell what Denon was thinking! I am a tweaker at heart, so I can't really leave "well enough" alone most times, so I will probably do this mod when I have time.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #51 of 811
birdie00, absolutely. A good headphone is a good headphone regardless of what music is playing.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #52 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by birdie00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you reccommend these(modded) as a classical music headphone?

If the classical music you listen is fairly light on bass, the only mod you may need might be the earcups.

I just had the chance to compare an unmodded D5000 against the GS1000 and a recabled HD650 with a fellow headfier. The GS1000 and the HD650's are regarded by many as royality among classical phones, especially for big symphonic music. IMO, the only area where the Denon did not equal or trump the other two phones was in the soundstage department. I really preferred the Denon's, as long there wasn't a lot of bass in the music. IMO, it was tonally more natural in the mids and highs. I suspect if you were to do the simple earcup mod, the Denon's soundstage would get close to that of the GS1000, but I'm not sure it would reach it's width and depth?

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #53 of 811
Quick follow up.

My dad has always been a bit of an audiophile and really got me started on this whole thing way back when. Well, he borrowed my mod-ed D5000 a couple days ago, and now I can't get them back!
tongue.gif
He really can't believe how good they sound. He didn't react this way when he tried my Sony R10s.

I think he's going to buy a pair and have me mod them for him. He's a little skeptical of the $250 cable on them, but maybe he'll even go for that, too.
wink.gif

Of course, genetically speaking we share the same ears, so it makes sense we'd hear things the same way, but I know he's not impressed by much, so I value his feedback.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #54 of 811
Many congratulations mark, i have worked based on the old thread, and this is a rocking headphone with these mods.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dspargo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think we could get Larry at Headphile on board with this mod?

it will take him at least as long as it took him to create the mods for the k340.
Quote:

tongue.gif

if denon stuffed the cups, and foamed the gap we would remove them to change
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #55 of 811
i've been following markl's posts and thread regarding the d5000, as i have one for myself. kudos to markl for the mod. i got my pair as a compliment to my open headphone. i always get interested and "envious" when other legendary headphones are mentioned in our forums. thinking and wondering how good they sound. alas i have no way of getting them since my wallet is in a coma right now and i have no way of knowing whether it will wake up soon
rolleyes.gif
now that markl has posted the complete and final guide to the mod, i can now somehow get as close to a great headphone as i can, without the expenditure that it usually entails.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #57 of 811
Thanks from all of us for completing this mod!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Myself I have a set of D2000's and did just do the earcup mod and must say this makes a big difference in sound. Soundstage, detail, and air are gained, intimacy with the sound is sacrificed a bit. I will keep listening and see if my opinions of the bass on the denons are the same as yours and if so I will further mod them.

Thanks again for all your work!

oh, and forgot to ask; I used cotton in the earcup mod, would you recommend taking it out and replacing it with fiberloft?

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #58 of 811
I don't think that I would've taken as much notice of this mod thread if it hadn't been you. And when you sold your R10's!!!! Holy cow,.. how could I not try it. I've been hanging around here for a while, and I don't think there's been anyone who's championed a headphone the way you have. I don't think that it's that important that the mod makes the D5000 better than the R10 in every category. I think what is important is that we have a "new" top drawer headphone to choose from.
Great work and a testament to the fact that when it comes to audio design, technical knowledge is important, but knowing what something should sound like is more important.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #59 of 811
Quote:

I used cotton in the earcup mod, would you recommend taking it out and replacing it with fiberloft?

The Fiberloft will probably hold its shape and not compact a little bit better, but the cotton should be fine.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #60 of 811
Thanks a lot markl for this mod,

I will mod my Silver Dragon re-cabled D5000s with this mod. (I had D2000s before, got D5000s because of the first mod thread you did)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back