HM-901
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3,391 of 3,522
So... I'm seriously considering buying a SanDisk 512GB sdxc card that has been recently released and using in my 901. Anyone tried this card yet in a 901 and what do you think? Recommended or no?

I use SanDisk SDXC cards and I am happy with them. However, the price of a 512GB SDXC card is IMO as far from value for money as you can get, so I will wait for the price to drop... I think some of the users here have 256GB cards. Maybe they will chime in ...

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,393 of 3,522
Hi everyone this is my first post in this thread as a new HM-901 owner and I am very pleased with my recent purchase :D
Exploring familiar music in hi-res is such a pleasure!!
Many thanks to all members who have contributed to this knowledge base for our benefit.
A few questions for seasoned owners.....

i) has anyone found a way to use the supplied power adapter in-flight for charging/maintaining battery charge?
I have a 20+ hour flight coming up soon o_O
I will look at buying extra batteries and charger in the near future but not right now if possible.

ii) I am interested in full sized headphone recommendations for the 901. I have all 4 Hifiman amp cards and I am currently using the RE-600. I have read many reviews but would like to know what pairs well with this player.

iii) I have ordered various tips to improve the seal I currently get from the supplied bi-flange tips on the RE-600. I am hoping for something close to the Ety seal I got from my ER4s before they were stolen. Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #3,394 of 3,522
ii) I am interested in full sized headphone recommendations for the 901. I have all 4 Hifiman amp cards and I am currently using the RE-600. I have read many reviews but would like to know what pairs well with this player.  
iii) I have ordered various tips to improve the seal I currently get from the supplied bi-flange tips on the RE-600. I am hoping for something close to the Ety seal I got from my ER4s before they were stolen. Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers

IMO The RE-600 is a no brainer for anyone who has the HM-901 with balanced card. Best value IEM I have tried so far with HM 901, So much sound quality for so little price (especially if you buy used). The double flange tips are the best for me also, have ordered a triple flange tip from ebay, will let you know how that goes. What kind of HP's are you looking at - Closed / open / portable / indoor use ?

I find the Shure SE 846 a very good match with HM 901. I recently got a balanced card & it has improved the sound stage , even when driving them single ended. Can't wait for my balanced cable to arrive.

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #3,395 of 3,522
My HD600s sound great with my 901 & minibox, for closed I'd look at Beyer or used Denon D2000/5000

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #3,396 of 3,522
@ bonitomio

For headphone recommedations it's going to depend a lot on your music and sound preferences as well as use (as mentioned above). Personally I use CIEMs for travelling / on the go and open full size at home.

I prefer orthodynamics for full size because of the transparency, tight and deep bass as well as smooth treble that I haven't found in even the best and most expensive dynamic headphones (HD800 and TH900).

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #3,397 of 3,522
  IMO The RE-600 is a no brainer for anyone who has the HM-901 with balanced card. Best value IEM I have tried so far with HM 901, So much sound quality for so little price (especially if you buy used). The double flange tips are the best for me also, have ordered a triple flange tip from ebay, will let you know how that goes. What kind of HP's are you looking at - Closed / open / portable / indoor use ?

I find the Shure SE 846 a very good match with HM 901. I recently got a balanced card & it has improved the sound stage , even when driving them single ended. Can't wait for my balanced cable to arrive

Yes I must agree with you for the price the RE-600 is phenomenal!!
Only last night I tried for the first time the comply tips that came supplied with the RE-600s.
What a change to the sound signature from the supplied bi-flange tips.
From light and airy treble notes with moderate base we know have deep, punchy controlled base and sub-base with moderate treble notes.
Ideally I want the best of both. This is a real lesson for me in how tips can be used to "tune" IEM sound signature to your liking.
We shall see what the triple-flange tips provide when they arrive.
Haven´t auditioned the SE 846s yet but it would be very interesting to try. Let us know how the balanced cable works out for you.

My HD600s sound great with my 901 & minibox, for closed I'd look at Beyer or used Denon D2000/5000

Thanks for the HD600 recommendation. I do want to try them soon but as yet don´t have a store where I can audition them.
I haven´t looked at Denon phones yet. Beyer T1s, HD800, AKG K812s, TH 900s and of course the 560s are on my to try list.

@ bonitomio

For headphone recommedations it's going to depend a lot on your music and sound preferences as well as use (as mentioned above). Personally I use CIEMs for travelling / on the go and open full size at home.

I prefer orthodynamics for full size because of the transparency, tight and deep bass as well as smooth treble that I haven't found in even the best and most expensive dynamic headphones (HD800 and TH900).

Thanks Lars for the ortho recommendation. Which ones are you using?
I listen to a very wide range of music.so your sound signature preferences sound ideal to me.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #3,398 of 3,522
I use HE-6. It's open back, inefficient (needs a big amplifier) and relatively heavy which in sum makes it a home / indoor headphone. However, if you don't need to listen at rather loud levels you can drive it directly from the Balanced amp module (with balanced drive). I do that sometimes and it still does pretty well directly from the DAP. I have modified* my HE-6 too.

After the "disclaimer" is done, I can say that the sound I get from my (modified) HE-6 beats anything and everything I have heard by a considerable margin. It is in my opinion THE allround headphone. For instance the LCD-2 has tighter bass, but is beaten into the ground in all other aspects. The HD800 is more open sounding, but it's terribly bright and harsh next to HE-6. LCD-3 is way, way too dark sounding in my opinion. TH900 has a good amount (more than neutral) of bass and a little too much treble too ... and the treble is dry sounding (just as the HD800).

Note that all these headphones are very good in their own right, but to me the (modified) HE-6 is simply in a class above the others. It has the transparency, super resolution, slightly warm and open sounding mids, good sub bass and punchy mid bass, smooth treble as well as a close to prefect frequency response. How about that! All in one (big and heavy) headphone.

