How bright are Grados?
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

The HD650 is 7 times the amount of the SR60i, but its not 7 times better IMO.

For sure. I still think the basic Grados sound pretty good for their price, but I was surprised at how different the Senns were and how much that changed my preferences. It's not 7 times better, but it's a pretty significant difference.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #48 of 66
Quote:
For sure. I still think the basic Grados sound pretty good for their price, but I was surprised at how different the Senns were and how much that changed my preferences. It's not 7 times better, but it's a pretty significant difference.

Yes I do agree there is a significant difference, and the Grado's are awesome for 70$U.S., but they should not be compared.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

That's because Grado have a (strict) formula - all their headphone drivers and enclosures are almost identical in design, and the only things separating the models is the purity of the copper wires and voice coil, the materials used in the cans, and the slight tuning they do to each can and driver. So, Grado fans who already like the house sound are only looking for subtle differences when choosing a model. Sometimes they are less subtle than graphs/measurements would indicate, but that's unique to each ear. 

But a lot of Sennheisers are just totally different beasts altogether and in a lot of cases simply cannot be properly compared because of the variety of intended purpose, target market and wider variety of sounds. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #51 of 66
That's because Grado have a (strict) formula - all their headphone drivers and enclosures are almost identical in design, and the only things separating the models is the purity of the copper wires and voice coil, the materials used in the cans, and the slight tuning they do to each can and driver. So, Grado fans who already like the house sound are only looking for subtle differences when choosing a model. Sometimes they are less subtle than graphs/measurements would indicate, but that's unique to each ear. 

But a lot of Sennheisers are just totally different beasts altogether and in a lot of cases simply cannot be properly compared because of the variety of intended purpose, target market and wider variety of sounds. 

Sennheiser:

HD555

HD598

Two completely different headphones haha. You would not even think they came from the same company. Whereas the Grado model with their upselling and tier-ing get you roped into the brand. Like the SR-60? Well someday maybe we can seat you in an RS-1.

Thats how they got me half a decade ago. It's still a really bright sound and takes some getting used to. After that, it's just rainbows and butterflies. Or metal and death. Whatever you're into.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:
Sennheiser:

HD555

HD598

Two completely different headphones haha. You would not even think they came from the same company. Whereas the Grado model with their upselling and tier-ing get you roped into the brand. Like the SR-60? Well someday maybe we can seat you in an RS-1.

Thats how they got me half a decade ago. It's still a really bright sound and takes some getting used to. After that, it's just rainbows and butterflies. Or metal and death. Whatever you're into.

Wow, really? did you even ready my post properly or even understand it? I said "a lot of Sennheisers are just totally different"... not "all".  Jeez. 

Also I didn't like the RS1i, so I bought the RS2i. Now please take your arrogance somewhere else. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:
Sennheiser:

HD555

HD598

Lol....that is just how I feel....they roped me in also....but it has been a great ride and I thank them for it

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #54 of 66
To me, most Sennheiser and Grado headphones are definately not comparable. Sennheiser's house signature for some older models are mostly warm, dark carrying slight hisses. I like it thought if the hisses can be reduced. Pretty much love the HD598 as it looks cool to me although build quality dissapoint me some and most importantly, it don't have crazy bass. Would be nice if there's a combination between AKG K550 + HD598. Take some clarity, details and the deep bass of AKG K550 and the forward sound of HD598. Of corse, the size and comfort of HD598 with better build quality like the K550. Then purchase a pair of Grados. Done, my journel completed xD 

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #56 of 66
Does it sound good with other genres of music? As I find it not worthy if it is only meant for rocks.

thank you for the input! Am now looking between SR80i or SR225i
Good for rock says it all or nothing as there are so many subgenres. I listen mostly to vintage prog up to avant-prog. With the latter your headphones have to exell at all disciplines.

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #57 of 66
Sennheiser:

HD555

HD598

Greq did mean that the whole palette of Sennheiser can differ a lot depending on the targetted group and that is right. There are DJ and studio headphones that sounds completely different from the HD 600- 650 models, as such there is no Sennheiser signature as there is by the Grado. Also with the in ears of Sennheiser, there is everything from 20 Euro to 700 Euro.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #58 of 66
Grado 325is were the first "proper " headphones I bought and they felt like nails in my ears ...I was so dissappointed considering what I paid for them. I found them so painfully bright and so lacking in solid midrange it set me off on a long and fascinating search for something better ...culminating in a few headphone choices and headphone amp buys. I would wholeheartedly not recommend Grados to anybody even if you like a bright sound... the next pair of cans I bought were Sennheiser HD600's which were much warmer but lacked incision with fast transients. Ended up with Hifiman HE500's and a very nice Vioelectric V200 amp. This combination knocks spots off anything Ive heard of Grado barring their top of the range (not going there considering their "house sound" policy)
 Always always try before you buy and carefully consider a decent headphone amp.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #60 of 66
OP: How bright are grado's?
Me: About this bright:

Photoshopped in 1 hour 
biggrin.gif

Disclaimer: Grado headphones are not really this bright.

I personally like the Alessandro headphones more due to their more neutral sound characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back