HM-901
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #287 of 3,522
Quote:
At least from early impressions of their units I don't think you're missing much at all :wink:.

good to hear i didnt make a mistake 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #289 of 3,522
The first full production unit is already out on the street. The admin of erji.net took some pictures of his HM901 and you can check them out here.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #291 of 3,522
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #292 of 3,522
Quote:

Plastic galore. Not saying that every other product out there won't break from dropping it. But I'd be very very worried if I dropped this unit and having it break apart... What is your feeling on this in comparison to other players out there? I kinda felt the same way about the 601 as well though when I had it....

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #293 of 3,522
Quote:
Plastic galore. Not saying that every other product out there won't break from dropping it. But I'd be very very worried if I dropped this unit and having it break apart... What is your feeling on this in comparison to other players out there? I kinda felt the same way about the 601 as well though when I had it....

According to Fang, it was supposed to be carbon fiber shell at first, which should be stronger than metal housing. The problem with metal shell is that it will block RF signal, which means they can't use it since a WiFi module (for audio streaming) has been planned in the future. It might also be good as the paint on HM801's metal housing isn't exactly scratch-proof. However, later testing reveals that carbon fiber also isn't too RF friendly, so the current case is made out of fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) composite that should be very tough as well. The only metal part of the housing is the battery cover, which has to be metal to allow better cooling of the battery.

If someone drops his/her HM901, I would think the screen will be the first to go and the plastic housing will be the least of concern at that point.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #294 of 3,522
According to Fang, it was supposed to be carbon fiber shell at first, which should be stronger than metal housing. The problem with metal shell is that it will block RF signal, which means they can't use it since a WiFi module (for audio streaming) has been planned in the future. It might also be good as the paint on HM801's metal housing isn't exactly scratch-proof. However, later testing reveals that carbon fiber also isn't too RF friendly, so the current case is made out of fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) composite that should be very tough as well. The only metal part of the housing is the battery cover, which has to be metal to allow better cooling of the battery.

If someone drops his/her HM901, I would think the screen will be the first to go and the plastic housing will be the least of concern at that point.

Is there any info if the final shell is different from the late October prototype that was demoed in the Fujiya Autumn Festival? Cos I held that one and I have to agree with Lee730 that that version felt plasticky. I even mentioned it to Fang who said the final will be different but looks-wise from the link you provided, looked to be the same.

The button presses on the October prototype were also of concern to me but back then as prototypes & proof of concept was sufficient.

Let's hope Fang delivered as mentioned that the final is differently constructed from the October prototype.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #295 of 3,522
I believe all the demo units are just normal hard plastic. I am not a plastic expert but I don't think you can tell normal plastic from FRP as FRP can have the same finish as normal hard plastic. Don't know about the button, but the scroll wheel is said to have improved on tightness and durability.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #296 of 3,522
What opamp is used in this dap?

And how does it compare to the DX100?

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #297 of 3,522
Coverage from Engadget, with couple of photos:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/11/hifiman-launches-hm-901-high-resolution-audio-player-we-g/

"The unit incorporates dual Saber ES9018 32-bit DAC chips, with upsampling 20 24-bit / 96kHz"
"you can bag yourself one for the uncompressed price of $999, add another $399 if you want the dock. Both shipping in March."

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #299 of 3,522
Quote:
What opamp is used in this dap?

Judging from the picture of the standard amp module, it is a single AD8397. Balanced card module should be 4x OPA627+BUF634, which is the same configuration as that on HM801.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back