HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #7,531 of 25,662
Hey there, for those prices, I strongly recommend just having a Dynahi or CFA3 commissioned for the Susvara. I haven't heard the Bakoon but I was a bit underwhelmed by the Formula S.
SHHHH. :laughing:

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #7,532 of 25,662
But I am looking for a bit more information then just bit better.
Then get the Hifiman EF1000 as this is the official Amp for the Susvara !

Hope to get my EF1000 hopefully in time for the Easter hols !

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #7,533 of 25,662
You know, I really prefer happy endings so I a rather not capitulate this easily in the Dekoni Saga.

I have big ears, and most likely a pea sized cave man brain, but it is a good thing I loved watching Mac Gyver when I was young.

I think I Mac Gyvered my Dekoni FSS pads to perfection...

images.jpg

Before this I called them Dekoni *** pads. (Switch the middle S to F, but head-fi does not like me to adult abbreviations.) :beyersmile:

Anyway, my main gripe is that the FSS pads are too shallow in comparison to the OEM pads. Interestingly the other two pads, regular Sheepskin and Hybrid, are clearly better in comfort but still not perfect. Sonically I prefer only the FSS to the OEM pad, but need more time with the others. The FSS currently is my favorite Dekoni so far.

I realized I only needed 1-2 mm of extra space in the back of the headphone. So I checked out the inside of the pad and realized I could fit something underneath, in between the frame and pad, to raise the pad and create room for my lovely Shrek ears. I took a flat electric wire use for lighting, cut a 6-7 cm piece and squeezed it in.

Pictures say more than a thousands words...

1615910283346.jpg

1615910283339.jpg

1615910616034 (1).jpg

1615912766774.jpg

Probably I will also try UTP cable as a spacer for even more room. So far these small differences have a big impact for my comfort.

Really happy I gave the Dekoni FSS a shot and let the build quality and comfort not get in the way. No way I am going back to OEM pads for now, they sound dull in comparison. Never imagined the Susvara would change this much. Some technical aspects: specifically imaging precision and micro detail in mids, is ever so slightly reduced. But Soundstage, transients, sub(bass), and upper mids presence region seem improved substantially, giving the Sus more fun/energetic character that reminds of my super fun Mest IEMs.

The OEM pad reminds of a studio with too much damping: after the floor and walls are made concrete and a couple of hard panels are added on the side walls, for more reflections, made the Studio more alive. The Dekoni FSS Mac Gyver edition seems to do the same.

@dekoni, just filed my patent for the "Dekoni elephant ear spacer", PM me if you want good deal.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #7,534 of 25,662
Then get the Hifiman EF1000 as this is the official Amp for the Susvara !

Hope to get my EF1000 hopefully in time for the Easter hols !
Looking forward to your impressions.
Maybe it's a positive thing ghat I don't own the Susvara (yet)

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #7,536 of 25,662
I'm joining the headphone club finally!

I'm going to be buying a pair of headphones - either the Hifiman Susvara or the T+A Solitaire P - shortly.

These will be driven initially by a 20 year old yamaha speaker amp or my chord polymojo (sacrilege in these parts I know but you've got to work with what you have).

My gut, after doing a lot of reading on head-fi, tells me to go for the Solitaire P because I understand the upgrade path (to the HA-200 headphone amp) and the discussions variously about amplification - particularly in the Susvara thread - have absolutely done my head in - me not being that into the gear and just wanting the convenience of an easy answer in such a subjective (and expensive) arena.

Also, I suspect that the Solitaire's will be easier to drive which may suit me initially.

So I'm posting this in both threads before I press the button.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #7,537 of 25,662

I'm going to be buying a pair of headphones - either the Hifiman Susvara or the T+A Solitaire P - shortly.

These will be driven initially by a 20 year old yamaha speaker amp or my chord polymojo (sacrilege in these parts I know but you've got to work with what you have).

My gut, after doing a lot of reading on head-fi, tells me to go for the Solitaire P because I understand the upgrade path (to the HA-200 headphone amp) and the discussions variously about amplification - particularly in the Susvara thread - have absolutely done my head in - me not being that into the gear and just wanting the convenience of an easy answer in such a subjective (and expensive) arena.

Also, I suspect that the Solitaire's will be easier to drive which may suit me initially.

Thanks
Welcome (soon)!

