HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 31, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #811 of 25,671
The 10 dB dip at 2 KHz…. must be noticeable.

Did you actually read the article...

"While the mids are quite neutral it does (very slightly) lack some ultimate ‘clarity/presence’. The dip around 2kHz is responsible for this. That dip is smaller in reality than it measures because the so-called Concha-gain will make this measured dip smaller than it looks. It is still there though, just not audibly as deep as the plots suggest.
A dip in this part of the frequency range is more desirable than a peak."

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #813 of 25,671
Did you actually read the article...

"While the mids are quite neutral it does (very slightly) lack some ultimate ‘clarity/presence’. The dip around 2kHz is responsible for this. That dip is smaller in reality than it measures because the so-called Concha-gain will make this measured dip smaller than it looks. It is still there though, just not audibly as deep as the plots suggest.
A dip in this part of the frequency range is more desirable than a peak."

I sure did. A 10 dB dip at 2 KHz is a 10 dB dip.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #814 of 25,671
I'm waiting for my Susvara, and I'm undecided about what amplification I could go. Has anyone tested how a Moon 430 or a Audio Valve rkv3 could work? And since Anakchan had tried a Mcintosh mc275 and would have found one at a good price, as you can evaluate the difference between the Mcintosh and the other 2 amplifiers mentioned?

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #815 of 25,671
i cant imagine the 430 wouldnt be able to drive them satisfactorily

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #817 of 25,671

Another forum, which I will not name here, also shows 2khz being almost 10 db down from 1khz, on a frequency response measurement graph, but it didn't really seem to bother the reviewer.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #818 of 25,671

Please let us all know once you have thoroughly listened to the Susvara whether the dip is as noticeable as you say. Until then you really don't have much of a point to prove in this thread.

To me, and other people, the dip does not cause the lower mids to be sucked out or sound wonky, but apparently we listen with our eyes and measurements :wink:

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #819 of 25,671
I'm waiting for my Susvara, and I'm undecided about what amplification I could go. Has anyone tested how a Moon 430 or a Audio Valve rkv3 could work? And since Anakchan had tried a Mcintosh mc275 and would have found one at a good price, as you can evaluate the difference between the Mcintosh and the other 2 amplifiers mentioned?

Your RKv3 might work fine, I'm not sure how much power it outputs from the headphone sockets on the front, but as the Susvara is lower impedance you will want it on IMP mode.

You could use them from the speaker terminal of that amp, with the impedance knob set to 64 Ohm's, and that should drive them fine :)

Let us know what you think, I miss my pair that had to be shipped to another reviewer.

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #820 of 25,671
Your RKv3 might work fine, I'm not sure how much power it outputs from the headphone sockets on the front, but as the Susvara is lower impedance you will want it on IMP mode.

You could use them from the speaker terminal of that amp, with the impedance knob set to 64 Ohm's, and that should drive them fine :)

Let us know what you think, I miss my pair that had to be shipped to another reviewer.

I actually use a Viva Egoista and Susvara comes briefly by Pierre Paya who has already anticipated that the amplifier would be squeezed until the last drop. I'm home to a Burmester 991 and was very good at the speaker output with the Hifiman he1000, I think I can go with Susvara.

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #821 of 25,671
I actually use a Viva Egoista and Susvara comes briefly by Pierre Paya who has already anticipated that the amplifier would be squeezed until the last drop. I'm home to a Burmester 991 and was very good at the speaker output with the Hifiman he1000, I think I can go with Susvara.

The Burmeser 991 is more than powerful enough for the Susvara :D

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #822 of 25,671
The Burmeser 991 is more than powerful enough for the Susvara :D

Oscar,
the burmester has about 10 watts on the impedance of Susvara, Viva has 5 watts at 40 ohms, of course it's a clear difference, but when I play the he1000 direct on the Burmester speaker output, it was pretty much flying!
It's not a matter of volume, I do not listen very high volume, but it's a matter of energy and How amp play headphone driver.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #823 of 25,671
Oscar,
the burmester has about 10 watts on the impedance of Susvara, Viva has 5 watts at 40 ohms, of course it's a clear difference, but when I play the he1000 direct on the Burmester speaker output, it was pretty much flying!
It's not a matter of volume, I do not listen very high volume, but it's a matter of energy and How amp play headphone driver.

You will have to let us know which pairs best, I know it's not all about the power/volume :D

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #824 of 25,671
Please let us all know once you have thoroughly listened to the Susvara whether the dip is as noticeable as you say. Until then you really don't have much of a point to prove in this thread.

To me, and other people, the dip does not cause the lower mids to be sucked out or sound wonky, but apparently we listen with our eyes and measurements :wink:

Doesn't hurt to be a little bit objective. Though I do believe it does set up an expectation bias to make the listener more likely to say "oh yeah I can hear a dip at 2khz..." when it may have gone unnoticed otherwise.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #825 of 25,671
Doesn't hurt to be a little bit objective. Though I do believe it does set up an expectation bias to make the listener more likely to say "oh yeah I can hear a dip at 2khz..." when it may have gone unnoticed otherwise.

I like to look at graphs sometimes, as it can be helpful to pinpoint something you are hearing. But it does create expectation bias if you have not heard them, as you will be listening out for the flaws you see in the graph rather than subjectively analysing and judging whether you personally like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back