* Modifications are:
Felt on magnet grill ("Fuzzor" mod), Audeze Micro Suede ("vegan") pads and removed outer grill, foam and fibres.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #3,399 of 3,522
  I use HE-6. It's open back, inefficient (needs a big amplifier) and relatively heavy which in sum makes it a home / indoor headphone. However, if you don't need to listen at rather loud levels you can drive it directly from the Balanced amp module (with balanced drive). I do that sometimes and it still does pretty well directly from the DAP. I have modified* my HE-6 too.

After the "disclaimer" is done, I can say that the sound I get from my (modified) HE-6 beats anything and everything I have heard by a considerable margin. It is in my opinion THE allround headphone. For instance the LCD-2 has tighter bass, but is beaten into the ground in all other aspects. The HD800 is more open sounding, but it's terribly bright and harsh next to HE-6. LCD-3 is way, way too dark sounding in my opinion. TH900 has a good amount (more than neutral) of bass and a little too much treble too ... and the treble is dry sounding (just as the HD800).

Note that all these headphones are very good in their own right, but to me the (modified) HE-6 is simply in a class above the others. It has the transparency, super resolution, slightly warm and open sounding mids, good sub bass and punchy mid bass, smooth treble as well as a close to prefect frequency response. How about that! All in one (big and heavy) headphone.

* Modifications are:
Felt on magnet grill ("Fuzzor" mod), Audeze Micro Suede ("vegan") pads and removed outer grill, foam and fibres.

That is a very strong endorsement indeed.
I admit I have been interested in the HE-6 for some time but until now have left it to one side after reading many reviews that recommend it be driven by full sized amps or even mono-blocks that are designed for speakers. As such I imagined that they would be next to useless driven by the HM-901.
I am encouraged that they could be used by this DAP even if its not at its full capacity.
The sound signature that you describe sounds absolutely ideal to me.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with many quality headphones that I am yet to audition.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #3,400 of 3,522
  That is a very strong endorsement indeed.
I admit I have been interested in the HE-6 for some time but until now have left it to one side after reading many reviews that recommend it be driven by full sized amps or even mono-blocks that are designed for speakers. As such I imagined that they would be next to useless driven by the HM-901.
I am encouraged that they could be used by this DAP even if its not at its full capacity.
The sound signature that you describe sounds absolutely ideal to me.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with many quality headphones that I am yet to audition.

You are welcome.

As you already know there are (many) others who won't agree with my assessments. They obviously experience things differently than me. However, I can say this:

Whether I use the HM-901 with Balanced amp card or via line out into Burson Soloist, Audio-gd Master 6 or even my 50W class A speaker amp, I get the same balance between bass, mids and treble. There is of course difference in terms of transparency, neutral versus slightly warm mids etc. and naturally in max volume, but in terms of balance I hear no difference.

I even took the time measuring the difference between the Soloist (1.7W) and Master 6 (7W) and the measurements confirmed what I heard: No difference between the much more powerful amp and the "barely adequate" amp. Measurements were done at 70dB and 101dB and showed no sign of balance tilt between to two levels with the Soloist versus Master 6. The latter will of course play louder than the former, but in the practical world I don't have any limitations with the Soloist. It might have too little gain in an extreme situation where there could be a very low level track and a desire to play that very loud, but I don't recall having that problem yet.

Consider a speaker setup: You have a 50W amp and speakers with a sensitivity of 90dB. Would you have experts telling you over and over that your amp is way too weak? I doubt so. Most likely you will be told that you are fine, because 90dB is quite sensitive for a speaker and 50W is reasonable to start with. Undistorted peaks in this (speaker) setup will be around 107dB. In the HE-6 with Soloist scenario you will have clean peaks around 109dB (and in addition the impedance curve of the HE-6 makes it an extremely easy load).

Why do people feel the HE-6 is bass shy with lower powered amps? Because in stock condition HE-6 has too much treble and the (earlier HiFiMan) pads doesn't seal well. When they turn up the volume, they will experience more bass and think more power / current is the answer. This is not necessary: Put on the "vegan" pads with double sided tape and you will hear the bass is there. Put felt on the inner magnet grill and the excess treble is gone. Remove the outer grill, foam and fibres at the sound opens up. Wow - what a headphone it is now!

Please note that the maximum output level with HM-901 and Balanced amp feeding the HE-6 is limited. It will usually be loud enough, but it won't be able to play really loud. Modernly mastered pop and rythmical music will be plentifully loud (in my opinion), but if the track(s) are at a low level, there may not be enough gain to play as loud (or louder) than you'd prefer to listen.

This being said, it would be helpful to remember that the required power (measured by InnerFidelity) to reach 90dB with HE-6 is slightly less than 20mW (twenty milli-Watts). 90dB is quite loud as an average level, but then we have peaks that calls for a headroom from a few dB's to maybe 20dB or even more in some extreme recordnings and in these situations you will feel that there is not enough volume directly out of the HM-901.

To sum it up: the frequency balance (including bass level) will be just fine out of the HM-901, but on some tracks you will probably feel that you can't play as loud as you'd like.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #3,401 of 3,522
Lars I could never hope for a more comprehensive and informative response to my questions.
Your diligence and generosity in sharing your experiences with us is duly appreciated and valued.
Many thanks!!

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #3,402 of 3,522
  Lars I could never hope for a more comprehensive and informative response to my questions.
Your diligence and generosity in sharing your experiences with us is duly appreciated and valued.
Many thanks!!

You are most welcome!

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #3,404 of 3,522
Partially yes, but that may be only for Chinese customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back