HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 22, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #9,467 of 26,657
This was useful, thanks. These are the ZMF Auteur Hybrid pads (perforated, sheepskin + velour):

PXL_20210622_142849207~2 aut.jpg

It's fun how fat they are. Smoother treble than the Dekoni FSS, which is good for my current objectives. Big drop-off going into the lowest couple of octaves, unfortunately. Not completely unviable, depending on genre, but probably not worth keeping on for any real length of time.

The other ZMF pads I have are the stock Auteur pads (fenestrated sheepskin), which I may not bother trying out.
How did you mange to put ZMF pads on Susvara?

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #9,468 of 26,657
How did you mange to put ZMF pads on Susvara?

It's described by @ufospls2 here.

The important thing is that you need a pair of plastic O-rings that are part of the Harmony pads. Fortunately (I mean, unfortunately, very, very unfortunately), the stock pads are known to tear apart over time, so there is an increased likelihood that a person may have a spare set lying around (I have THREE bad sets of pads on hand, and counting). The O-rings come apart from the rest of the pad very easily (on account of their spectacularly poor build quality). It's also possible Hifiman sells them separately, but I'm not sure.

From there, you simply tuck the ZMF pad around the O-ring, and then installation of the pad onto the headphone is same as usual.

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #9,469 of 26,657
Off topic, but maybe not entirely:

What streamers (and external clocks) have you found to work well with the Susvara?

(Have asked this question on the TC thread as well)
Sajid, I'm trying really hard to think how a streamer would either work well or not with a specific headphone, unless you mean an integrated streamer with a headamp, like Bartok?

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #9,470 of 26,657
It's described by @ufospls2 here.

The important thing is that you need a pair of plastic O-rings that are part of the Harmony pads. Fortunately (I mean, unfortunately, very, very unfortunately), the stock pads are known to tear apart over time, so there is an increased likelihood that a person may have a spare set lying around (I have THREE bad sets of pads on hand, and counting). The O-rings come apart from the rest of the pad very easily (on account of their spectacularly poor build quality). It's also possible Hifiman sells them separately, but I'm not sure.

From there, you simply tuck the ZMF pad around the O-ring, and then installation of the pad onto the headphone is same as usual.
Yes, they fit almost perfectly, thanks.:beerchug:

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #9,471 of 26,657
Off topic, but maybe not entirely:

What streamers (and external clocks) have you found to work well with the Susvara?

(Have asked this question on the TC thread as well)
I am running this streamer clock chain with good results.

Lumin U1/X1PS -> USB -> Mutec MC3+/Ref10 120 -> AES -> Mutec MC3+/Ref10 120 -> AES

And I am about to change it to

Lumin U1/X1PS -> SPDif -> Mutec MC3+/Ref10 120 -> SPDif -> Mutec MC3+/Ref10 120 -> AES

The Ref 10 is feeding an Etherregen as well

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #9,472 of 26,657
Sajid, I'm trying really hard to think how a streamer would either work well or not with a specific headphone, unless you mean an integrated streamer with a headamp, like Bartok?
This rather respectable audiophile friend claims his innuos streamer and external clock fixed his TC’s mids for him. To be honest, I don’t have much experience with streamers or clocks, have tried a couple, and in both cases, the improvements to my May DAC were subtle and in the realm of resolution only, but thought I’d throw the question out to see what I get.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #9,474 of 26,657

Not that I've confirmed it myself, but I've read a few posts on other forums with examples like the sonore optical rendu has a neutral to cold presentation, and for a more organic and warmer sound to consider Sotm.

Bits are supposedly bits, but hey we're headfi right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #9,475 of 26,657
Not that I've confirmed it myself, but I've read a few posts on other forums with examples like the sonore optical rendu has a neutral to cold presentation, and for a more organic and warmer sound to consider Sotm.

Bits are supposedly bits, but hey we're headfi right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The main problem with subjective impressions of streamers, reclockers, etc. is that their impact on sonics will be highly dependent on the DAC with which they're used. The more well-engineered the DAC in terms of jitter elimination, the less impact an outboard device should have. Bits are bits, but timing errors (jitter) can affect sonics.

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #9,476 of 26,657

I am using optical rendu into the innuous phoenix and love it

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #9,477 of 26,657
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #9,478 of 26,657
The main problem with subjective impressions of streamers, reclockers, etc. is that their impact on sonics will be highly dependent on the DAC with which they're used. The more well-engineered the DAC in terms of jitter elimination, the less impact an outboard device should have. Bits are bits, but timing errors (jitter) can affect sonics.
Yeah, that's right. It is indeed DAC dependent.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #9,479 of 26,657
And poor over-sampling !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back