Go for the Abyss! :ksc75smile:

Joking... but am I? I am currently listening to the TC, and man ... does it rock... Anyway, as to Susvara vs. T+A. I have only heard the latter for a few minutes, so I don't know enough about that one. The Susvara is a solid choice imo, and will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #7,538 of 25,662

Thanks
I've never heard the Solitaire P, but it appears to be a well-crafted headphone. The review I just read mentions that its soundstage is not as large as the Susvara's, which would be a concern for me. A Yamaha speaker amp should provide the oomph you need to drive the Susvara, but either of those headphones would probably reward (future) upstream improvements. If you're placing a premium on portability, the Solitaire might be the choice, but if it's all about getting the best sonics, I'd say invest in the Susvara. FWIW.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #7,539 of 25,662

Thanks
Let me reply to that here, as there are simply more active people here.

I actually initially went for HA200 (as I was looking for an amp only) and then Solitaire P (and then P-SE). HA200 is a beast of a combo. Great DAC, super transparent amp with different features to tweak the sound (EQ, loudness, NOS mode if you are using something like HQPlayer, impedance) and multitude of inputs. I got it as a platform I can build on. But as I was buying it, I knew one thing: I am not going to buy the Susvara (too specific requirements and I am expecting more efficient drivers soon) and also not 1266 (similar thing, also too heavy). It does not have the juice to drive the Susvara to its full potential. Another thing is, its output impedance starts from 8 ohms, so no A18t (well, you can use the ifi adaptor) or EE Odin at 5 ohms.

But it is a terrific device and it makes me feel so lucky everytime I listen to music with it.

And then there is Solitaire P. It is a laid back mids HP but I have never in my life was able to listen to music for such long periods without getting my ears feeling scratched at the end of the day, and I was able to the same thing for days. Sound stage is realistic but not exaggerated. The bass, driven even from a portable device like R8 or DX300 is very satisfactory and out of HA200 it has the precision and speed of an e-stat. I sometimes put my DX300 in my pocket while I am doing some house work and I am very happy with being mobile. I last week also got the P-SE (which is now taken by my wife) which has some differences (refer to the Solitare P thread) which again, can be driven from most of the sources out there and sounds great.

But again, as I understand, Susvara has a more lively, maybe more colorful signature. If that is what you are looking for, then Solitaire P might not be for you. It is lively for me but I have seen people complain about the "easy going" mids.

My not so great Solitaire review with sound samples.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/t-a-solitaire-p.24843/reviews#review-25013

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #7,541 of 25,662

Thanks
I have the Susvaras and I ordered the Solitaire Ps (which keeps getting delayed... :deadhorse:).

On one hand, the Solitaire P might be the smart choice if you want something a little “easier.” On the other hand, the Susvaras could be a safer choice, as many people have those headphones, and they are regularly reviewed very positively. Not many people have the Solitaire Ps, so you really can’t make a “metacritic” type comparison between the different reviews.

Also, your equipment (or lack there of), greatly affects the Susvara’s sound quality, and I’m assuming the Solitaire Ps as well. I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but you will likely have to upgrade your dac, cables, and amp to get the Susvaras to a certain level of sound quality. That makes the Susvaras tricky. With the Solitaire P, you can just buy the T+A Ha200 or any number of other headphone amp/dacs. You have many more choices because they are easier to drive

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #7,542 of 25,662
personally I cant comment on the solitaire's because they are one of the few TOTL HP's I havent had a chance to sample....the only thing that might well push me in the direction of the susvara is that at this point it is discounted and will end up costing far less than the solitaire

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #7,544 of 25,662
Really happy I gave the Dekoni FSS a shot and let the build quality and comfort not get in the way. No way I am going back to OEM pads for now, they sound dull in comparison. Never imagined the Susvara would change this much. Some technical aspects: specifically imaging precision and micro detail in mids, is ever so slightly reduced. But Soundstage, transients, sub(bass), and upper mids presence region seem improved substantially, giving the Sus more fun/energetic character that reminds of my super fun Mest IEMs.

Your impressions align with mine perfectly. I have tried the other pads, but the FSS really bring the Susvara to another technical level, it seems. I also like your trick to fatten up the pads a bit. Let us know if you have any issues with that. Can't recommend those FSS pads enough...

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #7,545 of 25,662
TT2 owners....can the TT2 rear xlr's drive the susvara well enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back