HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 20, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #11,851 of 25,510
Got it thanks. To connect a DAC to the Bakoon, do I just get a pair of regular RCA cables? The whole multiple RCA input/voltages is confusing me.

Regular RCAs will do just fine. The naming 'voltage' on AMP-13R suggests that these are its normal inputs. Its BNC sockets (named Satrilink IIRC) are for current signal and to use these you'd have to have a DAC capable of outputting it and from what I can tell Bakoon doesn't have that ready yet.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 20, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #11,852 of 25,510
Thanks so much!

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #11,853 of 25,510
All 4 earpad types from Dekoni arrived today. I must agree, they're not so easy to put on.

Tried the fenestrated leather first. Feels really great to the touch, but I've lost sub-bass. I believe it wasn't a seal problem, nor the bad installation of the pad. Might look into it one more time, but man, I changed them right away.

Now rocking the hybrid ones. They do feel much premium and pleasant than the stock ones, now the Susvara feels even more premium. As for the sound, it's to early to judge, but I'm definitely not hearing a huge difference vs stock.
I am very interested in anyone comparing the 4 Dekoni earpads from a sound perspective. I do not mind losing sub-bass, but I would especially like to know whether there are differences in their treble-response. I would like to find a Susvara earpad that can decrease the treble-energy without any significant deleterious side-effects.

Jeff.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #11,854 of 25,510
I am very interested in anyone comparing the 4 Dekoni earpads from a sound perspective. I do not mind losing sub-bass, but I would especially like to know whether there are differences in their treble-response. I would like to find a Susvara earpad that can decrease the treble-energy without any significant deleterious side-effects.

Jeff.
Ill be doing a comparison between all, dunno when Ill post it though. Will surely ping you guys here.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #11,855 of 25,510
I see thanks for the info. Given the stellar reviews the Bakoon has gotten I'm guessing the fact that it's single ended doesn't affect it's sound quality right? I thought balanced was always better but maybe I'm wrong.
That 'always' word can always :relaxed: trip you up! There are wonderful amp makers out there who use SE topology exclusively, and their amps will likely be far superior to an inexpensive Topping or something else that looks like that that are balanced. It's all about the design and build, not necessarily whether it's SE or balanced.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #11,856 of 25,510
All 4 earpad types from Dekoni arrived today. I must agree, they're not so easy to put on.

Tried the fenestrated leather first. Feels really great to the touch, but I've lost sub-bass. I believe it wasn't a seal problem, nor the bad installation of the pad. Might look into it one more time, but man, I changed them right away.

Now rocking the hybrid ones. They do feel much premium and pleasant than the stock ones, now the Susvara feels even more premium. As for the sound, it's to early to judge, but I'm definitely not hearing a huge difference vs stock.
According to the Graphs on Dekoni's site I don't think there should be any audible differences from stock unless one has "seriously" attuned hearing. I have the fenestrated Dekoni on my Susvara and I can't hear a difference but I lose hearing above 14Khz.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #11,857 of 25,510
Question for owners of the Bakoon amp: what cables are needed for connecting the Susvara and DAC? I only use XLRs and this amp doesn't have XLR in/outs. So the front panel has a 6.3 HP jack [...]

For what it's worth, when needing to convert a headphone cable's XLR end to single-ended in order to connect to the Bakoon, I use this adapter from AffinityAdapters. I'm quite satisfied with it.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #11,858 of 25,510
For what it's worth, when needing to convert a headphone cable's XLR end to single-ended in order to connect to the Bakoon, I use this adapter from AffinityAdapters. I'm quite satisfied with it.
Thanks! For some reason I thought plugging in SE into balanced and vice versa was a big no no. I guess this adapter solves this issue?

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #11,859 of 25,510
Thanks! For some reason I thought plugging in SE into balanced and vice versa was a big no no. I guess this adapter solves this issue?
It does, yes.

The general rule is that you can convert an XLR headphone cable to single-ended, but not vice-versa...

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #11,860 of 25,510
It does, yes.

The general rule is that you can convert an XLR headphone cable to single-ended, but not vice-versa...
Ah I see. Shows you how much I know about single ended :wink: What about connecting to a DAC? Which cables do you use for that?

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #11,861 of 25,510
What about connecting to a DAC? Which cables do you use for that?
Just regular RCA cables from the DAC to the Bakoon.

Note that it's also (sometimes) possible to go from XLR on the DAC end and RCA on the amp end, but it may depend on the specific amp as to whether that's advisable or not. It's probably not worth investigating that possibility unless you're super-interested in using the DAC's XLR outputs...

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #11,862 of 25,510
That appears to convert a 4-pin headphone cable to 1/4" termination. As such, it won't work for adapting a standard XLR interconnect to RCA, which is what I thought was being asked. Also FWIW, $99 seems awfully expensive when you can get something similar of good quality for around $30.

EDIT: For a reasonably-priced, no-nonsense interconnect that runs from XLR to RCA terminations, Benchmark makes them in 3' and 6' lengths:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...dapter-cable-pin-3-floating?variant=547761981

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #11,864 of 25,510
Nope, that's a single-ended output. So you connect your Susvara to that Bakoon using a regular headphone cable terminated with a 6.3mm headphone plug.

AMP-13R is a single-ended device that naturally doesn't feature XLRs. You connect your DAC to it with regular RCA cables. Someone with AMP-13R please correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't matter which its RCA inputs are used, so you can connect your DAC to either.
you are correct, single ended and quite wonderful with the susvara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back