HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 20, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #11,866 of 25,551

I like how currawong gives no big answers in this comparison, and is very specific about the setups he used for each.

Paraphrasing: "So you already have a bangin system and have the Susvara? Do you 'need' the LCD-5? Ehh, probably not. But if you want just a little extra variety and have a few thousand dollars to spare? Well then, sure, why not?" :upside_down:

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #11,867 of 25,551
Oct 22, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #11,869 of 25,551
AHB2 is in the chain and a few songs in and I am pretty much in awe of these headphones, amp, preamp, dac combo at this point. A few songs does not make a verdict but I don't anticipate this changing for the worse with any amount of burn in. Crazy how quiet this amp is with these headphones, the Ferrum Oor is amazing as a Preamp with the Hyposis so far too.

DDBE0473-08E4-41E0-A4B7-B986118460D0.jpeg
Any more impressions on Susvara running out of AHB2 compared to Oor or have you only tried Oor as preamp?
As you re wishing to add a tube preamp I suppose you wish for more warmth, smoothness?
Asking cause I am still undecided if I sacrifice a higher performance for smaller footprint.
At least AHB2 won't need an external PSU (which also enlarges the OOR footprint) but might profit from a better power cable nevertheless

Oct 22, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #11,870 of 25,551
Regarding that LCD-5 vs Sus review I found it interesting describing the Susvara signature oval shaped with left-right focus.
As I experience the opposite with the Ferrum stack with more depth than width, I believe that the stage size and shape is highly amp dependant and I can image that especially speaker amps are optimized for loudspeakers, music mixes might be too sometimes...
Therefore I find customizable Crossfeed such as in the new Burson Grand Tourer or the SPL Phonitors quite interesting to come to a more natural presentation.
Just for fun I checked the praised GD Audio Master 10 and that's really a heavy behemoth, definitely not desk friendly 😉 plus it's discontinued officially at least in European stores.
Still interesting if it should really belong to one of the best amps for Susvara for people without space issues considering that you might find it used for way below most of the TOTL amps praised in this thread

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #11,871 of 25,551
Any more impressions on Susvara running out of AHB2 compared to Oor or have you only tried Oor as preamp?
As you re wishing to add a tube preamp I suppose you wish for more warmth, smoothness?
Asking cause I am still undecided if I sacrifice a higher performance for smaller footprint.
At least AHB2 won't need an external PSU (which also enlarges the OOR footprint) but might profit from a better power cable nevertheless
Oor is very good as an Amp for the Susvara, very. I can confirm this by use of the AHB2 in the chain now. The AHB2 seems to add a bit more of a quieter floor and possibly better dynamics to my ears but it is incredibly close. As a preamp the Oor is phenomenal, BUT I have to add that I have tried the Oor in Amp and Preamp mode with and without the Hyposis and there is a very very clear difference to my ears. The Hyposis makes the quiet noticeably more quiet and sounds are spaced out a bit more due to that quiet. I will keep the AHB2 in my stable, I ordered an attenuator so that I can use it with all of my headphones for a bit and will add a Tube Pre but the reason for a tube pre is to be able to tube roll and get some of that sweet spacious sound great tubes offer. I am a tinkerer or as a Psych would say I just have delusional audio gear dysforia :)

Still looking for a Balanced Tube Pre. I have looked into a few suggested but they were not balanced, I am inclined to buy a Freya+ and give it a go.....

On another :musical_score:I am currently listening to an Acoustic (guitar laden) playlist back and forth on the Oor (Utopia) and AHB2 (Susvara) and I have to say for this music both of these headphones are FN PHENOMENAL........and VERY VERY CLOSE in performance, I could assuage my AGD for a few days at least with either of these two HP's.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #11,872 of 25,551
Finally got around to upgrading my susvara cable and decided to go with an all silver cable. I'm completely blown away by how the cable turned out by @skedra vikingweavecables. Thanks dude 🙏

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #11,874 of 25,551
Finally got around to upgrading my susvara cable and decided to go with an all silver cable. I'm completely blown away by how the cable turned out by @skedra vikingweavecables. Thanks dude 🙏

Can you link their Website for educational purposes?
Interested to see their lineup

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #11,877 of 25,551
Pure silver is not good for Susvara. I used a mix of silver with gold and palladium mix which was far better then the stock cable. But Forza Noir Hybrid beats it! Pure silver is too lean too bright with Susvara.
well made silver cables can be terrific with the susvara

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #11,878 of 25,551

Beautiful cable man! Congrats!
I asked about a cable from them a while back and they're quite pricey! If I'm not wrong, they don't have a website? Or at least they didn't have one up and running yet when I last checked.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #11,879 of 25,551
A pity that there's no active user with Susvaras and ICAN Pro (Signature) in this thread and can report.
Am specifically interested in the XBass feature which would be very interesting for Susvara Imho.
@iFi audio if you know any Susvara ICAN reviews I'd be thankful to get some links...
I have OG ican , in terms of what they changed being in the power supplies i’d say that they ican doesn’t quite do it puts up a good fight but it’s an on virus change when switching to something with a larger current supply aka speaker amps , can be a little soft sometimes especially during transients , as for a pre then in to a speaker amp it’s really really good espeiclLg as you can engage tubes if you upgraded them it can be super sweet

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #11,880 of 25,551
I am not happy with the sound of my Susvara when driven by my Niimbus US4 headphone amplifier that is connected to the headphone with a Norne Silvergarde cable and the sound is too thin and bright.

I am thinking of purchasing a different headphone amplifier.

I found a thread on the Audio GD M9 amplifier, which is powerful enough to drive the HiFiMan HE6e headphone. However, there was no mention in that thread of any user using it with a Susvara headphone.

There are 3 versions of the Audio GD amplifier (M9, M19 and HE9) - does anybody have experience with those amplifiers driving the Susvara? I am also interested in any sound differences between the 3 versions.

Jeff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back