How do you carry around expensive IEMs with you?
Sep 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #61 of 113

Quote:
I just put my SM3s in my front (right) jeans pocket... works for me!
rolleyes.gif

When your SM3s break, please post about it in the SM3 appreciation forum. Thanks.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #64 of 113

Quote:
When your SM3s break, please post about it in the SM3 appreciation forum. Thanks.

Having seen how a great many people treat their expensive things in such a cavalier fashion and then how loudly they complain when they break I agree with your statement. jean pockets are not a place to be putting expensive headphones in unless you like them to break..if you do do not moan about them being fragile after the fact! I often wonder how many of the folks who be-moan their expensive headphones breaking and blame it on poor build quality do this type of thing!

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #65 of 113

Quote:
At that price it's way too much. Also why would anyone with customs use anything other than a pelican case or otterbox assuming it's of similar quality. Nothing beats those cases and I'm sure those protect even more than that oakley case :)

By that argument a steel reinforced case would provide even better protection.  Everything is a compromise between convenience and protection.  If you think the IEM manufacturers don't know this then why do they also provide the cheap, completely un-reinforced, carrying bags.

$20 is too much to carry a $1000 custom IEM?  Also try carrying a pelican case in your pocket.  Since I take care of my stuff carrying them in the Oakley vault is just as effective and much easier to deal with.  What it would take to crush the oakley vault would mean you aren't taking care of your IEMs.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #66 of 113
Arguably they're not that expensive (or flashy enough to get stolen) but one of those generic cases off eBay has been wonderful for my RE-ZERO. Very solid, pretty crush proof, IEMs fit perfectly, well-made zip, reassuringly solid canvas material, fits neatly in a pocket and it even has a little net bit inside for storing the TRRS to TRS adapters (or other tips). Best £2 +free shipping from Hong Kong I've ever spent.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #67 of 113
I just received my Otterbox 2000 today.

The inside of the case is actually PERFECT for my 3rd gen ipod Touch, Headstage Arrow, LOD, and my Sennheiser IE8's. I took pics and will post them tonight after I get home from work.

I'll likely be velcro taping my Arrow to one side of the box, and the iPod Touch on the other side

One thing that I was pleasently surprised with was that the inside of the box is already lined in some soft black plastic-like foam, so there's no need to line it in felt like I had originally planned.

The box itself closes tight and feels very sturdy. At ~$13-14 USD shipped from Amazon, I'm quite happy with my purchase.

I understand that some people feel $14 is alot to spend for just a box, but it's really nothing considering I'm carrying around ~$900 worth of gear in it. :D

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #68 of 113
Here's some pics of the Otterbox 2000. It's good if you're planning on carrying your stuff around in a backpack. No change it'll fit in your pocket though. =P

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #70 of 113
i just shove it in my pocket for IEM..
or i put it in my bag pocket...

no problem whatsoever for the last year..
and it tugged pretty frequently..

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #71 of 113
I wish they would make an Otter box as shown above but slightly longer. With my LOD added the inside dimension is a touch too small.

Having said that I made a leather pouch out of an off cut of leather and that seems to work perfectly for my amp and ipod and then the etymotic ER4S's  I just got come with a lovely pouch so job done!

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #72 of 113
I have a pair of Shure SE535's and before that Shure SE115's which cost about £100. I'd just stuff them in my bag, leave them hanging out of pockets. I really abuse my headphones. I never really worry about them getting stolen as I've always got them on me, or attached to an iPod classic.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #73 of 113
I usually keep them in a soft case in my jeans pocket. At work I leave them on the area of the counter in the coffee room where I usually put all my stuff. Mind you I know nothing will get stolen there (really an awesome set of people there), but basically just somewhere that they won't get crushed.

As long as you have a case of some sort, a jeans pocket seems to be alright so far. I just use a low profile leather case.

Now, by no means do I recommend people do as I have. If I wanted to take care of them, I would keep them in a hard case in a purse/backpack/briefcase etc.
Do as I say, not as I do
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #75 of 113
The otterbox is a bit too chunky to be pocketed. I suppose it's physically possible, but I imagine it would look rather odd, in addition to being uncomfortable. I usually keep mine in my bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back