HM-901
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #2,641 of 3,522
As a do all amp card is the balance card of equal or better quality than the IEM card if used to drive iems?

I had been trying to post a write up on my impression on all seven 901 amp boards I have but real life intervened too much and I recently misplaced my RE600 (was trying to give my view on different types of IEM and the RE600 is my best dynamic driver representative) and had since put this on the back burner...

You question don't really have a simple answer. The answer depends on the specific IEM pairing, and your preference of genre and sound. I may be able to give you more info if you can articulate more on your use case and preferences and what attributes are most important to you.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #2,642 of 3,522
I will be using it with JH13, music listened is trance, jazz and rock.

Does that help ?

For these genres on JH13 broadly speaking, amongst the hifiman cards, I like minibox the best. Love the musical yet powerful delivery of bass. Biggest caveat is that due to JH13's sensitivity you don't get many usable volume clicks - anything over 2.5 (just 6 steps from 0/mute) may already be too loud for safe listening. There could also be some minor hissing on really quiet passages (but should be lower than background noise from live recordings).

If fine-tuning volume and hiss is a big concern, you would want the IEM card. It has a black background, smoother presentation but attack notes with less authority than minibox which makes it less preferable for trance/rock.

Avoid the Classic board as it could be too "slow" for trance and also has highest hiss among the cards with JH13. Though it is very good at pop/voval jazz etc.

* Do note that the mentioned hiss level is just relative to other 901 amp boards and even with the Classic board I found it while not ideal but is still acceptable.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2,643 of 3,522
For these genres on JH13 broadly speaking, amongst the hifiman cards, I like minibox the best. Love the musical yet powerful delivery of bass...

If fine-tuning volume and hiss is a big concern, you would want the IEM card. It has a black background, smoother presentation but attack notes with less authority than minibox which makes it less preferable for trance/rock.

Exactly what I felt. That's why I only keep the minibox card and sold all the other cards already :). It works great w both IEMs and easy to drive full sized headphones.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,644 of 3,522
At the end of the day, it all depends on the synergy between a particular amp card and the iems or cans you have. With the array of amp cards, you can use the same DAP with a range of iems or cans by swapping in the most synergistic amp card. Much joy! :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,645 of 3,522
I had been trying to post a write up on my impression on all seven 901 amp boards I have but real life intervened too much and I recently misplaced my RE600 (was trying to give my view on different types of IEM and the RE600 is my best dynamic driver representative) and had since put this on the back burner...

You question don't really have a simple answer. The answer depends on the specific IEM pairing, and your preference of genre and sound. I may be able to give you more info if you can articulate more on your use case and preferences and what attributes are most important to you.

You wouldn't happen to be in HK from the 9th to 12th, would you? =] 

Dying to try the Angel and Discrete cards.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #2,647 of 3,522
Anyone know where to get the Angel and Discrete Cards. Asking is because I couldn't find on the maker website

Those two cards are not officially made by hifiman. They are developed and made by some individual developer in China. Currently even he himself doesn't have any left. The only way to get them is to buy from secondhand market in China.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2,649 of 3,522
Hey everyone.

Is there a way to test whether my HM-901 is experiencing channel imbalance?

Its not apparent all of the time, but occasionally the music sounds one sided and a bit wonky, like its not filling my head. It may be the recordings or my own perception, but I'd like to check..

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2,650 of 3,522
This problem happens to few hm901s I think. Just push the balance/unbalance toggle switch up and down a few times when the channel imbalance happens (with the headphone plugged in), usually this will fix the problem.

The other way to minimize this problem is to turn on the player w the headphone plugged in first, instead of turning it on, then plug in the headphone jack. This might not be the cure, but helps.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #2,651 of 3,522
Hey everyone.

Is there a way to test whether my HM-901 is experiencing channel imbalance?

Its not apparent all of the time, but occasionally the music sounds one sided and a bit wonky, like its not filling my head. It may be the recordings or my own perception, but I'd like to check..

Or try to re-insert the amp board. Sometimes the loose card will produce no sound at all, but sometimes will screw up the channels (like vocal only on right, music in left)

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #2,652 of 3,522
I practically don't have channel imbalance issues with my unit - but - I have had the issue once. This happened while listening and I really was worried that one of my IEMs were broken. Then I tried other IEMs and headphones. However, after a reboot the imbalance was gone.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #2,653 of 3,522
I practically don't have channel imbalance issues with my unit - but - I have had the issue once. This happened while listening and I really was worried that one of my IEMs were broken. Then I tried other IEMs and headphones. However, after a reboot the imbalance was gone.

The thing I got is not really an "channel imbalance" as in different volume on L and R but was having some sounds that are supposed to be on the left going to the right, while still having some sound "remaining" on the left for a really weird overall sound.... reboot didn't fix it but reinserting the amp board fixed it.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,654 of 3,522
The thing I got is not really an "channel imbalance" as in different volume on L and R but was having some sounds that are supposed to be on the left going to the right, while still having some sound "remaining" on the left for a really weird overall sound.... reboot didn't fix it but reinserting the amp board fixed it.

I know what you mean, kkcc. I experienced that issue one listening session but not since then. I was in a slight state of panic: I thought I was going deaf in my right ear...  
eek.gif

Think of all the headphones I'd have to give away...

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2,655 of 3,522
The latest 1.085beta firmware works pretty well with cue list, boots up much faster too. So far the best firmware I've tried on HM901. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back