HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #7,516 of 25,663
These headphones are a blessing and a curse. After you listen to them you can pick up any imperfection in other headphones.

I am looking for a closed back headphone for the office but I can find something satisfying.
I tried Campfire Cascade (to bassi) Audio-Technica AWAS (to line in bass).

Can you guys recommend me a closed back headphone that it is balanced and doesn’t disappoint after using Susvara?

fwiw my fav closed-backs are the verite closed, i still use them all the time

not quite susvara levels but closed-backs are pretty limited in terms of good options
also my bakoon breathed new life into the VC too which is awesome :)

VC is a very solid option. Obviously, ultimately not as great with the technicalities as the Susvara, but it gets a lot right. Would also agree with the second post here that speaks to them scaling well. That said, no current closed can is going to be able to match the Susvara's performance closely.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #7,517 of 25,663
As much as it seems everybody loves the ZMF VCs, I don’t share the same enthusiasm. I bought a pair of LTD Leopardwood VCs last year. I tried to love them. I tried to like them. I tried swapping earpads. I tried different cables. But, to no avail, so I sold them.

I think it was perhaps not fair to compare the VCs with the Susvaras or TCs, but alas, it is what it is. I think part of the reason I didn’t like the VCs is because they are dynamic headphones. Planar headphones, like the Susvaras, are just so much better. I’m not sure there are any dynamic headphones that I would like, but I put in an order for some Utopias (my second time with them) that should get here next month, if they don’t get delayed again :deadhorse:

I’ve not tried the Stellias, but they might be a good closed back. The Hifiman R10p gets mixed reviews, but I’m still curious to try them.

Really, Abyss needs to drop their Diana Phi Closed. I think that would be the closed back to get. :L3000:

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #7,518 of 25,663
Two closed backs I look forward to are Kennerton Rognir and Diana closed. Hopefully they’ll be released sooner rather than later and either one would be a good complement to Susvara.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #7,519 of 25,663
As much as it seems everybody loves the ZMF VCs, I don’t share the same enthusiasm. I bought a pair of LTD Leopardwood VCs last year. I tried to love them. I tried to like them. I tried swapping earpads. I tried different cables. But, to no avail, so I sold them.

I think it was perhaps not fair to compare the VCs with the Susvaras or TCs, but alas, it is what it is. I think part of the reason I didn’t like the VCs is because they are dynamic headphones. Planar headphones, like the Susvaras, are just so much better. I’m not sure there are any dynamic headphones that I would like, but I put in an order for some Utopias (my second time with them) that should get here next month, if they don’t get delayed again :deadhorse:

I’ve not tried the Stellias, but they might be a good closed back. The Hifiman R10p gets mixed reviews, but I’m still curious to try them.

Really, Abyss needs to drop their Diana Phi Closed. I think that would be the closed back to get. :L3000:
Personally my VC get's a lot more head-time than my utopias, ever since I got the VC. And I hated the stellias for the short time I had 'em *shrug*.

Definitely curious to see what Abyss comes up with though!

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #7,520 of 25,663

I don't think the VCs are for everybody. Some will love them, some won't.They can seem a bit too flat/neutral at times, lacks just a bit of excitement imo.

But to be fair. The Audio Technica L3000 are the *only* closed cans that I've found as enjoyable or more than either the TC or Susvara.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #7,521 of 25,663
I’ve not tried the Stellias, but they might be a good closed back.

Give them a go! I love my Stellias. A whole lot more than the VC.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #7,523 of 25,663
So no one has experience with both the Wells Audio Headtripp II and the Bakoon 13R
Well no-one who read your message in the last 9 hours (and who wanted to reply). No.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #7,524 of 25,663
Give them a go! I love my Stellias. A whole lot more than the VC.
Ah, the wonderful world of audio....... I have the exact opposite experience lol. I had stellia for a while, vastly preferred VC and is what I kept :)

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #7,525 of 25,663
Haha, I have been on the same quest... The HiFiMAN HE-R10P was my only reasonable contender, but have not listen to it yet...

Out of curiosity, and because folks here on head-fi loved the UM Mest IEM balanced sound and spacious soundstage, I gave the Mest a try. Is does not come close to the Susvara detail, coherency, timbre and smoothness, but it did open my eyes for IEM as a portable alternative instead of closed back headphones. This IEM amazingly fun to listen to and the soundstage did not disappoint at all.

Long story short: I ordered the TOTL Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM, similary priced to the Susvara...

11448739.jpg

It has massively positive reviews everywhere, but only one major critique: its price... Does this sound familiar to fellow Susvara owers? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, it is incoming, and I'm hoping for a good fit. Mayby I found a portable Susvara. My expectations are probably too high....
Thanks. Out of curiosity I put an order in.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #7,526 of 25,663
Haha, I have been on the same quest... The HiFiMAN HE-R10P was my only reasonable contender, but have not listen to it yet...

Out of curiosity, and because folks here on head-fi loved the UM Mest IEM balanced sound and spacious soundstage, I gave the Mest a try. Is does not come close to the Susvara detail, coherency, timbre and smoothness, but it did open my eyes for IEM as a portable alternative instead of closed back headphones. This IEM amazingly fun to listen to and the soundstage did not disappoint at all.

Long story short: I ordered the TOTL Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM, similary priced to the Susvara...

11448739.jpg

It has massively positive reviews everywhere, but only one major critique: its price... Does this sound familiar to fellow Susvara owers? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, it is incoming, and I'm hoping for a good fit. Mayby I found a portable Susvara. My expectations are probably too high....
Yes, I had the same experience using Campfire Solaris. It is a phenomenal IEM but has the disadvantage of every IEM on the market: it must be inserted in the ear canal :)

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #7,528 of 25,663

Users who are viewing this thread

Back