How bright are Grados?
Feb 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:
I'd agree with both of your posts. Just for my own clarification though, you mean the white/pink part of the headphone, not the METAL mesh on the outside, right? (The fact that I even need to ask this should tell you the kinds of things I've heard about people doing...)

Anyways, I have a fairly big head, and fairly big ears, and wearing the RS-1 for long periods of time isn't really a problem for me - the lighter models are more comfortable (the RS-1 is one of the lightest, the SR-325 is one of the heaviest).

Yes, the white (in my case) mesh. Fabric/plastic or whatever it is, but it feels like a mildly plasticy fabric to me, huh?

Ah lucky you with the larger ears. My ears are on the small/medium side and they rub a bit, even with the reverse bowl mod. Ehh, gotta make compromises for good rock 
gs1000.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #32 of 66
Yes, the white (in my case) mesh. Fabric/plastic or whatever it is, but it feels like a mildly plasticy fabric to me, huh?

My understanding is that it's cheesecloth (or something like that) over plastic, to keep "foreign objects" out of the driver housing. The discoloration (to make "pinks") is from something oxidizing in that material iirc.

I was remembering though, about a year ago I read about a guy who lost the pads for his Grados, and just started using them "raw" :)ph34r:), and tried them backwards as well. It was...an interesting discussion, to say the least.

Ah lucky you with the larger ears. My ears are on the small/medium side and they rub a bit, even with the reverse bowl mod. Ehh, gotta make compromises for good rock 
gs1000.gif

Yeah, for me they kind of sit *just* over my ears, the bowls aren't big enough to reach beyond my ears. IMHO they're more comfortable than the ESW9, but I know that isn't the conventional experience - I will add that the foam certainly improves with time, and can be washed to make it somewhat softer. Adjusting the headband is also a good idea (adjusting the rods up/down can influence how much they clamp).

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #33 of 66
Quote:
My understanding is that it's cheesecloth (or something like that) over plastic, to keep "foreign objects" out of the driver housing. The discoloration (to make "pinks") is from something oxidizing in that material iirc.

I was remembering though, about a year ago I read about a guy who lost the pads for his Grados, and just started using them "raw" (
ph34r.gif
), and tried them backwards as well. It was...an interesting discussion, to say the least.
Yeah, for me they kind of sit *just* over my ears, the bowls aren't big enough to reach beyond my ears. IMHO they're more comfortable than the ESW9, but I know that isn't the conventional experience - I will add that the foam certainly improves with time, and can be washed to make it somewhat softer. Adjusting the headband is also a good idea (adjusting the rods up/down can influence how much they clamp).

Hmm interesting, cheesecloth. Great material, in both cheesemaking and headphones.

I've tried different pads but I won't take comfort>SQ. Yes, the foam does get better with time (about 1.5 years with my 225i). I've seen a few mods where the headband is "thickened" and the modders swore the comfort increased significantly due to less pressure against the ear. I'm not so great at modding myself, but other might!

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #34 of 66
Hmm interesting, cheesecloth. Great material, in both cheesemaking and headphones.

I've tried different pads but I won't take comfort>SQ. Yes, the foam does get better with time (about 1.5 years with my 225i). I've seen a few mods where the headband is "thickened" and the modders swore the comfort increased significantly due to less pressure against the ear. I'm not so great at modding myself, but other might!

I haven't bothered with the RS-1 headband, but I would probably argue that it's more comfortable than the vinyl (or whatever it is) headband on the SR-225 (the RS-1 and GS-1000 have a thicker/different headband). I don't know, I spent ~hour playing with them when I got them and they fit "just right" now, and feel pretty light on the head overall. They aren't like the MDR-F1 where you can forget you're wearing them, but they aren't very invasive imho. I don't remember my SR-225 being that much of a bother either. Certainly not something I'd suggest for people with very sensitive ears/skin, but they aren't impossibly uncomfortable imho.

One thing I remember being mentioned ages ago, which I can certainly attest to, is how nice they are in warm weather - they don't stick to you, or get sweaty/moist after long usage on a hot day (okay, that's probably among the most disturbing things ever written about a headphone...:ph34r:). They're one of the few headphones I regularly use during the heat of the summer, and easily the best sounding.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:
I haven't bothered with the RS-1 headband, but I would probably argue that it's more comfortable than the vinyl (or whatever it is) headband on the SR-225 (the RS-1 and GS-1000 have a thicker/different headband). I don't know, I spent ~hour playing with them when I got them and they fit "just right" now, and feel pretty light on the head overall. They aren't like the MDR-F1 where you can forget you're wearing them, but they aren't very invasive imho. I don't remember my SR-225 being that much of a bother either. Certainly not something I'd suggest for people with very sensitive ears/skin, but they aren't impossibly uncomfortable imho.

One thing I remember being mentioned ages ago, which I can certainly attest to, is how nice they are in warm weather - they don't stick to you, or get sweaty/moist after long usage on a hot day (okay, that's probably among the most disturbing things ever written about a headphone...
ph34r.gif
). They're one of the few headphones I regularly use during the heat of the summer, and easily the best sounding.

X1000 on how they are great summer cans. I remember using my HE-400 w/ pleathers during the summer... Just nasty, sticky, greasy feeling.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:
Comfort. That reminds me. I have around 7cm long ears. Isn't it made of foam or something? Lol xD

Don't take ear measurements TOO seriously. Everyone is different, I suggest trying it first before assuming. If you like them, good for you, if you don't, all part of the learning process. How are you expected to be 100% unless you haven't tried it yourself?

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #38 of 66
Don't take ear measurements TOO seriously. Everyone is different, I suggest trying it first before assuming. If you like them, good for you, if you don't, all part of the learning process. How are you expected to be 100% unless you haven't tried it yourself?

+1.

And yeah, the SR-60 and SR-80 (and I think the new SR-125 now) include all foam pads, as opposed to bowls. imho it degrades the sound quality, but they fit more like the Koss KTX-Pro or KPH headphones (which means "very well"). Might be worth consideration, and if you're buying one of the lesser models, it'll come stock that way. You can add bowls later for ~$20.

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #39 of 66
After listening to my SR 60i's for a while now, I can't seem to find the shrilling highs people have warned me about.  Now if we we're talking about IEM's, the JVC FX-40's seem way brighter to me.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:
After listening to my SR 60i's for a while now, I can't seem to find the shrilling highs people have warned me about.  Now if we we're talking about IEM's, the JVC FX-40's seem way brighter to me.

I didn't, either. Then I got Sennheiser HD650's and started using them as my main cans.... I can't go back again. DON'T GET HD650's IF YOU WANT TO STAY HAPPY WITH YOUR SR-60s
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:
I didn't, either. Then I got Sennheiser HD650's and started using them as my main cans.... I can't go back again. DON'T GET HD650's IF YOU WANT TO STAY HAPPY WITH YOUR SR-60s
tongue.gif

Quote:

The HD650 is 7 times the amount of the SR60i, but its not 7 times better IMO.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #44 of 66
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #45 of 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Back