how easy is it to rockbox a Sansa Clip+ ?
Apr 6, 2010 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking of picking up a Sansa Clip+ (8GB model most likely) and wanted to make the most of it, so I was thinking of rockboxing it.

How difficult is the process? Is it just a matter of downloading the right file to the player and rebooting it?

I have a spare 8GB micro SD card, so it’s very hard not to want to get essentially a 16GB flash player for under $60. I’ve got a 2nd gen iPod Mini (4GB) and a 4GB Sony NWZ-A816. I’ve been sticking with my go-to cheap, bang-for-the-buck cans (KSC-75’s, Sportapros, Senn MX300 & 400’s).

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 20
Apr 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 20
I might just see if I can be happy with a stock one until they work the kinks out.

Can the Sansa Clip+ play AAC files in its stock form?

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 20
Clip+'s standard firmware supports MP3, WAV, WMA, Secure WMA, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and audiobook formats.

Sorry no AAC yet.

Cheers

Mark

P.S. Rockbox is worth the effort despite it's shortcomings, don't be put off. The EQ settings and difference it makes the overall listening experience is pretty amazing - To my knowledge no ones bricked a Clip+ yet, the build from the 31/4/10 is probably the most stable so far. (feel free to PM me if you want me to talk you through the installation).

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 20
Rockboxing the Clip+ isn't hard as long as you follow the instructions. It's got some stability issues, but it's probably stable enough to mess around with it and see if you like it or not. The latest builds are getting more stable again. AAC might be supported with Rockbox, but I can't remember. It's probably on their website. Even if you try Rockbox and don't like it, it's easy to remove, and you can still dual boot with the OF. Keep the stock firmware, and keep an updated version of Rockbox on it too.

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clip+'s standard firmware supports MP3, WAV, WMA, Secure WMA, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and audiobook formats.

Sorry no AAC yet.

Cheers

Mark

P.S. Rockbox is worth the effort despite it's shortcomings, don't be put off. The EQ settings and difference it makes the overall listening experience is pretty amazing - To my knowledge no ones bricked a Clip+ yet, the build from the 31/4/10 is probably the most stable so far. (feel free to PM me if you want me to talk you through the installation).

Just an FYI, my Clip does seem to support AAC 256KBPS on Real Audio, mine is version one without SD expansion

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 20
Hmm, I have several iPods with an extensive library of AAC files; I've just dropped several across to my Clip+ and using the standard OF the Clip+ 100% doesn't read AAC files.

The good news is that Rockbox is reading them fine.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 20
^ That's good to hear. I really want to rockbox mine but I never really mess with the EQ :/ Are there any other real benefits besides the EQ that would make it worth doing?

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ That's good to hear. I really want to rockbox mine but I never really mess with the EQ :/ Are there any other real benefits besides the EQ that would make it worth doing?

True gapless playback that works 100% of the time, crossfading, lots of custom options, games, picture viewing, and probably more. Gapless playback alone did it for me. With the EQ, I was able to get the bass I wanted out of my RE0s with a 12dB boost @ 90hz. Couldn't get that with the OF.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 20
Hmm... alright; I know it's just a software upgrade and all but I have other devices for that; but pictures on that screen? Games?

I'm not knocking it I'm just wondering if it's something I'd be interested in; I have an Archos 5 for videos/pictures. It is free though and you can't beat free.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 20
^
try it for a couple days. If you don't like it go back to stock firmware. I use rockbox mostly cuz the OF sucks (although for the fuze) but the clip+ from my short time with it was equally bad.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 20
orly? I have the lastest build and yes its better than original firmware but still buggy I have to tweak the eq and settings every time after reboot. not to mention no playlist support

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 20
you can create config files for eq and most other settings using notepad on your computer. rockbox will automatically load the file when it boots. see the manual for instructions on how to do this.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by zfmduel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
orly? I have the lastest build and yes its better than original firmware but still buggy I have to tweak the eq and settings every time after reboot. not to mention no playlist support

It's still categorized as "unstable." What should you expect? As said before, you can make a config file on your computer and copy it to your Clip+. Whatever settings you save to that file will be the default settings every time you turn it on. M3U playlists work fine on my Clip+.

Quote:

Hmm... alright; I know it's just a software upgrade and all but I have other devices for that; but pictures on that screen? Games?

I'm not knocking it I'm just wondering if it's something I'd be interested in; I have an Archos 5 for videos/pictures. It is free though and you can't beat free.

I think it can play videos too, but I'm not sure. That stuff is more of a novelty, but the EQ sure isn't. I see what you're saying, but I didn't put Rockbox on it for games and pictures. Not sure if anyone really did it for that. In any case there's certainly better devices for pictures, videos, and games. Look at the manual on Rockbox's site for more information.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 20
thx guys I copy the .cfg from my fuze and load perfectly fine!
still cant figue out how to make a playlist
frown.gif
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back