High End Closed Headphones (More and more options, anyone heard a few?)
May 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 21
i'd go with thunderpants as well.

i actually just comishioned smeggy to build me a balanced pair with the lcd2 headband and pads. should compliment my lcd2v2's well. 

May 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #18 of 21
I replied prior with the recommendation of Ed8s and now have a pair of TP1s from the group buy that Smeggy made to my specs (Ziricote, O2 pads).  

The sound is quite impressive, a class above, but also the weight is killing my neck.  I still think for the sound to weight ratio the Ed8s are extraordinary and in the end might sell the TP1s if I can't get used to the mass (I tend to listen for 4+ hours at a time while I program).

May 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
I replied prior with the recommendation of Ed8s and now have a pair of TP1s from the group buy that Smeggy made to my specs (Ziricote, O2 pads).  

The sound is quite impressive, a class above, but also the weight is killing my neck.  I still think for the sound to weight ratio the Ed8s are extraordinary and in the end might sell the TP1s if I can't get used to the mass (I tend to listen for 4+ hours at a time while I program).

Muramasa VIII would not be for you then :wink:, at 800 g.

I've been eyeing the Maple with Sunburn finish Thunderpants for sale on Smeggy's website, for some times now. Why TP1, is there a TP2?

May 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Muramasa VIII would not be for you then :wink:, at 800 g.

I've been eyeing the Maple with Sunburn finish Thunderpants for sale on Smeggy's website, for some times now. Why TP1, is there a TP2?

Dunno, but that's what people call them.

I believe the weight depending on the wood has been claimed to be about 16-20 oz, so in the 450-550 gram area.  The Ed8s are 260.  

I guess everyone is different but after an hour or so I feel like I need to take a bit of a break.  Perhaps my neck just needs to get used to them.  The 02 pads do help some (originally they were equipped with LCD-2 pads, not quite as plush).

May 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
So I've been searching for a closed can to be my second go to for a long time. There weren't that many options up until fairly recently but now with so many hitting at once I'm not sure where to look anymore so I'm looking for impressions and comparisons on the various choices.

Ultrasone Signature Pro
ATH W3000ANV
Fostex TH900
Beyer T5p

etc.

I'm open to more options of course, but these are the ones I've been looking at the closest lately.

I'd like them to scale fairly well with better gear but still be somewhat easy to power as they might get used outside the house on rare occasions. 

The AT-W3000ANVs are my favourite closed headphones to date. I've owned several (DT770/600, SRH840, D7000 twice, Ed.8LE to name a few). I hope to hear the TH900s soon though. But apparently they leak/isolate as poorly as the Denons (which were made my Fostex), so that's a big strike one against them for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back