HM-901
Apr 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #736 of 3,522
Quote:
How I feel about the jh13fp. I think you'll quite like the 1+2 but for different reasons. Best universal I've heard and we all know customs are a hassle. Worthwhile in my and your case but...

The hand made part is not that big an issue as they will still make castings taken from the actual molds. It is difficult to adjust an existing silicone ciem to fit. With 5 bores, it might be more difficult to keep them all acoustically free of ear geometry induced attenuation as there are 4 at the perimeter. I'd hope it was something like that instead of them just varying that much. My left ear has that sort of issue and I actually took care of it myself instead of doing the back and forth thing a few times. Not something I'd recommend for others but would have been impossible for me with silicone. I also probably got it better than I could have without sitting next to guy doing it. The majority of customs come out just fine but anyone not prepared to go through a bit of adjustment after the fact should probably think twice. Buying overseas only amplifies the point.

1+2 really sounds attractive, I have heard from a few people saying it's the best universal IEMs. How does it compare to JH13? I have already heard 1+2 is better than JH16, 334, K3K3 and etc. And how is the fitting? Is it comfortable enough to wear like 2-3 hours?

I will do a detailed comparison with my CIEMs when I have the 1+2 demo unit. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #737 of 3,522
Just to be clear, I find it better than 334 but that is also a matter or taste...some people will prefer the warm.mids and slow decaying bass of the 334.
1+2 really sounds attractive, I have heard from a few people saying it's the best universal IEMs. How does it compare to JH13? I have already heard 1+2 is better than JH16, 334, K3K3 and etc. And how is the fitting? Is it comfortable enough to wear like 2-3 hours?

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #738 of 3,522
Quote:

I've got a review in the 1+2 thread. I prefer my 13FPs and this is delicate because I think Gavin did a marvelous jog getting those sorted. You know how when something just sounds so right to you that it's better everywhere. That's how my 13s sound to me but the 1+2 had a bass some would prefer, mids that didn't have TWFK issues and were convincing and highs that were clear and extended without sounding too sparkly though a bit more so than the 13 (1+2 Slightly less neutral). He absolutely nailed it on the cable match he ships with it. They have a very minor u shaped response that I bet most wont notice and are more cohesive than I would expect a hybrid could be.

It sounds like you feel the same way about your personal pair of SE5s as I do about my 13s so I suspect your take will be similar to mine. You'll prefer your SE5 but really like them. Less critical listeners may actually prefer a 1+2. It's a great mix of accurate and fun.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #740 of 3,522
Quote:
I've got a review in the 1+2 thread. I prefer my 13FPs and this is delicate because I think Gavin did a marvelous jog getting those sorted. You know how when something just sounds so right to you that it's better everywhere. That's how my 13s sound to me but the 1+2 had a bass some would prefer, mids that didn't have TWFK issues and were convincing and highs that were clear and extended without sounding too sparkly though a bit more so than the 13 (Slightly less neutral). He absolutely nailed it on the cable match he ships with it. They have a very minor u shaped response that I bet most wont notice and are more cohesive than I would expect a hybrid could be.

It sounds like you feel the same way about your personal pair of SE5s as I do about my 13s so I suspect your take will be similar to mine. You'll prefer your SE5 but be tempted anyway. Less critical listeners may actually prefer a 1+2. It's a great mix of accurate and fun.

Thanks for that. I kind of get what 1+2 should sound like. If you find 1+2 is a bit V shaped compare to JH13, I might find it pretty flat (sounding more like SE5) since I do find JH product has roll off from 12k (compared to a peak at 8k, so it will sound too hot before you can turn the volume too loud to hear everything above 12k). I know JH16 isn't JH13 due to more phase cancellation of treble by deeper bass, from what I remembered, with bass light songs, they do sound very similar (probably with JH13 a tap brighter). The bass sounds something between 13 and 16.  Anyways, this is all guessing. 2 - 3 db of change at a certain part of spectrum will significant change the tone of the sound. 

I am just going to be honest to my ears. if 1+2 IS comparable to SE5, I will say that. I know what Gavin's purpose was when he made 1+2. He wanted to create a "in head speakers" which is the biggest issue with IEMs, so he might had to sacrifice some forward upper-bass/lower-mid (not to make it sounds crowded) and some liquidity and warmth on treble if he want 1+2 to sound large. That's why I find some people find it slightly lean to the analytical side of neutral, or like you said:V shaped. I do find 5 way sounds too sparkle with studio V and lee suggested 1+2 + Studio V is like one of the best combo. So coming from that, I am not worried too much about its treble.

About 901, so far I only know they will have

Standard amp,
balanced amp,
IEMs amp, which is supposed to be half efficient as balanced amp card
U235 card, power amp that has 6V outputs.
And minibox amp, which is still unknown about its function. Fang is saying it's a dedication of several years hard work from MR Three Stone.
tongue_smile.gif

IMO standard amp sounds less dynamic and slower than balanced one.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #741 of 3,522
Quote:
So back to the 901. I hear the new amp boards are lower impedance across the board. Is that correct and anybody have some #s? The stock setup certainly sounded great on the jh13FPs (28 ohms).

