HM-602 Portable Music Preorder
Oct 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #436 of 641
Oct 13, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #437 of 641

Quote:
Hmmmmmm , anyone read this ... it was linked on the headphonia site under "Need help importing HM-602"

http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/need-help-importing-hifimam-hm-602-a-173655-4.html

No, I haven't seen it but it is not the first time I've seen products being critiqued for whatever reason.  If a product is substandard or it breaks or you simply don't like it, return it and buy something else.  Vote with your wallet and share your experience, good or bad so we can all benefit.

In my opinion the comment about the NOS Phillips DAC was below the belt, because Fang has disclosed this when he announced the product.  Everybody wants top quality for little money.  That can't be done on a sustainable basis and something has to give.  Using this quality DAC that was available at low cost was one reason why he was able to offer a smaller, nearly as well performing new DAP for about half the cost (even ignoring the RE-262 offer) than the 801 and customers who previously couldn't afford the 801 now can fit the 602 in their budget.  For this, he gets dinged and that is not fair, in my opinion.

Most of these DAPs are handbuilt unlike an Apple iPhone or iPod without using automation.  I've seen the HM-801 improve with each batch and I know Fang went back and replaced the first series free of charge.  So, if the thing breaks--which could happen with any of electronic or mechanical device--the important thing is that if it breaks, the manufacturer stands behind it.  Still an inconvenience, of course, but it is an iterative process.

For example, I did have to return a portable amp four times for various quality issues until one was sent that worked perfectly.  I did it because I understood the difficulties in building and fine-tuning these super-compact devices and our feedback as customers is important.  The builder took that feedback, kept replacing the device without any issue, and the 5th version included the requested improvements and now it's better than ever and one of my favorite amps.  If the vendor has this kind of attitude and willing to stand behind their products--which Head-Direct has been doing--I have no problem working with them.  If they do not, I'll take my business elsewhere and will not recommend them based on that experience.  It is simple as that for me.

Unhelpful critiques stemming from whatever alternate agenda bothers me a great deal.  If someone has a better idea or superior skills to design and build a better product at the same or cheaper price, fine, make it happen and if it is truly better, I'll buy that instead.  But bringing a product to a competitive market requires far more than great soldering skills and critiquing is much easier than actually accomplishing something.

Sorry about the rant, I have nothing more to say about this.

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #438 of 641
^ lol thats my thread...as i dont have credit card i asked a friend at techenclave to make the payment.

I ordered the HM-602 for their sound quality only.

people do feel safer with a better build product though.

every has their own openion ....you cant argue on that .. ..
.more over in india shipping takes a lot of time ....( my sflo order took 2.5 months) to reach....so returning the product  in case of a fault (warranty) is a big deal.... really.   imagine waiting 3 months for a replacement.
items get stuck in the customs for around a month!

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #439 of 641

Quote:
^ lol thats my thread...as i dont have credit card i asked a friend at techenclave to make the payment.

I ordered the HM-602 for their sound quality only.

people do feel safer with a better build product though.

every has their own openion ....you cant argue on that .. ..
.more over in india shipping takes a lot of time ....( my sflo order took 2.5 months) to reach....so returning the product  in case of a fault (warranty) is a big deal.... really.   imagine waiting 3 months for a replacement.
items get stuck in the customs for around a month!

I'm obsessed with quality also, but there are always tradeoffs in any product design and manufacturing process.  Taking any iPod as a baseline, you have a much more sophisticated UI, elegant external design and overall a very high quality product for what it does, which made it the most successful media player in history (arguably).  But Apple R&D has hundreds of millions of dollars or more to invest in product development and enhancement.  Upstarts like Head-Direct simply can't compete with that, not when they only sell hundreds or maybe a couple of thousand units of each model during their lifecycle.  I don't know the details, of course, so that's just a guess.

The 602 and the 801 are designed to fill a niche market and are designed to sonically outperform most everything out there in their classes.  Would I pay more if a CNC-drilled titanium casing was an option, say, $200?  I would, but would that enhance the sound quality?  No, it would just look more classy and sophisticated and when you hold it in your hands, it actually has a pretty decent look and feel. 

I am sympathetic with your plight in India, it must be frustrating to have to wait that long for stuff to arrive and especially if you have a defective item on your hands.  I know that Head-Direct had stepped up their Q&A vs. when the initial batch of 801s were launched, so they are making progress in the right direction.

I know that the initial reaction of those who received it has been overwhelmingly favorable, as far as the long-term reliability is concerned, time will tell.  You can bet that bad news travel a lot faster than good ones, not always, but in general....
wink_face.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #440 of 641
Not like people on this forum are scared of ripping open their 602s and posting pics of the guts.  As long as everything is where its supposed to be and the craftmanship on mine looks as good or hopefully better than iBasso stuff I've seen I'll be happy.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #442 of 641
^ yeah Head-direct's costomer service is a lot better than mp4nation's.
they immediately respond to messages. And are reasonable.( listen to reasons as well)

I had paid extra for ems shipping for my sflo2 order and then it returned back (the address was correct, have received many items on the same )...i asked for a refund ( minus the extra i paid , which was $18) but they said they will deduct $35 for refund. i had to pay again for shipping
frown.gif
. Mp4nation customer-care sucks!!

But when a friends Head-direct order returned back, they shipped it again without any additional shipping charges.

EDIT : i am still waiting, i ordered on 28th august though.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #445 of 641

Quote:
I ordered on the 22nd and am still waiting also but i'm hoping it is somewhere in transit by now. No shipping notice but i don't think head-direct hands them out. 
regular_smile .gif

I ordered on the 17th August and still waiting too (no shipping notice neither, but I never had any from head-direct anyway)

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #447 of 641
We are manufacturing a big batch now. We plan to ship all orders later next week. We have already shipped orders before Aug 24th. For those who paid before Aug 24th, please contact head.direct.customerservice@gmail.com if you did not receive any tracking info from you paypal email.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 14, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #448 of 641

Quote:
We are manufacturing a big batch now. We plan to ship all orders later next week. We have already shipped orders before Aug 24th. For those who paid before Aug 24th, please contact head.direct.customerservice@gmail.com if you did not receive any tracking info from you paypal email.

I've waited this long... take your time with mine! 
biggrin.gif

jriling

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #449 of 641

Quote:

E-mail sent for tracking info.  8/10 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back