HM-901
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,306 of 3,522
Mine is like that this too.

Quote:
Does the HM-901 read all relevant tags?

My brother has rescanned the library a couple of times, but it doesn't show song title and album. Only artist and file name.

He used Exact Audio Copy to rip the CD's to FLAC. Tags in the files are: Track#, Disc#, Title, Artist, Album, Year, Genre.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,307 of 3,522
Quote:
Mine is like that this too.

What? I can't believe it. That's really something they need to fix.

Nobody here has tags being read correctly?
- and by that I mean that at least Disc#, Track#, Track Title, Artist and Album.
It would be nice if it also read Year and Genre, but that's not very, very important.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,308 of 3,522
You can browse your music by album, artist and genre, but on the "now playing" screen, only the file name, artist and album art (cover.jpg) are displayed. As far as I can see, other tags are simply ignored.

Quote:
What? I can't believe it. That's really something they need to fix.

Nobody here has tags being read correctly?
- and by that I mean that at least Disc#, Track#, Track Title, Artist and Album.
It would be nice if it also read Year and Genre, but that's not very, very important.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #1,309 of 3,522
Quote:
You can browse your music by album, artist and genre, but on the "now playing" screen, only the file name, artist and album art (cover.jpg) are displayed. As far as I can see, other tags are simply ignored.

Okay, that helps of course, but still strange.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,311 of 3,522
Quote:
Anybody have any clue on a US launch date? I know Moon has them but I'm told it is technically not ready yet.

Could you please explain what is technically not ready yet?

I got mine from them a couple of weeks ago, I hope this is not related to a possible problem with the ones they received. Mine has been working normally as far as I can tell.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,313 of 3,522
I think he meant aesthetically noy ready yet.

I really don't know. I was told that the units are not ready yet due to some issues. That's it. I thought it was firmware related but I really don't know. I mean its strange that Head-Direct does not sell them yet but Moon Audio does. Makes no sense to me.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,316 of 3,522
I haven't heard the AK120, but I feel confident that the HM-901 has better audio components (opamp in headphone amp etc. etc.) as well as a better DAC chip and section. It also has an analog, stepped attenuator for volume control. This is a better solution than digital volume control. All in all the 901 is a non-compromise DAP in terms of best possible sound quality. You also have all the different amp cards to chose from to suit your headphones / IEMs needs - while still being a one box solution. The 901 will drive full size headphones beautifully as well as IEMs, and you can even drive them balanced if you fancy. That's actually a unique feature for a DAP. Only the two HiFiMan top of the line DAPs (801 & 901) has this.

However, if you want a very high sound quality (while not the best of the best) in a small pocket friendly size and you only plan to use it with IEMs, then AK120 may be a better choice.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,317 of 3,522
In my opinion I don't really care about the size I just want the best sound and I like the fact it's not a touch screen device obviously hifi man are seeing everyone else doing this and decided keep it nice and mechanical ,analogue. Only the dac option confuses me I have a linn music streamer and I want to try the 901s dac to see how good it's actually is this is how I will truly evaluate this device. I know it's easy to do with the ak120.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #1,318 of 3,522
Quote:
I haven't heard the AK120, but I feel confident that the HM-901 has better audio components (opamp in headphone amp etc. etc.) as well as a better DAC chip and section. It also has an analog, stepped attenuator for volume control. This is a better solution than digital volume control. All in all the 901 is a non-compromise DAP in terms of best possible sound quality. You also have all the different amp cards to chose from to suit your headphones / IEMs needs - while still being a one box solution. The 901 will drive full size headphones beautifully as well as IEMs, and you can even drive them balanced if you fancy. That's actually a unique feature for a DAP. Only the two HiFiMan top of the line DAPs (801 & 901) has this.

However, if you want a very high sound quality (while not the best of the best) in a small pocket friendly size and you only plan to use it with IEMs, then AK120 may be a better choice.

"However, if you want a very high sound quality (while not the best of the best)"

Don't want to be a ******** but you should preface these type of statements with In My Opinion = IMO

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,319 of 3,522
I own both AK120 and HM901.

From the sound perspective alone, AK120 can only close the gap in sound against the HM901 (/w balanced amp board) when playing DFF files. HM901, with the balanced amp, provide me with larger soundstage, more clarity, and drives my IEM better.

Key advantage for AK120 is the size/form factor, UI, design & finishing, and battery longetivity (12 hrs). I would go as far saying AK120 is an overall better DAP. But soundwise HM901 with anything other than the standard amp board would be an upgrade over AK120.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #1,320 of 3,522
Don't know about AK120 since I haven't heard it, but HM901 with the standard amp module easy wins over AK100 except for size. The balanced amp module just make the gap even bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back