I think ClieOS measured the stock amp to less than 1 Ohm.

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #742 of 3,522
Quote:
Thanks for that. I kind of get what 1+2 should sound like. If you find 1+2 is a bit V shaped compare to JH13, I might find it pretty flat (sounding more like SE5) since I do find JH product has roll off from 12k (compared to a peak at 8k, so it will sound too hot before you can turn the volume too loud to hear everything above 12k). I know JH16 isn't JH13 due to more phase cancellation of treble by deeper bass, from what I remembered, with bass light songs, they do sound very similar (probably with JH13 a tap brighter). The bass sounds something between 13 and 16.  Anyways, this is all guessing. 2 - 3 db of change at a certain part of spectrum will significant change the tone of the sound. 

I am just going to be honest to my ears. if 1+2 IS comparable to SE5, I will say that. I know what Gavin's purpose was when he made 1+2. He wanted to create a "in head speakers" which is the biggest issue with IEMs, so he might had to sacrifice some forward upper-bass/lower-mid (not to make it sounds crowded) and some liquidity and warmth on treble if he want 1+2 to sound large. That's why I find some people find it slightly lean to the analytical side of neutral, or like you said:V shaped. I do find 5 way sounds too sparkle with studio V and lee suggested 1+2 + Studio V is like one of the best combo. So coming from that, I am not worried too much about its treble.

About 901, so far I only know they will have

Standard amp,
balanced amp,
IEMs amp, which is supposed to be half efficient as balanced amp card
U235 card, power amp that has 6V outputs.
And minibox amp, which is still unknown about its function. Fang is saying it's a dedication of several years hard work from MR Three Stone.
tongue_smile.gif

IMO standard amp sounds less dynamic and slower than balanced one.

Actually, the 13 is less bright and more extended sounding. The 16 is given that character to be better at it's purpose of cutting through ambient noise, being more efficient and also more fun for those looking for that. They use different bits and one character shouldn't be attributed to the other. The 1+2 sounded like it had a small treble bump and then rolled sooner than the 13. That bump is what creates sparkle, 13 has more air. I didn't find the 1+2 analytical though I could see it being a bit hot in some combos. It had a bit extra bass and plenty of midrange warmth which to me is different than the extra sparkle or etch some have had minor issue with. They were both quite open, with the 13 having a bit better focus. Quite an accomplishment for a universal.

I've noted that the standard amp I heard on the 901 was fantastic but I though the overall character a hair on the smooth side so that makes sense. IEM card looks interesting and like it may be 1/2 the balanced card.

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #743 of 3,522
Thanks your jh13 and 16 comparison sounds very accurate and believable to me. I am now a bit confused how 1+2 sound like though. Lol will have to listen to it myself to confirm

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #744 of 3,522
Quote:
Quote:
anybody knows how the 2 sabre chips work together?
using one per channel would be easy but then wouldn't we miss all the magic this chip can do to "emulate" soundstage/sound placements? as each chip would only get mono intels to work with.

There is no such a thing as 'emulate soundstage' in a DAC. As with all 2 channels digitized sound, data is stored two separated data stream since the recording. That is why most modern DAC has two copies of the same hardware inside single chip, one for each channel (or using two mono channels DAC chip combined). The better (*the least) the crosstalk between the two set of hardware, the better the resolution between individual channel, and in fact, the better the soundstage should be. The idea of using mono block design is to create better separation of circuitry physically to lower crosstalk. As with the 3D imagine coming from the just two channels of sound - those are all created by your brain, not the DAC chip(s).

i was thinking of maybe some clever play in the left/right micro-delays to let the brain play more with what it gets.  but thank you for the clear explanation

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #745 of 3,522
Quote:
i was thinking of maybe some clever play in the left/right micro-delays to let the brain play more with what it gets.  but thank you for the clear explanation

Not saying this is always the case, but you will likely find more significant 'effect' from the analog amplifying stage than on the DAC stage.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #746 of 3,522
Quote:
Thanks your jh13 and 16 comparison sounds very accurate and believable to me. I am now a bit confused how 1+2 sound like though. Lol will have to listen to it myself to confirm

If you were to listen to them at high volumes on the Studio it would be an issue IMO. But at reasonable volumes levels no problem :). I think the older Studio may be an issue though since it is noticeably more hissy. I'm not sure. Let me know what you find when you get them.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #747 of 3,522
Sent Customer Service an inquiry as to whether an international release date has been set. It was a faint hope at best, but to no avail. No date set. No further info available at this time.

Sigh, the lack of formal communication is becoming aggravating. Sorry for venting...

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #750 of 3,522
hey HifiGuy say something!
traveling around the globe to tell everybody that the hm901 would start selling at the end of march, and then just disappear in a cave in Afghanistan isn't very nice of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back