HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 2, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #12,751 of 25,607
To all the fans of EQ out there, does the newly released beast of Schiit Loki Max check all the boxes for EQ done manually (by ear) and done right?

loki%20max%20front%201920.jpg

loki%20max%20back%201920.jpg

loki%20max%20detail%201%201920.jpg

I have been wondering whether this might be worth considering as a one-stop EQ solution for my main speaker rig, which is also integrated with one of my main headphone rigs, so that I might use the Loki Max to control both. At present, the only EQ I am using is the Roon parametric system, which seems more than okay for my own rather limited use cases. i have not ruled out the possibility that a more savvy system such as a Loki Max (that is, if it is indeed "more savvy") might unlock some valuable EQ "secrets" yet unknown to a largely uninitiated enthusiast, such as myself, which is why I am asking.
I'm intriqued, but I wonder if there is a sound quality loss by putting it in your chain? Like does passing through the Loki Max affect the sound quality (aside from the EQ of course) :thinking:

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #12,752 of 25,607
It depends on whether any small hit, if any, to SQ is more than compensated for by your being able to make the sound to your liking by adjusting the frequency response at various points.

The addition of Lokius 20Hz contouring when I listen to any of my amps with the SR1a allows me to enjoy a more satisfying presentation.
But every individual has to make that decision for themselves. Over 5 decades I've gone thru several flip flops of purist listener to frequency response twiddler as suits my personal preferences at those times and to compensate for short comings in the recorded SQ or something else in the chain, usually the transducer.
It's supposed to be about enjoyment, how you get there is up to you. Loki Max with its remote capabilities could really be a nice tweak with 2 channel speakers and the ability to dial in the sound from one's listening chair and attempt to compensate for room interaction effects. And, of course there is always the "Bypass" switch.

Many listeners contend that they want perfectly flat frequency response but when confronted with it generally don't like it at all. Too many variations in recorded quality and transducer reproduction can make for a challenging listening experience. Some recordings get by fine in purist mode, some recordings need all the help they can get.

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #12,754 of 25,607
It's the only way to insure your not misinterpreting what your hearing. When comparing amps a relatively cheap sound level meter will do the job just fine (say $75.00 and under).

Once you've positioned the SLM and the phones and make a measurement the actual number in db's is not that important, all that's important is that you do not move the HP relative to the SLM, only move the amp end connector and that both amps measurements are the same. I usually set one of the amps volume at a level I would normally listen to that music at and then measure and match it to the other amp. It's perhaps not surprising that recorded volume levels can vary significantly from one recording to the next and may entail a reset when changing to a different recording. I've even run into this issue on "compilations" from different recordings.

Once the levels are matched (I usually can get to amps to precisely identical db readings or within one tenth of a db) it's interesting to note how many big differences become much smaller.
Fully agree with this.

I did exactly what you described when doing a recent amp comparison (Bakoon R13 vs CFA3). Getting two amplifiers level-matched to under 0.1dB is satisfying, and worth the bother. One less variable to worry about!

I used a 440-A test tone, though there are of course pluses and minuses to any choice regarding this. I tried using a pink noise track in the past, but the resulting SPL was too unstable...

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #12,755 of 25,607
I use the Schiit Loki+ (and I have a Lokius--haven't switched it in yet): I like it very much, listening with my HE1000SE (and others). I find it is worth it. I don't find there to be any significant degradation in sound quality. None whatsoever really. It's only an improvement for me and my listening.
Perhaps the Lokius or Max would be an easy way for me to check out a EQ for Sus and LCD-5 without getting Roon or some other EQ. I don't need another remote but storing settings and adjusting from my listening position for 3 hp might be helpful.

It wonder if anyone has a Max that has used the Lokius?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #12,756 of 25,607
Something to try out. I know I connected my BelCanto S300 that’s 150 watts per channel with great results. Just watch that volume knob.
Hah! No, I was being facetious. I would never do anything like that. And my Audis Nirvana tube headphone amp drives my Susvaras just fine; that's what it was designed to do....

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #12,757 of 25,607
I'm intriqued, but I wonder if there is a sound quality loss by putting it in your chain? Like does passing through the Loki Max affect the sound quality (aside from the EQ of course) :thinking:
The 3 s/w PEQs I've tried all downgraded SQ to an unacceptable level for me (as previously posted on the HEK threads). This includes Roon's PEQ which is the app I'm currently using. The Loki Max has a good chance of doing better on the SQ front, but it has 2 big negatives for me:

1, Too big a gap between the 2kHz and 6kHz bands - this is where many headphones have very audible FR issues. I feel there really should have been at least a 4kHz band in between.
2. As a downsizer, I don't like the idea of adding in an extra box, plus interconnects, plus power cord.

