HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 23, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #9,496 of 25,858
HOW TO Replace a Susvara Head Strap

I recently replaced the head strap on my Susvara, and thought I'd chronicle the experience for the potential benefit of anyone else needing to do same. I bought my Susvara used a couple years back, and the head strap was already a bit raggedy at that time. The most annoying aspect was that the ends had stretched and were no longer rigid, which meant the strap flopped upside down when the Susvara was removed from my head. I lived with this for a long time, and finally decided to fix it. I contacted HFM support and ordered a new strap, which set me back $50 + $15 shipping to California (from China). It took about a week to arrive from the time I ordered it.

When I went to install the strap, it became apparent that to remove the two little screws on the bottom of each slider, you have to remove the ear cup gimbals unless you have a very short Phillips screwdriver (which I don't). This simply requires removing two screws that secure the clamp at the base of the metal headband on both sides. Unfortunately, while performing this operation, both screws on the left side broke (may have rusted tight in their cast receptacle holes). After I removed the clamps, it was then straightforward to remove the tiny screws at the base of each slider. However, on one of the sliders, both screws again broke. Since the ends of all the broken screws were still lodged inside their receptacle holes, simply finding replacement screws would have done no good. I had to contact HFM support once again and order new sliders and clamps. Cost for these parts totaled $65 + $15 shipping, and I received them again a little over a week after ordering them. I will say that HFM support was consistently excellent and helpful throughout the entire process.

Anyway, once I had the new parts in hand, reassembly was very straightforward. There's really only one way the metal pieces on each end of the head strap will fit into the sliders. I did bend the tab on each metal end out a little bit to increase the sliding resistance, which was too low (for me) by default. This should be done carefully to avoid damaging anything. Putting the ear cup gimbals back on is only slightly trickier. The indent in the central pin should face outward so that the pin can mate with the end of the metal headband (see photo). Pushing up on the pin with one finger will make this easier. Once the headband is slotted into the pin, simply align and push the outer half of the clamp through the holes in the headband, mate the inner half of the clamp and use the screws to secure the whole assembly. Easy peasy.

I've attached a handful of photos which may be of interest. I will say that the dark lettering on the new parts is a nice improvement on the older style simple routed look. It wasn't dirt cheap to replace the strap, but all in all it was definitely worth it. The worst part was being without the Susvara for over two weeks! The Utopia makes sweet music, but the Susvara is sublime.

Attachments

• 20210623_142538.jpg
    20210623_142538.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210623_142242.jpg
    20210623_142242.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210623_142304.jpg
    20210623_142304.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210623_142802.jpg
    20210623_142802.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210623_145612.jpg
    20210623_145612.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210623_150534.jpg
    20210623_150534.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 24, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #9,497 of 25,858
hey guys!

i'm no longer using my Dekoni Sheepskin fenestrated pads.
you guys are a pretty nice bunch and so, i'm willing to "gift" them to whoever wants them.
they still look like new and i still have the original packaging.

some conditions though..
1. person who gets them has to be a regular poster/contributor in this thread. extra points if you have had conversations with me (either on this thread or PM).
2. person who gets them must not have these pads already but still want it for spares.
3. u get the pads for free, but pay me for shipping (USD20 should cover PP fees, a padded envelope, my time and petrol, and registered mail with tracking to USA). I can do FedEx but at added cost to the person taking these pads.

lemme know if anyone is interested on taking me up on this offer.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #9,498 of 25,858
hey guys!

you guys are a pretty nice bunch and so, i'm willing to "gift" them to whoever wants them.

some conditions though..
1. person who gets them has to be a regular poster/contributor in this thread. extra points if you have had conversations with me (either on this thread or PM).
2. person who gets them must not have these pads already but still want it for spares.
3. u get the pads for free, but pay me for shipping (USD20 should cover PP fees, a padded envelope, my time and petrol, and registered mail with tracking to USA). I can do FedEx but at added cost to the person taking these pads.

Very generous, kudos to you!

