HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 15, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #7,486 of 25,607
Some people's stock pads are really thick compared to mine. Also, try on the Dekoni, even if they appear thinner. If they're firmer than the stock, they might compress less and actually provide more room.
I was hoping the same, but the Dekonis seem less firm AND are rounded at the side that touches your face, it will compress more than OEM. The difference in size with OEM pads is striking tbh.

Clearly others here had a better batch: these Dekonis seem off.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #7,487 of 25,607
i have a recent production unit (came in from hifiman in December - 3.5mm ) and it seems to also have thicker pads

i also found that when i first took them out of the box (perhaps due to tighter clamp due to thicker pads maybe) that the earpads were a little pushed (or turned) up, from the inside at the top. you may see that in this photo

absolutely no dramas/issue though

IMG_7861.jpg

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #7,489 of 25,607
All the recent/3.5 mm units shown above seem to have thicker stock pads. Could it be that this was a change that was made at the same time as the transition to 3.5 mm, but that we missed that part?

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #7,491 of 25,607
All the recent/3.5 mm units shown above seem to have thicker stock pads. Could it be that this was a change that was made at the same time as the transition to 3.5 mm, but that we missed that part?
I think another change to the later Susvara models may be the finish of the aluminium parts of the headphone grilles and the arms i.e. when I look at photos of the older versions of the Susvara the aluminium parts looks like bare aluminium surfaces but my late 2020 / early 2021 3.5mm jack build model has the aluminium parts painted with a metallic silver paint finish.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #7,492 of 25,607
I think another change to the later Susvara models may be the finish of the aluminium parts of the headphone grilles and the arms i.e. when I look at photos of the older versions of the Susvara the aluminium parts looks like bare aluminium surfaces but my late 2020 / early 2021 3.5mm jack build model has the aluminium parts painted with a metallic silver paint finish.
And the thickness of the black headband material looks a bit thinner on my late 2020 / early 2021 3.5mm jack build model than on older models !

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #7,493 of 25,607
These headphones are a blessing and a curse. After you listen to them you can pick up any imperfection in other headphones.

I am looking for a closed back headphone for the office but I can find something satisfying.
I tried Campfire Cascade (to bassi) Audio-Technica AWAS (to line in bass).

Can you guys recommend me a closed back headphone that it is balanced and doesn’t disappoint after using Susvara?

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #7,494 of 25,607
Sucks to see so much variation between the ear pads, both stock and the Dekoni! I guess it's just chance how thick your pads are.

For reference, here's my stock, next to my FSS - they're both about the same in width, but the FSS is firmer and prevents my ear lobe from touching the lining.

20210315_142032.jpg

In the pic below, notice the parts touching each other - the part that touches my face normally is where it is thickest.

20210315_143957 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #7,496 of 25,607
I was just noticing how much more demanding the Susvara are to drive than the Abyss. People tend to put them in the same category as harder to drive planars, but the Susvara is really far more demanding than the Abyss. On my backup system, an SMSL SP200, I can easily put it in low gain for the Abyss and I'm about 12 - 2'oclock on the volume. With the Susvara, I have put it in high gain and increase the volume a bit.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #7,497 of 25,607
The Dekoni are 23mm max without any compression: my Susvara OEM pad (2021 build) is 26mm at the back. My right ear lobe very lightly already touches the grill/mesh with the OEM pads.

That's what she said :) I can imagine the close up photo with an typically wide angle mobile came makes things worse.
Foam can be a fickle thing, sometimes there is a +/- 2mm deviation when its molded and cut for each pair of pad. Sorry for the trouble and if you would like more support feel free to contact us on our website.

Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Mar 15, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #7,498 of 25,607
These headphones are a blessing and a curse. After you listen to them you can pick up any imperfection in other headphones.

I am looking for a closed back headphone for the office but I can find something satisfying.

Can you guys recommend me a closed back headphone that it is balanced and doesn’t disappoint after using Susvara?
I am currently listening to The Similitude of a Dream by the Neal Morse Band, with the Susvara, and it sounds absolutely glorious! (Dekoni pads, but without EQ :wink:)

1615837069876.png

I agree, it is challenging to find a closed back that is this good, or as good as the Abyss 1266 TC. I am happy with my closed backs (Verite Closed, Audeze LCD-XC, Sony MDR-Z1R), but none of them can match the Susvara or the Abyss TC...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #7,499 of 25,607

I've never heard a closed back headphone that delivers anywhere near the sound quality of the Susvara. A lot of people seem to like the Focal Stellia, although as a Utopia owner I found them rather disappointing. I remember auditioning the Sony MDR-Z1R at a Canjam a few years ago and thinking it was pretty decent, although a bit bulky. It had a similar sound signature to an older Denon with maybe a bit more midrange clarity. Good low end. One of the classic Denon cans may fit the bill if you're looking for a relative bargain and you like bass.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #7,500 of 25,607

fwiw my fav closed-backs are the verite closed, i still use them all the time

not quite susvara levels but closed-backs are pretty limited in terms of good options
also my bakoon breathed new life into the VC too which is awesome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back