HM-901
Mar 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,674 of 3,522
Yes, with 1.085b it automatically switches when plugged into the dock and switched to an input other than "Player".  You need to switch back to "player" before unplugging when you disconnect from the dock.

Now all we need is the Windows driver for this dock.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,675 of 3,522
Since this digital filter is only available to HM901 and not HM802 (where both runs on the same hardware besides the DAC section), I'll venture a guess and say the digital filter is referring to the filters built into ES9018, which allows user to set between either a slow or a sharp roll-off.

Its exactly that. It has been turned off except in this beta firmware 1.081Beta which was set to on. Some customers like how it sounds and hence the new firmware allows us to choose it.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,679 of 3,522
would you say that this player is still at the top end of the DAP ladder? I heard comments about how it is on par with the ak 240 and have better overall sq compared to other flagship dap , I may get one of these at the end of the year if it pops up for cheap in my country

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #2,680 of 3,522
As far as I've personally heard, the HM-901 is the best sounding player.  While the HM-901 is clearly not the best when it comes to UI and features, at least the UI can be addressed (to some extent) through software updates.  Hardware is usually not able to be changed once it's released, so Sound Quality improvement has a much smaller potential.

While I wish the HM-901 had built in USB connectivity without the need for a large dock, maybe there will be a smaller portable dock in the future?  Who knows.  But for now it's the best sounding DAP out there.  But the market is getting more and more crowded.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #2,681 of 3,522
  As far as I've personally heard, the HM-901 is the best sounding player.  While the HM-901 is clearly not the best when it comes to UI and features, at least the UI can be addressed (to some extent) through software updates.  Hardware is usually not able to be changed once it's released, so Sound Quality improvement has a much smaller potential.

While I wish the HM-901 had built in USB connectivity without the need for a large dock, maybe there will be a smaller portable dock in the future?  Who knows.  But for now it's the best sounding DAP out there.  But the market is getting more and more crowded.

thanks for the reply, can i ask what player have you heard as a comparison? is the ui comfortable for tag browsing?

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #2,682 of 3,522
  thanks for the reply, can i ask what player have you heard as a comparison? is the ui comfortable for tag browsing?

AK240, AK120, HM-801, HM-802 so far. 

Haven't had quality time with the AK240 for head to head.  Had time spent listening at 2 different occassions.  But used same files on both players side by side.

The HM-901 UI is able to browse by Artist, Album, Genre, etc.  Works pretty well, but I prefer to folder browse.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #2,683 of 3,522

AK240, AK120, HM-801, HM-802 so far. 

Haven't had quality time with the AK240 for head to head.  Had time spent listening at 2 different occassions.  But used same files on both players side by side.

The HM-901 UI is able to browse by Artist, Album, Genre, etc.  Works pretty well, but I prefer to folder browse.

I've got a demo AK240 with me. Need to burn it in a little though. Can compare it with my HM-901 tonight. Despite both having balanced amps, I don't have the right 2.5mm for the AK240 so comparison will be in SE mode only. Any other particular criteria ppl want me to compare? Otherwise it'll be a generic comparison and most likely with FitEar MH335DW CIEMs.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2,684 of 3,522

I've got a demo AK240 with me. Need to burn it in a little though. Can compare it with my HM-901 tonight. Despite both having balanced amps, I don't have the right 2.5mm for the AK240 so comparison will be in SE mode only. Any other particular criteria ppl want me to compare? Otherwise it'll be a generic comparison and most likely with FitEar MH335DW CIEMs.

Hi Sean

Will you compare which one has a better line out?

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2,685 of 3,522

Hi Sean

Will you compare which one has a better line out?

I don't have that fancy adapter thing for the AK240 so it'll just be a 3.5mm->3.5mm with the software setting enabled fro lineout. That ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back