How do you carry around expensive IEMs with you?
Sep 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

luvs2squizz

100+ Head-Fier
How do you carry around $100+ IEMS without worrying something will happen to them? (stolen, stepped on, ect.)
I'm probably getting some nice IEMs and I'm thinking if anyone who isn't my close friend asks about them I'll tell them they are cheap ratshack ones, am I being paranoid?
Maybe it's just because I know someone who's had their IEMs lost(stolen) in gym class (skullcandies, nothing of value lost, but he was still upset)

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 113
I use the Ultimate Ears Metallic Crush-proof Case for my customs. Give  it a a try.

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 113
That is what I have always worried about as well. I never wanted to take around expensive IEM's, as I thought they would get stolen. I never really minded with my $40 ones, but I wanted to upgrade, although I didn't want to *travel* with them, for the reasons you have stated.

My best advice is to just keep them on you. Know where they are. Getting "lost" or "stolen" is the #1 thing that happens to *things* people carry. If you know where they are, and keep them on you at all times, you shouldn't have a problem with either of those. You just have to wait until they break!
tongue.gif

Luckily, I caught a good deal on the Pro Golds. If they ever break, I can get a new pair for free. Whew, that relieves A LOT of my stress!
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 113
Haha, warranties help!

I carry my ER4's in the case it came with inside my pocket.  It always stays on me...I tell my wife no when she offers to carry it, etc..

If it ever gets stolen, I'll be ordering a new pair as soon as I get home. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 113
Having lots and lots of spares helps
tongue.gif

And I also use an Ultimate Ears case, though I prefer the slimmer plastic one to the heavy crushproof tin.

As for getting them stolen, not much you can do about that other than not letting them out of your sight. And not keeping them near your ipod/mp3 player when you have to leave them behind. Chances are the person who grabs your iPod won't have to look for the unsightly earphone case elsewhere in your stuff.

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 113
audio technica soft case in my pocket.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 113
Well not all of us have an unlimited supply of extra earphones joker :p

I typically carry 2 pairs with me on my commute. Lately that has been the Radius DDM and Eterna. I keep the Radius in the circular case that came with it and the Eterna in an altoids can. I don't worry about theft at all. You would have to mug me to take them since I don't exactly lose my stuff that easily. I've never lost an earphone ever and can't remember the last time I lost something unless a coffee thermos counts but it may have just fell off my bag.

Although if I do lose my earphones It wouldn't be too bad. I have two decent ones and some budget ones. If I lose one I'd go and buy another pair and look at the FS forums for any good deals.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 113
Quote:
Hey joker, I am interest in the UE cases in your picture, do you know which model comes with that? Do you know where I can buy one like those? Thanks!

The case can be purchased from the UE site for a fairly ridiculous $10+shipping. The color versions (blue, green, purple) come with the respective Ultimate Ears "Loud Enough" earphones which can be found for as little as $20. The gray version, which is what I have, comes with the MetroFi 170 and 220 as well as the SuperFi 5, UE700, and probably some of the newly-released models as well. I think UE has been steadily replacing the crushproof metal case, which is more expensive to produce, with the plastic one.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 113
Could i please get an inside picture of the UE crush-proof case? Is it just a hollow case or does it have any molds/holes in it to fit the earbuds? Thanks

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 113

Quote:
Could i please get an inside picture of the UE crush-proof case? Is it just a hollow case or does it have any molds/holes in it to fit the earbuds? Thanks

No molds but it has a soft felt lining.

Edit: 5555 posts 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back