HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 18, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #11,806 of 25,682
New member of the Susvara fam as of tonight!

Have it on my ears now running through our Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN and am pretty much at a loss of words.
Nice. Me, too. I just upgraded by HE1000SE.

Oct 18, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #11,807 of 25,682
Took some macro shots of my sus :)
DB90ECA7-517F-4154-A3FF-3FFBF05970DE.jpeg

AAD94EF6-0FB2-4225-B4D9-FCD36B7321F2.jpeg
Mine are so old all that lettering is worn away! They still sound magic, though, and will sound even more magic when my Auris Nirvana shows up tomorrow with a lot more high quality juice than anything I've currently (ahem) got...

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #11,808 of 25,682
Mine are so old all that lettering is worn away! They still sound magic, though, and will sound even more magic when my Auris Nirvana shows up tomorrow with a lot more high quality juice than anything I've currently (ahem) got...
I'd highly recommend also trying it with your MSB analog DAC and S-200 amp, you may be surprised at the sound quality.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #11,810 of 25,682
Nice macro shots! And build quality looks good close up.
At least they are metal. Though for the price tag, really should be rocking a better cable, higher quality pad material, headstrap that doesn't feel like velvet cardboard from a craft store and the black mesh not looking like a untensioned flyscreen. That's my nitpicks, otherwise I'm enjoying them :D

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #11,811 of 25,682
At least they are metal. Though for the price tag, really should be rocking a better cable, higher quality pad material, headstrap that doesn't feel like velvet cardboard from a craft store and the black mesh not looking like a untensioned flyscreen. That's my nitpicks, otherwise I'm enjoying them :D
I would like some thicker softer earpads and better looking cable. I don't mind the headstrap.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #11,812 of 25,682
I put the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin on. Much nicer, feels more premium.

I can't help but nitpick every items design choices, so take with grain of salt. They are the best built Hifiman.

Thankfully I can just make myself another cable when I could be ****ed.

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #11,813 of 25,682
I put the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin on. Much nicer, feels more premium.

I can't help but nitpick every items design choices, so take with grain of salt. They are the best built Hifiman.

Thankfully I can just make myself another cable when I could be ****ed.
I recently got those too, but I've not put them on yet - I hate replacing earpads like these - why can't everybody use magnets like the Empyreans? And that leather headstrap? I got a used pair and that's the first thing I had to replace - it was really funky and flopped back and forth. And I've never much liked the Hifiman metally look (at least they're not shaped like the HE-1000's), but they are pretty comfortable, and I'll put up with a lot of nitpicks for that SOUND!

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #11,814 of 25,682
I found the Dekoni pads not too easy to put on.

First obviously get the stock ones off, involves trying to compress the ring a bit and pop the first tab out.

The Dekoni blue ring is stiffer / thicker than the stock, so its not as easy. At least mine was, so it needed a bit of elbow grease. Can give each tab a bit of a nudge/bend inward to help loosen it to begin with.

I ended up;

1. Align pad seam to connector socket
2. Pop in first tab on the side, so press toward driver and slide it across
3. Repeat for the top tab, now keeping some pressure diagonally up to keep them in place
4. Other side tab next. This involved pressure on the side of the ring inward then press toward driver over the tab to pop it in
5. Last is the bottom tab, now hardest. Using a small flat screwdriver (the little craft/glasses ones) and a light, jamb it into the remaining tab and push up until it flexes enough and grabs the ledge, then push down on the pad over it to pop it in

Now they are never coming off.

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #11,815 of 25,682
I found the Dekoni pads not too easy to put on.

First obviously get the stock ones off, involves trying to compress the ring a bit and pop the first tab out.

The Dekoni blue ring is stiffer / thicker than the stock, so its not as easy. At least mine was, so it needed a bit of elbow grease. Can give each tab a bit of a nudge/bend inward to help loosen it to begin with.

I ended up;

1. Align pad seam to connector socket
2. Pop in first tab on the side, so press toward driver and slide it across
3. Repeat for the top tab, now keeping some pressure diagonally up to keep them in place
4. Other side tab next. This involved pressure on the side of the ring inward then press toward driver over the tab to pop it in
5. Last is the bottom tab, now hardest. Using a small flat screwdriver (the little craft/glasses ones) and a light, jamb it into the remaining tab and push up until it flexes enough and grabs the ledge, then push down on the pad over it to pop it in

Now they are never coming off.
Thanks for that tip!!! I'm going to have to recruit an assistant as my 70-year old fingers (and 70-year old brain) are just not up to this! :gs1000smile:

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #11,816 of 25,682
@MatW thankfully shared that video with me - check position 7:00 for the credit card trick

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #11,817 of 25,682
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #11,818 of 25,682
Congrats for the incoming Nirvana.
Have you considered Wells Audio Dragon before for Susvaras?
Heard magical things about that combo

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #11,819 of 25,682
@MatW thankfully shared that video with me - check position 7:00 for the credit card trick

The fresh Dekoni ones with the blue ring, first time in, took a whooole lot more push that that. Might work with credit card, and may have just been my set of pads, but it needed a fair bit of convincing.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #11,820 of 25,682
Slipping a thin credit card between the ear pad and headphone to squeeze the ring in and release the clamps or attach them has always worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back