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #9,499 of 25,858
hey guys!

some conditions though..

Generous offer indeed.

I'm interested, why did you go back to stock pads? What do you like better with those?

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #9,500 of 25,858
Generous offer indeed.

I'm interested, why did you go back to stock pads? What do you like better with those?

The Dekonis are good in their own way, but in the end I realized I preferred a slightly more relaxed sound over the detail and distinct imaging the Dekonis offered. Also happier with the low end on the stock pads. Am glad I gave them a try though. Now to let someone else have a go!

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #9,501 of 25,858
The Dekonis are good in their own way, but in the end I realized I preferred a slightly more relaxed sound over the detail and distinct imaging the Dekonis offered. Also happier with the low end on the stock pads. Am glad I gave them a try though. Now to let someone else have a go!

Woop wrong timing for me I just bought online 2 days ago. Would have gladly accepted your offer and i’m also from sg!

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #9,502 of 25,858
I've been listening to the susvara with the modded flux fa-10 amp for about a week now and just today got my denafrips pontus II dac today. I am amazed by this setup, it's by far the best audio I've ever heard and I'm very pleased with it! :) The dac sounds like a huge upgrade over the one I was using earlier. I am considering getting the niimbus at some point but I'm not sure how much better the audio could possibly get.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #9,503 of 25,858
I'm not sure how much better the audio could possibly get.
That's something you will experience every now and then.

Sometimes you reach a point from where it's hard to imagine better, until you hear it.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #9,504 of 25,858
I am considering getting the niimbus at some point but I'm not sure how much better the audio could possibly get.
That's something you will experience every now and then.

Sometimes you reach a point from where it's hard to imagine better, until you hear it.
Just keep experimenting, it has 3 benefits:
1) You may stumble upon an improvement you did not expect, shattering your expectations
2) You may learn about yourself something you did not know, which will allow you to change direction in the future
3) You may not like the new device, and you will re-sale for a loss, but in turn allow someone who could not afford a new unit to get into this hobby

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #9,505 of 25,858
Just keep experimenting, it has 3 benefits:
1) You may stumble upon an improvement you did not expect, shattering your expectations
2) You may learn about yourself something you did not know, which will allow you to change direction in the future
3) You may not like the new device, and you will re-sale for a loss, but in turn allow someone who could not afford a new unit to get into this hobby

Damn, that's a pretty good way of looking at it, especially point 3, ahah.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #9,506 of 25,858
I've been listening to the susvara with the modded flux fa-10 amp for about a week now and just today got my denafrips pontus II dac today. I am amazed by this setup, it's by far the best audio I've ever heard and I'm very pleased with it! :) The dac sounds like a huge upgrade over the one I was using earlier. I am considering getting the niimbus at some point but I'm not sure how much better the audio could possibly get.
I was surprised why nobody recommends the amp here. 16 W in 32 ohm, designed for the Susvara, for 750. I'll check this one out.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #9,507 of 25,858

That's a nice way to put it, yup :L3000:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #9,508 of 25,858
I'd also add that sometimes (oftentimes), the new-and-shiny thing can sound markedly superior and more exciting just for being different and unfamiliar. And then it may take a few weeks or months to be able to properly and soberly assess the pros-and-cons of the new thing against the old. But that this process itself can be half of the fun (can't lie).

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #9,509 of 25,858
I'd also add that sometimes (oftentimes), the new-and-shiny thing can sound markedly superior and more exciting just for being different and unfamiliar. And then it may take a few weeks or months to be able to properly and soberly assess the pros-and-cons of the new thing against the old. But that this process itself can be half of the fun (can't lie).
There are so many biases (I don't mean it negatively) when getting new gear. Also, one wants to share with his or her online head-fi friends, adding to the excitement. At this level, everything is already amazing, so worth paying attention to reviewer's taste.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #9,510 of 25,858
I was surprised why nobody recommends the amp here. 16 W in 32 ohm, designed for the Susvara, for 750. I'll check this one out.
There have been at least two of us that have :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back