How do you carry around expensive IEMs with you?
Sep 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #46 of 113
Will do. I'll post some pictures in this thread after I get it in. Hopefully everything fits. I'm certain the Arrow and Ipod Touch will fit. I'm just not certain about the LOD and IE8's.

Quote:
cool! tell us when you managed to squeeze them in!

btw whats the real difference between the pelican cases and the otterbox ones? :S

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #47 of 113
The soft material cushion is optional. You might have to find it else where. :). I think it is quite easy to find.

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #48 of 113
They have this foam stuff for the Pelican 1010 cases that you can cut into to make molds to hold your stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Pick-Pluck-foam-Micro-Case/dp/B000GGMMEK/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_b

I'll likely line my Otterbox with a little bit of felt to keep my IEM's from banging around. To keep my ipod and arrow from moving around, I'll most likely use velcro to hold those down.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #49 of 113
I have the foam for the 1010 as pictured earlier in this thread. I did not at all have to cut it. It fits fine on the case without any cutting done.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #51 of 113
Quote:
These Oakley Watch Vaults work great, and can fit into your pocket (if you wear loose pants).

http://www.amazon.com/Oakley-07-233-Small-Watch-Storage/dp/B000OI592W

Wow, that looks like an extremely overpriced earphone pouch with an Oakley logo, considering that generic ones run about $1.95

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #53 of 113
The one joker pictured runs on ebay for $1 or $2 from China or HK just without the shure logo. It's a great case and the one that comes with my sound magic PL30 except it has a sound magic logo on the center. It's definitely my favorite earphone case as it works great. It protects your investment well and is small in size.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #54 of 113

True that they are a little spendy, but for custom IEMs they are better than the ones you linked to because they have that raised section that allows for a better fit and they are stiffer so they provide more protection.  With the memory wire and bulkier footprint the oakley vault works a lot better than those Shure ones.
Quote:
Quote:
These Oakley Watch Vaults work great, and can fit into your pocket (if you wear loose pants).

http://www.amazon.com/Oakley-07-233-Small-Watch-Storage/dp/B000OI592W

Wow, that looks like an extremely overpriced earphone pouch with an Oakley logo, considering that generic ones run about $1.95

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #55 of 113
At that price it's way too much. Also why would anyone with customs use anything other than a pelican case or otterbox assuming it's of similar quality. Nothing beats those cases and I'm sure those protect even more than that oakley case :)

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #56 of 113
I carry my 535s in my pockets, but that is because these are built like a tank and I have a 4 year warranty with them. My Monster Miles Davis which is a lot more fragile I carry in the Miles Davis metal case it came in although since these have a lifetime warranty, on occasion I will stick them in my pockets.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #58 of 113
Using shiny expensive cases for "protection" is an oxymoron, as it just attracts more attention to your IEMS. Nothing says "please steal this" like using a bright yellow pelican case in an urban setting.  I've never thought that mine were in any danger from being smashed.  Even the plastic Ultimate Ears cases that come with the cheap earphones seem to do the trick (they use the same case from their cheap all the way to at least their 700's).  I just put the case in to the front pocket of my backpack, and I'm good to go.  A media player pocket would work even better.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #59 of 113
i used to be afraid to own nice things b/c i thought i would break/lose/get them stolen.  My solution was to simply admit to myself that i wasnt able to own stuff like that yet.  over time i developed more discipline, and awareness of my personal effects, and body, and found myself owning higher quality items.  like nice sunglasses.  I got my first pair of really good sunglasses after years of refusing to.  when i did, i just made myself some rules. and made sure the rules were workable and realistic.  you dont want to take 10 minutes to put your sunglasses away... so anyway my rules were  Get a good case.  always keep the case in the same safe place, and only put the glasses in 2 places - on my face, and in the case.  The only time i ever had issues is when i broke my rules and did something stupid. 

So the same goes for the $1700 IEM's im about to buy (JH3A)  granted its a totally custom rig so it probably wouldnt be much use if someone stole it.. but theifs dont know that..
anyway i have to weigh buying it and protecting it vs enjoying it.   part of me says dont travel with it, its too expensive, the other says of course travel with it, thats why im buying it.. portability. Freedom. 
so the solution is to be conscious... keep them in my ears, or in the case.. keep the case in the same safe place wherever i go, and do my best not to flash them around and shout to everyone "HEY I HAVE $1700 HEADPHONES".
at that point you just have to trust that you are doing your best and either admit to yourself that you can or cant handle the risk, but having a system in place and being a little prepared for tricky situations can really ad some peace of mind.  I literally have to practice with my new gear sometimes be it headphones or otherwise.. sounds silly, but hey, better than regretting a stupid mistake.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #60 of 113
I just put my SM3s in my front (right) jeans pocket... works for me!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back