HM-901
Aug 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,986 of 3,522
Oh? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but how does fast scroll work on the HM-901? I've not experienced this function so far. I've tried scrolling through my songs and it took ages to get down to the end of the list. Would the fast scroll be akin to the scrolling on iPod Classic where it jumps to alphabetical order?

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #2,987 of 3,522
Oh? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but how does fast scroll work on the HM-901? I've not experienced this function so far. I've tried scrolling through my songs and it took ages to get down to the end of the list. Would the fast scroll be akin to the scrolling on iPod Classic where it jumps to alphabetical order?

Think he means when you scroll the wheel manually really fast. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #2,989 of 3,522
Yeah I tried that, scrolled really fast through my song list but fast scrolling didn't initiate
frown.gif
I'm running FW 1.058 v3 btw

The old firmware does work, although it's not as efficient as iPod, you can still fast scroll the list. The taiji 2 does not work at all. You will have to watch it one by one.. 
mad.gif

Quote:
tupac, could you be a kind soul and let us know when the FW update comes out for the 802? That would be much appreciated. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course I will:)

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,990 of 3,522
  trying out fw 2.0 (coming from 1.085 v3)

functional comparison:
- boot up a little slower 
- better navigation
- digital filter gone
- two sleep option?

@Kiats and I were just testing out the dual sleep functions.

In case anyone is wondering, the first one is the usual sleep function that we've seen thus far. The second one powers off even when the player is being used. I honestly do not know what scenarios I would want to use the second one for, seriously. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,991 of 3,522
@Kiats and I were just testing out the dual sleep functions.

In case anyone is wondering, the first one is the usual sleep function that we've seen thus far. The second one powers off even when the player is being used. I honestly do not know what scenarios I would want to use the second one for, seriously. 
Like listen music while falling asleep? :wink:

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #2,992 of 3,522

You are correct: that was the origins of the sleep function in many of these music stations or radios - so that you didn't have to get up and switch off as you are being lulled into dreamland by the soothing music. :)

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #2,993 of 3,522
Just updated to firmware 2.001 right now. I agree as previously mentioned by other users that the mids and highs are more focused and clearer. Bass is still as good as it used to be. As for the UI, I'm liking the new look. I feel that the UI itself is adequate for a music player. It's obviously not and will never be as great as the AK240 UI, but it is reliable enough.

The only thing that bothers me right now is I hear very soft static at the start of a song whenever I change to another song in a different album. The static is not there if I change to another song in the same album as the song I am currently listening to. 

Not sure if other users have experienced the same.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #2,994 of 3,522
I'm having some issues trying to update my HM-901to V2.00. After entering the recovery mode screen, it says "update interrupted", "file not found". So I press the "Back" button and it suddenly says "update completed" and shuts down automatically. But when I reboot it, it still reverts back to firmware 1.058 V3. Not sure what gives? I'm using a new SD card (FAT32). 

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #2,995 of 3,522

The pop from shutting down will probably wake you up. Haha. Might switch off before you actually fall asleep as well unlike the original sleep function that switches off only when there's nothing playing for a set amount of time. 

Then again, I listen by albums so I can see where this one might be useful for people listening with longer playlists like artists etc.

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #2,996 of 3,522
  I'm having some issues trying to update my HM-901to V2.00. After entering the recovery mode screen, it says "update interrupted", "file not found". So I press the "Back" button and it suddenly says "update completed" and shuts down automatically. But when I reboot it, it still reverts back to firmware 1.058 V3. Not sure what gives? I'm using a new SD card (FAT32). 

Is there anything else on your card? Try an empty card with just the update file and see if that works. Format the card again as well in case. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #2,997 of 3,522
Yeah, i've tried that, thanks. Maybe my update file is corrupted. It attempts to load the new firmware but then abruptly says "firmware error", then just automatically shuts down. I'm re-downloading the update file again. Hopefully it'll work this time around. 

Update: Ok, so I managed to resolve my issue. I was downloading the update from my Mac and it would automatically unzip the file after downloading. So I manually re-compressed the update file and my HM-901 would not read it. In the end, I downloaded the file from my Windows PC and the HM-901 updated without any hiccups. Damn Apple :/

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #2,998 of 3,522
The pop from shutting down will probably wake you up. Haha. Might switch off before you actually fall asleep as well unlike the original sleep function that switches off only when there's nothing playing for a set amount of time. 

Then again, I listen by albums so I can see where this one might be useful for people listening with longer playlists like artists etc.
Looks like a little inconvenient. As you says it's easier just to listen an album instead a long playlist. There's a chance that they will improve it in the future. Anyway it's a non-essential function.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #2,999 of 3,522
Just update to V2.00. The sound is definitely better to me, specially in complex recordings, the instruments sounds more detailed and defined. The UI looks better, personally I don't like the animations but it's the usual nowadays. The start up of the player still has its pop sound at start. The playback it's not perfect, I got the beginning of the tracks cut in some situations plus a weird soft sound like a fast ticking predominantly on the left side before playing a selected track and some cracks and pops while playing. Also I'm not getting gapless playback (test cue support on and off).
I would be completely satisfied if HiFiMan would solve the playback issues on the old formware, basically the beginning of some tracks cut off and keep the gapless payback.
I want to think that they choose make everything from scratch than fix the old firmware, so I expect that the playback issues will be addressed in future updates.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #3,000 of 3,522
Just update to V2.00. The sound is definitely better to me, specially in complex recordings, the instruments sounds more detailed and defined. The UI looks better, personally I don't like the animations but it's the usual nowadays. The start up of the player still has its pop sound at start. The playback it's not perfect, I got the beginning of the tracks cut in some situations plus a weird soft sound like a fast ticking predominantly on the left side before playing a selected track and some cracks and pops while playing. Also I'm not getting gapless playback (test cue support on and off).
I would be completely satisfied if HiFiMan would solve the playback issues on the old formware, basically the beginning of some tracks cut off and keep the gapless payback.
I want to think that they choose make everything from scratch than fix the old firmware, so I expect that the playback issues will be addressed in future updates.

Largely agree with your findings on V2.00. I immediately noticed cleaner mids, better separation of instruments. Very welcome SQ improvement, and I was already satisfied with the 901 sound from V1.058. Now my issue is that every track is slightly truncated at the beginning, seems like the first 0.5 seconds of the track is cut off abruptly. Hopefully this will be resolved in the final version.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a time display on the 901. I thought it would be basic enough to be implemented into the UI. Kinda sucks when I'm enjoying my music in bed at night and not know what the time is..l often end up losing a bit of sleep because I lose track of time, being totally absorbed into the melody (not sure if good or bad thing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back