HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 15, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #7,501 of 25,554
Can you guys recommend me a closed back headphone that it is balanced and doesn’t disappoint after using Susvara?
No

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #7,502 of 25,554
Foam can be a fickle thing, sometimes there is a +/- 2mm deviation when its molded and cut for each pair of pad. Sorry for the trouble and if you would like more support feel free to contact us on our website.

Thanks for reaching out, I already did via the RMA page on Dekoni, no response yet.

Question: I expected pads similar shaped (thick in the back, narrow to the front) to this picture posted a couple of days ago, mentioning a possibility to buy Dekoni Susvara pads at drop.com soon. These are HE6 according to the filename however.

The pads I received are almost flat, with only a minimal thickness difference back to front (Max 1-2 mm). I doublechecked these Susvara replacement pads on Dekoni.com: they do seem similar shaped to what I have received.

I did just try them, montage is super easy with the credit card trick for the last latch. As expected, both my ears touch/brush the mesh lightly now (oem only slightest brush on the right). Well, you know what say about men with big ears? Me neither :beyersmile:

It is not all bad though: the Dekoni *** do sound more energetic and completely understand why folks love em. Not sure about soundstage, I need more time with them to understand the differences.

@Dekoni: mayby in comparison with earlier OEM pads version they had a bitter fit, but new Susvara owners probably will not get a good impression just like me. For $99, I was expecting more tbh. If the were only 1 or 2 mm thicker at the back, at least visually they would impress me a whole lot better. No idea if this would be good idea for the sound quality.

Conclusion: I am impressed with the sound, but not with the uneven build quality and comfort. Not sure what I want to do.. (mayby plastic surgery on my ears :k701smile: )

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_211548.jpg
    IMG_20210315_211548.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #7,503 of 25,554
Thanks for reaching out, I already did via the RMA page on Dekoni, no response yet.

Question: I expected pads similar shaped (thick in the back, narrow to the front) to this picture posted a couple of days ago, mentioning a possibility to buy Dekoni Susvara pads at drop.com soon. These are HE6 according to the filename however.

The pads I received are almost flat, with only a minimal thickness difference back to front (Max 1-2 mm). I doublechecked these Susvara replacement pads on Dekoni.com: they do seem similar shaped to what I have received.

I did just try them, montage is super easy with the credit card trick for the last latch. As expected, both my ears touch/brush the mesh lightly now (oem only slightest brush on the right). Well, you know what say about men with big ears? Me neither :beyersmile:

It is not all bad though: the Dekoni *** do sound more energetic and completely understand why folks love em. Not sure about soundstage, I need more time with them to understand the differences.

@Dekoni: mayby in comparison with earlier OEM pads version they had a bitter fit, but new Susvara owners probably will not get a good impression just like me. For $99, I was expecting more tbh. If the were only 1 or 2 mm thicker at the back, at least visually they would impress me a whole lot better. No idea if this would be good idea for the sound quality.

Conclusion: I am impressed with the sound, but not with the uneven build quality and comfort. Not sure what I want to do.. (mayby plastic surgery on my ears :k701smile: )
Those pads look about the same width as the stock if you ignore the stitching, but if your ears touch, it's not good. Glad you find the sound to be nice though!

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #7,504 of 25,554
Can you guys recommend me a closed back headphone that it is balanced and doesn’t disappoint after using Susvara?

Haha, I have been on the same quest... The HiFiMAN HE-R10P was my only reasonable contender, but have not listen to it yet...

Out of curiosity, and because folks here on head-fi loved the UM Mest IEM balanced sound and spacious soundstage, I gave the Mest a try. Is does not come close to the Susvara detail, coherency, timbre and smoothness, but it did open my eyes for IEM as a portable alternative instead of closed back headphones. This IEM amazingly fun to listen to and the soundstage did not disappoint at all.

Long story short: I ordered the TOTL Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM, similary priced to the Susvara...

11448739.jpg

It has massively positive reviews everywhere, but only one major critique: its price... Does this sound familiar to fellow Susvara owers? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, it is incoming, and I'm hoping for a good fit. Mayby I found a portable Susvara. My expectations are probably too high....

