HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 24, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #11,896 of 25,604
I am looking for thoughts and opinons of how well the susvara pairs with tube amps. Nearly everyone i know that has a susvara says it pairs the best with a solid state amp. what does everyone think?
Need to exploit further context. Solid state or tube can sound good, either way.

If you might find the Susvara a little lacking in leading attack, or a little more soft in bass, solid state can help in mitigation.
If you find those qualities fine, and want to exploit a little larger staging, better layering and three dimensional presentation, tube can help in mitigation.

No cure-alls.

Oct 24, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #11,897 of 25,604
I own both the susvara and the ifi and I wouldnt even imagine using the 2 together but hey I guess thats why we all hear differently...lets just say with all tthe discussion about speaker amps and susvara I would say admirably is a bit of a stretch but yes they can drive them

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #11,898 of 25,604
I am looking for thoughts and opinons of how well the susvara pairs with tube amps. Nearly everyone i know that has a susvara says it pairs the best with a solid state amp. what does everyone think?
I prefer tube amps to SS for headphones, and there are a number of tube amps that were made to supply enough power for the Susvara; one such is the Auris Nirvana, and I'm expecting delivery on that this week.... My Eddie Current Studio B is perfect for my Utopias and can get the Susvaras plenty loud enough, but the sound is too thin; Nirvana has way more power than that.

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #11,899 of 25,604
Oct 25, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #11,900 of 25,604
The WA33 is pretty solid state sounding for a tube amp.
Second this. I lost the urge to try other amps once I had the WA33. Previous amps I've tried with the Susvara are Topping A90 and Cayin HA6A. Don't neglect the DAC component either, that should be at least on par budget wise with whatever amp you decides on.

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #11,901 of 25,604
My findings on Susvara:
2. Portable DAC / AMP like iFi iDSD Micro BL can admirably drive these
The only portable amp that may drive these admirably would be the Cayin C9. But I didn’t even waste my time hooking them up to my Susvaras. I feel that would be a grave injustice to that headphone. But I do use the C9 for my Diana V2s, with outstanding results.

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #11,902 of 25,604
I have McIntosh MHA200 and it sounds fine. However, I listen at 35 to 45 dBL for most of my listening. IMO, If you need to listen 65 or more dBL, I say look else where.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #11,903 of 25,604
The only portable amp that may drive these admirably would be the Cayin C9. But I didn’t even waste my time hooking them up to my Susvaras. I feel that would be a grave injustice to that headphone. But I do use the C9 for my Diana V2s, with outstanding results.
Where I'm coming from is if someone has money to buy Susvara, and they hesitate buying one because they do not have a powerful (and expensive) amp, I am encouraging the people to get Susvara because they can still enjoy it (experience may vary however). These Cans are awesome.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #11,904 of 25,604
I have McIntosh MHA200 and it sounds fine. However, I listen at 35 to 45 dBL for most of my listening. IMO, If you need to listen 65 or more dBL, I say look else where.
35-45 dB is the daytime ambient noise level in my NYC apartment :upside_down:

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #11,905 of 25,604
Where I'm coming from is if someone has money to buy Susvara, and they hesitate buying one because they do not have a powerful (and expensive) amp, I am encouraging the people to get Susvara because they can still enjoy it (experience may vary however). These Cans are awesome.
I had an HE1000se and I think they sound better than an under-driven Susvara. I would recommend someone to get an HE1000se instead of a Susvara with sub par amplification. This way they will get a better sonic experience for less cash and less amp requirement

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #11,909 of 25,604
Is anyone else of the belief that you need to listen to the susvara +70db for it to sound right/enjoyable?

At lower volumes, 55-60db which is where I listen it tends to loose the dynamics (even with a eq'd bass shelf) and to me is a bit boring.

Amplifier is a ps audio s300.

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #11,910 of 25,604
Is anyone else of the belief that you need to listen to the susvara +70db for it to sound right/enjoyable?

At lower volumes, 55-60db which is where I listen it tends to loose the dynamics (even with a eq'd bass shelf) and to me is a bit boring.

Amplifier is a ps audio s300.
What kind of DAC are you using? That can make a very large difference.... What I wasn't enjoying all that much out of the DAVE/M Scaler combination, though I did enjoy it - it's great gear! - I enjoyed a whole lot more with a Holo May Kitsune....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back