HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 23, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #9,481 of 26,742
for those who use EQ, have you guys tried the Oratory EQ for the Susvara?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77xp4wrohjgwqzq/Hifiman Susvara.pdf?dl=0

Not sure when he released this one, but I just tried it, and it sounds better than the EQ i was previously using.

*edit
saw the date at the bottom right of his EQ; 2019 lol.. i've been missing out.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #9,482 of 26,742
for those who use EQ, have you guys tried the Oratory EQ for the Susvara?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77xp4wrohjgwqzq/Hifiman Susvara.pdf?dl=0

Not sure when he released this one, but I just tried it, and it sounds better than the EQ i was previously using.

*edit
saw the date at the bottom right of his EQ; 2019 lol.. i've been missing out.
It is a wonderful starting point for tuning the Sus to your personal taste. Been using his EQ profile all the time, slightly modified, less extreme. The Susvara retains more of its original sound profile, but is clearly more dynamic and engaging to my ears. I also understood this resembles more the original Harman curve for headphones, Oratory uses a later spec Harman curve which is a little more bass heavy.

Currently Using Roon for EQ and then OS in HQplayer, which sounds ridiculously good and transparent. Still, I want to try my EQ profile directly in HQplayer, need to figure out how to do this. It might even sound better.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #9,483 of 26,742
Jun 23, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #9,484 of 26,742
Jun 23, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #9,485 of 26,742
You can use peak equivalents to shelfs, generally speaking. The measurement looks the same, too.

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #9,486 of 26,742
You can use peak equivalents to shelfs, generally speaking. The measurement looks the same, too.

Ah cool thanks man!
Will give the convolution file a go.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #9,487 of 26,742
Finally got an Moon Audio cable susvara to speaker taps cable. I'll be trying it out with my Dave as a pre w/my Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Most brands are still backordered via my dealer, and I'd really prefer to go through him. I may look at the Bakoon, but I'm just not sure. Still noodling on that. He recommended the Nimbus 5 Pro, with a new model releasing in a few weeks? I'll need to look into that, but I'll definitely post some impressions after a few weeks no matter what I end up with.

edit* one piece of good news from the dealer, Shangri-LA Sr should be headed to him in about a week and then finally to me. :)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #9,488 of 26,742
Finally got an Moon Audio cable susvara to speaker taps cable. I'll be trying it out with my Dave as a pre w/my Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Most brands are still backordered via my dealer, and I'd really prefer to go through him. I may look at the Bakoon, but I'm just not sure. Still noodling on that. He recommended the Nimbus 5 Pro, with a new model releasing in a few weeks? I'll need to look into that, but I'll definitely post some impressions after a few weeks no matter what I end up with.
Is the WA33 not doing it for you with the Susvara?

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #9,490 of 26,742
Is the WA33 not doing it for you with the Susvara?

Oh it is. I actually love the combo lol

I just have the typical curiosity due to the impressions and comments in this thread. Honestly, if I don't hear noticeable improvement with the Marantz, I'll may not purchase any additional amp. Only other thing is I do feel that the Sr1a could benefit from a speaker amp vs. the HSA-1b. So we'll see how it goes with the Marantz first.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #9,491 of 26,742
In case someone is interested in a really fine and excellent cable for the Susvara, I am selling mine, because it is to short for my use case. It's an Arctic Signum+ cable (length 3m /10ft)
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/headphone-cable-arctic-signum-for-hifiman-e-g-susvara.6596/
I need a 71/2 ft single ended cable. What are the current recommended SE cables to replace stock with that has real world value. I have a Norne silver garde S3 cable for the HEKse right now but not sure if it’s best for Susvara.

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #9,492 of 26,742
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #9,494 of 26,742
I need a 71/2 ft single ended cable. What are the current recommended SE cables to replace stock with that has real world value. I have a Norne silver garde S3 cable for the HEKse right now but not sure if it’s best for Susvara.
i also had the Silvergarde S3 for my HeKSE, but it worked really well for the Susvara as well. After getting the Susvara, I upgraded to the S4, which was even better, and made a noticeable, if subtle improvement over the S3 in certain technicalities while staying within the same ballpark in tonaliity... I loved the S4 so much that I subsequently went for the S4 8-wire, and that has shown me perhaps everything I never knew about "end-game" cable performance with the susvara, if one can ever speak or any such "end-game" in this area.

Do not get me wrong, the standard S4 is already a superlative performing cable, and you do not need to feel obliged to go for the 8-wire version (I was personally more than satisfied with the standard S4, but I went for the 8-wire because I conduct myself like a maniac sometimes, in moments when I get tempted to push some experimentations to their furthest extremes just to see what that looks like, sonically speaking. Sometimes the results can be underwhelming or meh, but this is one occasion where I have really enjoyed the results of the experimentation. Still, I should insist that going 8-wire is not necessary, as the standard S4 performs in the same "end-gamish" ballpark, albeit without the "radioactively extreme" effects of the 8-wire version, which might not be to everyone's taste."

Besides, as Trevor himself often says, the "8-wire S4 is not for the faint of wallet," which is an idea I completely share, given how my wallet is still grimacing in pain from the effects of that event" :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #9,495 of 26,742
It is a wonderful starting point for tuning the Sus to your personal taste. Been using his EQ profile all the time, slightly modified, less extreme. The Susvara retains more of its original sound profile, but is clearly more dynamic and engaging to my ears. I also understood this resembles more the original Harman curve for headphones, Oratory uses a later spec Harman curve which is a little more bass heavy.

Currently Using Roon for EQ and then OS in HQplayer, which sounds ridiculously good and transparent. Still, I want to try my EQ profile directly in HQplayer, need to figure out how to do this. It might even sound better.
Thanks for that post. I definitely have found that eq a little too bottom heavy when i tried it a while ago and also re trying it last night. Well at least it was for me and my setup.

i might try tweaking it a bit. Mind you, i in no way was looking or felt like i need to eq the susvara in my setup. But I might just play with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back