HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 5, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #841 of 25,604
the mids seemed to emphasize a lower register for me than say mid punchy hd800S as an example. This can give the susvara a syrupy or warm preference. However id give that time as one could develop a preference that way...

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #844 of 25,604
But it is still much better than 1K level E-stat amps.
It don't think it matters, I have never heard 009/007 driven by a kg amp, but from the impressions, it's not hard to tell that both headphones weren't being driven to their full potential.I think ubs28's opinion is valid, he just liked 009 better even on an overpriced or "meh" amplifier.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #845 of 25,604
It don't think it matters, I have never heard 009/007 driven by a kg amp, but from the impressions, it's not hard to tell that both headphones weren't being driven to their full potential.I think ubs28's opinion is valid, he just liked 009 better even on an overpriced or "meh" amplifier.

T8000 needs a great preamplifier to do its justice.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #846 of 25,604
Comparing both headphones with their manufacturer's flagship companion amps is a pretty fair comparison I would say. Even though both can be powered better, it's probably enough information to make a decision on which setup someone personally prefers. Sure both of them might scale with alternate amplification, but I doubt the listener's subjective opinion will change. It's not impossible, but unlikely given that you are generally either a planar guy or a e-stat guy.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #847 of 25,604
My Susvara has come and is playing since yesterday, I feel it is slightly tied, but after the first 24 hours is already melting.
With Viva Egoista I have no driver problem and the sound is of great transparency and precision, true live-effetti.
The cable seems fantastic to me how it is made, it's just as it should be a headphone cable, lightweight and soft.

img_0412.jpg

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #848 of 25,604
My Susvara has come and is playing since yesterday, I feel it is slightly tied, but after the first 24 hours is already melting.
With Viva Egoista I have no driver problem and the sound is of great transparency and precision, true live-effetti.
The cable seems fantastic to me how it is made, it's just as it should be a headphone cable, lightweight and soft.

img_0412.jpg
Great, which headphone do you like better SR 009 or Susvara?

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #853 of 25,604
After having lived with the Susvara for a couple of months, I've finally posted up my Susvara Review here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-susvara-review-the-he6-is-dead-long-live-the-susvara.866406/

I don't agree with some of your conclusions.

For example, you wrote-: "The HE1000 (as well as the newer V2) is most renowned for its unmatched soundstage size. It's also renowned for its enormous ear cups, also part of why it's soundstage is so large. So naturally, the HE1000 has a wider soundstage than Susvara, but not as centered and deep towards front."

I cannot understand why you would believe that larger earcups will produce a wider soundstage (as measured from side-to-side).

I also disagree with your depiction of the soundstage in your diagram - where the soundstage is placed across the head. I own both the HE1000v2 and the Susvara headphones and the soundstage is situated in an imaginary space well in front of my head with both headphones, and I have noted no difference in the width-and-depth of the soundstage between the two headphones (using my Violectric V281 headphone amplifier).

Jeff.

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #854 of 25,604
I've never noted the HE1000 (V1 or V2) to have a wide soundstage. It has quite a treble peak so it gives a fair sense of "air" to acoustic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back