Attachments

• 11226572.jpg
    11226572.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #7,505 of 25,554
I forgot to mention that I was very impressed with the Campfire Solaris IEMs at the last Canjam I attended. Not cheap ($1500), but way more compact and will isolate better than any closed back headphone. FWIW.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #7,506 of 25,554
I was just noticing how much more demanding the Susvara are to drive than the Abyss. People tend to put them in the same category as harder to drive planars, but the Susvara is really far more demanding than the Abyss. On my backup system, an SMSL SP200, I can easily put it in low gain for the Abyss and I'm about 12 - 2'oclock on the volume. With the Susvara, I have put it in high gain and increase the volume a bit.
For real. The TC is easy to drive in comparison (which is crazy to think about). I’ve found a lot of headphone amps that claim they can drive everything, really mean everything except the Susvaras... :beyersmile:

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #7,507 of 25,554
For real. The TC is easy to drive in comparison (which is crazy to think about). I’ve found a lot of headphone amps that claim they can drive everything, really mean everything except the Susvaras... :beyersmile:
Agreed. But with the Formula S, I still have about 75% left on the volume dial, on high gain, with the Dave in DAC mode. On most recent recordings. I only need to turn it way up with some older recordings.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #7,508 of 25,554
Haha, I have been on the same quest... The HiFiMAN HE-R10P was my only reasonable contender, but have not listen to it yet...

Out of curiosity, and because folks here on head-fi loved the UM Mest IEM balanced sound and spacious soundstage, I gave the Mest a try. Is does not come close to the Susvara detail, coherency, timbre and smoothness, but it did open my eyes for IEM as a portable alternative instead of closed back headphones. This IEM amazingly fun to listen to and the soundstage did not disappoint at all.

Long story short: I ordered the TOTL Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM, similary priced to the Susvara...

11448739.jpg

It has massively positive reviews everywhere, but only one major critique: its price... Does this sound familiar to fellow Susvara owers? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, it is incoming, and I'm hoping for a good fit. Mayby I found a portable Susvara. My expectations are probably too high....
Would love to hear what you think of the Traillii compared to Susvara once you get them!

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #7,509 of 25,554
I was just noticing how much more demanding the Susvara are to drive than the Abyss. People tend to put them in the same category as harder to drive planars, but the Susvara is really far more demanding than the Abyss. On my backup system, an SMSL SP200, I can easily put it in low gain for the Abyss and I'm about 12 - 2'oclock on the volume. With the Susvara, I have put it in high gain and increase the volume a bit.

Agreed, and that doesn't just apply for volume either. The Susvara require significantly more to extract dynamics, soundstage and proper bass control. Most HP amps don't do well for the Susvara IME.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #7,510 of 25,554
interestingly I find my susvara more difficult to drive than my abyss tc but not by leaps and bounds...I basically find myself using the chord dave /blu2 at -3 with the abyss and 0 with the susvara and then similar volume on the amp

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #7,511 of 25,554
Agreed. But with the Formula S, I still have about 75% left on the volume dial, on high gain, with the Dave in DAC mode. On most recent recordings. I only need to turn it way up with some older recordings.
despite power rating the formula s/powerman does a very nice job with the susvara and obviously with the abyss

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #7,512 of 25,554

11448739.jpg

The cable looks exceptionally well Made for a Stock cable.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #7,513 of 25,554
interestingly I find my susvara more difficult to drive than my abyss tc but not by leaps and bounds...I basically find myself using the chord dave /blu2 at -3 with the abyss and 0 with the susvara and then similar volume on the amp
I guess I should clarify. You can drive the Susvaras with a lot of headphone amps, but you can’t drive them well. I’m thinking stuff like the Raal HSA-1b and Schiit Jotunheim (I know you disagree about the HSA-1b, but I listen to a lot of hip-hop and metal).

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #7,514 of 25,554
The cable looks exceptionally well Made for a Stock cable.
It just so happens to be a $2.2k cable ... (PWA 1960 4-wire). You have an eye for it! :)

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #7,515 of 25,554
I guess I should clarify. You can drive the Susvaras with a lot of headphone amps, but you can’t drive them well. I’m thinking stuff like the Raal HSA-1b and Schiit Jotunheim (I know you disagree about the HSA-1b, but I listen to a lot of hip-hop and metal).
understood, I am speaking of for the most part the bakoon 13r and the formula s/powerman but I also think the hsa-1b does a satisfactory job...perhaps not up to the standards of the other 2 I mentioned but reasonably good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back