HM-901
Aug 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,001 of 3,522
Largely agree with your findings on V2.00. I immediately noticed cleaner mids, better separation of instruments. Very welcome SQ improvement, and I was already satisfied with the 901 sound from V1.058. Now my issue is that every track is slightly truncated at the beginning, seems like the first 0.5 seconds of the track is cut off abruptly. Hopefully this will be resolved in the final version.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a time display on the 901. I thought it would be basic enough to be implemented into the UI. Kinda sucks when I'm enjoying my music in bed at night and not know what the time is..l often end up losing a bit of sleep because I lose track of time, being totally absorbed into the melody (not sure if good or bad thing).

The time display seems such a basic feature but it needs a battery to save the settings between battery chages other way you have to set the time every time you change the battery. I think that Fang
didn't think it was so important. Well, you know "SQ over convenience". My friends get surprised when learn the price of my gadget that doesn't even play video... well, not even display the time... :)

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #3,002 of 3,522
Yeah, i've tried that, thanks. Maybe my update file is corrupted. It attempts to load the new firmware but then abruptly says "firmware error", then just automatically shuts down. I'm re-downloading the update file again. Hopefully it'll work this time around. 

Update: Ok, so I managed to resolve my issue. I was downloading the update from my Mac and it would automatically unzip the file after downloading. So I manually re-compressed the update file and my HM-901 would not read it. In the end, I downloaded the file from my Windows PC and the HM-901 updated without any hiccups. Damn Apple :/

You can actually select within preferences of Safari and unclick the option to automatically open safe files (which in the case if zip files means they are unzipped for you).

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,003 of 3,522
The time display seems such a basic feature but it needs a battery to save the settings between battery chages other way you have to set the time every time you change the battery. I think that Fang
didn't think it was so important. Well, you know "SQ over convenience". My friends get surprised when learn the price of my gadget that doesn't even play video... well, not even display the time... :)

lol that cracked me up a bit. My friends never believe me when I tell them the price of the 901. They thought it was at most $300 because of its looks. Maybe they'll believe the AK price tho :p 

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #3,004 of 3,522
You can actually select within preferences of Safari and unclick the option to automatically open safe files (which in the case if zip files means they are unzipped for you).

Yeh, I unchecked the box but it somehow still unzipped it for me. Couldn't figure out why so I moved over to my PC instead. But its on V2.00 so all good, i'm enjoying the snappy feel of it. Some kinks to iron out especially with skipping tracks, but i'm sure it'll be resolved in future updates. 

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #3,005 of 3,522
Does the new UI show cover art in it's current beta/demo version? If so - is it still only show in folder browsing mode or does it read embedded cover art from FLAC files (like it should IMO)?

Aug 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #3,007 of 3,522
Does the new UI show cover art in it's current beta/demo version? If so - is it still only show in folder browsing mode or does it read embedded cover art from FLAC files (like it should IMO)?

The demo only shows the mp3 ones. But the standard one will show for every type of files. 

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3,009 of 3,522
Had to switch back to the old firmware..

The taiji 2 demo has another big bug for my 901. 

For those who experience channel imbalance after turning on the 901, which can be fixed by plug/unplug the earphone several times, or turn on/off the "balance/normal" switch, once it's fixed it will be fine until you switch 901 off. But the new firmware does it almost every time when I play a new song. so annoying. I think it's because the new firmware plays a song much faster, the UI (with that little pop sound) didn't have enough time to adjust the sound to the centre. 

This issue has to be fixed in the final version! 

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3,010 of 3,522
Had to switch back to the old firmware..

The taiji 2 demo has another big bug for my 901. 

For those who experience channel imbalance after turning on the 901, which can be fixed by plug/unplug the earphone several times, or turn on/off the "balance/normal" switch, once it's fixed it will be fine until you switch 901 off. But the new firmware does it almost every time when I play a new song. so annoying. I think it's because the new firmware plays a song much faster, the UI (with that little pop sound) didn't have enough time to adjust the sound to the centre. 

This issue has to be fixed in the final version! 

It might be hardware problem, which happened to some users even with earlier firmware. I don't have this channel imbalance problem w mine on either firmware. So far really enjoy using the new Taiji2 firmware. :)

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #3,011 of 3,522
I have never had a channel imbalance on the 901. I am running the new Beta right now, but no imbalance or odd functioning. 

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,012 of 3,522
It's weird because with the early firmware, the imbalance only appears in the first song I play after I switch on the unit. 

Might need to send it back if this problem is getting worse. I actually prefer the sound of the new firmware, the sound difference is pretty obvious.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3,014 of 3,522
Stupid question but are you sure it is related to firmware. Have you tried readjusting the amo card?

I did. I checked the amp card, it's perfectly locked in place. I have seen some people having this issue, and Hifiman custom service told them to use the normal/balance switch to solve it. This is indeed annoying with the new firmware. No disrespect to Chinese DAPs (I am Chinese myself), there seems to be always some problems here and there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back