High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Nov 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #695 of 903
  Thanks much for the feedback guys.  I really would love to hear the Ref 1 in person but its not particularly easy.  Maybe I'll throw up a WTB here.  

Couple questions: 

Is the sibilance that AmberOzL mentioned less noticeable in the Ref 1?
Can you describe what the highs are like on the 846?  I've seen them described as artificial or peaky- similar to Ultrasone? 

Here'a a quick write up on SE846. I personally really liked it.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #698 of 903
It looks like you tried the ref1 and went back to the 1plus2, can you speak to why?

I didn't go back to the 1Plus2, I never sold the 1Plus2. I bought the Ref1 with the expectation that I would keep whichever I liked more.

At the end of the day though there were a few factors that came into my decision to sell the Ref1. I have bouts of TMJ that, at times, make using IEM's more difficult. During my wait for the Ref1 I had one such bout which made me second guess having so much money invested in IEM's alone. If the Ref1 had been exactly what I was looking for in an IEM I may have kept it but alas, I'm not sure I could say I liked one over the other, they just offer a different perspective. Most of the decision came down to cost, by selling the Ref1 and keeping the 1Plus2 I was able to purchase the MDR-Z7 as full-sized complement. But even if I would have been able to sell them for the same price I suspect I would have still kept the 1Plus2.  It can be a bit on the cool, analytical side but it offers a more balanced overall presentation.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #699 of 903
From my point of view NT6 is the best you can do apart from maybe Legend or H8P that I have not heard. So anything more might disapoint. Or maybe SE5, just as much detail and trebble extension, quite flat but a little warmer than NT6.

I am not sure H8P can be a flat studio monitor, I am having hard time seeing it like this. Yes the technical capabilities of the ciem is awesome but it is quite colored especially on midrange and treble (to my ears with not so perfect fit). I agree with Mim on NT6. If you want studio monitor, a reference sound, NT6 would my first choice. If you don't mind a little warmer and more organic presentation while keeping the balanced signature SE5way can be also good but for studio monitoring, I would still put NT6 over SE5way.

Well @John Culter has already listened to Harmony 8 Pro at my lab so... I'm also pretty sure SE5 is also not what he is looking for.

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #701 of 903
Maybe @John Culter
can try the new EarWerkz EP8R Legend (or whatever it's called). Never heard it myself, but both A_J and SGS seem to think highly of it.

Yup that too! An 8 driver that sounds good at that price? (As we in Singapore say, MAI TU LIAO [ don't think about it further ] )

Oh yea it's called Legend R now. AppApparently it's an improved version of the Legend

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #702 of 903
  Yup that too! An 8 driver that sounds good at that price? (As we in Singapore say, MAI TU LIAO [ don't think about it further ] )

Oh yea it's called Legend R now. AppApparently it's an improved version of the Legend

I understand Hokkien, so I know what that means...
beerchug.gif

It appears Earwerkz' owner Jack is a fan of import cars --- Supra, Legend (Type-)R... watch as the next models are called the Silvia, Skyline, and 86...

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #703 of 903
If he pulls out a Skyline R34 with a bassheavy/audiophile high end mixture sound signature I am sold, I would buy the **** out of it. I am just in love with Skyline R34. It is almost impossible to find it outside of Japan though.

I understand Hokkien, so I know what that means...
beerchug.gif

It appears Earwerkz' owner Jack is a fan of import cars --- Supra, Legend (Type-)R... watch as the next models are called the Silvia, Skyline, and 86...

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #705 of 903

i know some will accuse me of trolling....but this is a beautiful pair!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back