HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 24, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #12,541 of 25,604
I got a few spare rings I could send within Germany, just gotta check if they look ok.
Maybe Europe too but in any case shipping is not on me.
I will pm you

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #12,542 of 25,604
I just put in an order for a Hifiman mounting ring - 1 order ($10) consists of 2 rings. Free shipping in the US.

$178 for shipping to Europe? I'd call Hifiman to check on that; sounds like some mistake...
Just to share the fun

Attachments

• EFDC1596-2E31-4B72-A92C-5CCF89BB794D.png
    EFDC1596-2E31-4B72-A92C-5CCF89BB794D.png
    461.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 24, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #12,544 of 25,604
Will probably be a personal delivery with a Christmas choir.
... and Santa will park the sled and reindeer outside and will hand it to him personally.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #12,545 of 25,604
Thanks for the detailed info, it’s difficult to not jump to the Susvara wagon with a post like this!
The Susvara is not a cheap headphone by any means (this we know). I was concerned spending this type of money on a headphone. That concern flew out the window from my first minute with the Susvara. It is worth every penny.

Fegefeuer wrote an excellent post earlier. The Susvara is simply on a different level to the HE1000 range. For me the Susvara's tuning is perfection. I want for nothing. EQ is not needed.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #12,546 of 25,604
To return to our favorite topic (on this thread), the Hegel H95 is quite a compelling proposition for the Susvaras (and the TC). All-in-one unit. Performance to price ratio is laughably high, given what high-end head-amps go for.
How do you compare Susvara to 009?

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #12,548 of 25,604
How do the ZMF Eikon hybrid pads slip on the HiFiMan mounting ring? What keeps them in place on the mounting ring?

Also, will it correct my sound problem with the Susvara headphone, which I find is too thin/bright sounding with any of my headphome amplifiers (eg. Niimbus US4, Audio-GD M19)?

Jeff.
@JeffMann Re-posting your question here so that the LCD-5 thread is not further derailed.

Once you slip the mounting rings inside the bottom part of the pads, and then attach the mounting rings to Susvara's cups, the pads would naturally hold in place by friction. In other words, the mounting rings would effectively "sandwich" the bottom part of the pads to the cups. Basically the same way it's been with oldschool Hifimans like HE-500 or HE-6.

Yes, it should tackle the issues you have with stock Susvara. The point of ZMF Eikon hybrids is to keep magic of stock Susvara sound as much as possible while:
  • Improving low to mid bass heft and impact.
  • Improving on perceived balance in mids to treble region, by decreasing thinness in upper mids and excessive "stadium-like" airiness in highs.
  • Improving on perceived timbre by eliminating unnatural diffusiveness of stock pads.
  • NOTE: As with everything, there are sonic trade-offs. If you increase something, you automatically decrease something else - and vice versa. If you are absolutely in love with stock Susvara sound, you could still find the trade-offs a bit too much to accept.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #12,549 of 25,604
@JeffMann Re-posting your question here so that the LCD-5 thread is not further derailed.

Once you slip the mounting rings inside the bottom part of the pads, and then attach the mounting rings to Susvara's cups, the pads would naturally hold in place by friction. In other words, the mounting rings would effectively "sandwich" the bottom part of the pads to the cups. Basically the same way it's been with oldschool Hifimans like HE-500 or HE-6.

Yes, it should tackle the issues you have with stock Susvara. The point of ZMF Eikon hybrids is to keep magic of stock Susvara sound as much as possible while:
  • Improving low to mid bass heft and impact.
  • Improving on perceived balance in mids to treble region, by decreasing thinness in upper mids and excessive "stadium-like" airiness in highs.
  • Improving on perceived timbre by eliminating unnatural diffusiveness of stock pads.
  • NOTE: As with everything, there are sonic trade-offs. If you increase something, you automatically decrease something else - and vice versa. If you are absolutely in love with stock Susvara sound, you could still find the trade-offs a bit too much to accept.
Thank you for replying.

From your photo, it would seem that the pad edges go under the clips. Does that make it harder to install the mounting rings because the gap under the mounting rings is now reduced by the thickness of the pad edge?

I personally plan to buy those earpads to see what effect it has on the sound quality.

By the way, I cannot locate online where there has been a comparison of different earpads for the Susvara other than this post - https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...-susvara-review-and-measurements.4462/page-11

Jeff.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #12,550 of 25,604
Thank you for replying.

From your photo, it would seem that the pad edges go under the clips. Does that make it harder to install the mounting rings because the gap under the mounting rings is now reduced by the thickness of the pad edge?

I personally plan to buy those earpads to see what effect it has on the sound quality.

By the way, I cannot locate online where there has been a comparison of different earpads for the Susvara other than this post - https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...-susvara-review-and-measurements.4462/page-11

Jeff.
https://www.head-fi.org/search/7167854/?q=earpad&t=post&c[thread]=853031&o=date

That is a search of this thread for "earpad". You might also try "pad", "pads", etc.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #12,553 of 25,604
hi,

arctic cable opera series (palladium plated) is a good choice for Susvara?

I'm using the (previous gen) palladium Arctic cable with utopia and have used it with the susvara. The palladium is very transparent and compared to the Aeris, is very slightly leaner/offers less meat on the mids and low end. I prefer to pair the susvara with the Aeris.

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #12,554 of 25,604
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back