Apart from that, the Loki Max looks very interesting.

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #12,758 of 25,607
Apologies for interrupting the Schiit talk… I’ve just got my Susvaras (after my LCD5 so the wrong way around lol)

Posted my thoughts on the LCD5 thread. Long and short of it.. both headphones are incredible but the Susvara just sound “more right” (is that even a phrase?). The refinement is off the charts. Zero EQ required. And the bass is not that bad!

My take - if you are EQ’ing the Susvara then you really need another headphone…

And I’m one of those sad people that remembers lusting after the Cello Pallete, Apogee Scintilla’s, Infinity IRSV and the Goldmumd Reference turntable. Still can’t afford them 30+ years later..

The new Schiit looks great - just not for the Susvara….(IMHO)

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #12,759 of 25,607
I really don't see how this is special to the Susvara.
Wouldn't that be equally true for every other headphone?
If you want to EQ it, why not get one that is more pleasing in its stock sound signature in the first place?

Unless you meant the Susvara takes EQ exceptionally bad, which I doubt.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #12,760 of 25,607

And I’m one of those sad people that remembers lusting after the Cello Pallete, Apogee Scintilla’s, Infinity IRSV and the Goldmumd Reference turntable. Still can’t afford them 30+ years later..

The new Schiit looks great - just not for the Susvara….(IMHO)
I think EQ can benefit any headphones including the Susvara. Not because the Sus needs it, but because not all recordings are equal and some recordings can improve with EQ. That said, I don’t EQ Susvara at all.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #12,761 of 25,607
To all the fans of EQ out there, does the newly released beast of Schiit Loki Max check all the boxes for EQ done manually (by ear) and done right?

I have been wondering whether this might be worth considering as a one-stop EQ solution for my main speaker rig, which is also integrated with one of my main headphone rigs, so that I might use the Loki Max to control both. At present, the only EQ I am using is the Roon parametric system, which seems more than okay for my own rather limited use cases. i have not ruled out the possibility that a more savvy system such as a Loki Max (that is, if it is indeed "more savvy") might unlock some valuable EQ "secrets" yet unknown to a largely uninitiated enthusiast, such as myself, which is why I am asking.
If you have Roon Parametric EQ, why do you feel you need anything else? Do you not use Roon as a source for your speakers?

Loki Max is a very expensive 6 band graphic equalizer with presets. Fixed center frequencies and Q factors. This product is good only for small tweaks in sound, not for sophisticated equalization.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #12,762 of 25,607
If you have Roon Parametric EQ, why do you feel you need anything else? Do you not use Roon as a source for your speakers?

Loki Max is a very expensive 6 band graphic equalizer with presets. Fixed center frequencies and Q factors. This product is good only for small tweaks in sound, not for sophisticated equalization.
did not know the "Fixed center frequencies and Q factors" part... does it do anything else?

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #12,763 of 25,607
did not know the "Fixed center frequencies and Q factors" part... does it do anything else?
I am sure that the Loki Max is well designed and preserves great sound quality. For me, I wouldn't mind adding a Loki or Lokius to my desktop system for when I want to tweak sound a bit. For instance, adding deeper bass for certain tracks or genre. But, for any serious EQ I am using Equalizer APO. If Schiit built Equalizer APO in a box and offered 12 filters and the other features of the Loki Max, I would buy it at any price.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #12,764 of 25,607

Ordered mine. I anticipate an refinement convenience. I am also not one to compulsively cover flaws through parametric implementation, start at the source.

But it's an expensive option, I welcome the fiddling for a day.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #12,765 of 25,607
FWIW, I briefly played with (Roon) EQ on my Susvara and quickly abandoned it. Adding a bass shelf, in particular, muddied the sound noticeably. My understanding is that Audeze cans are more accepting of EQ for whatever reason.

So yeah, for my money the Susvara still has the best voicing overall of any headphone I've yet heard. I love my new Shangri-la Junior and feel its voicing is similar to Susvara's, but the bass rolls off earlier, which makes it less of a generalist than Susvara. The midrange resolution and soundstaging of the Shangri-la Jr is something truly special though. Will try to do a more thorough review as time permits for anyone interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back