HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #3,512 of 25,686
Apr 19, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #3,513 of 25,686
SO I checked and...

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 12.35.40 AM.png

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #3,514 of 25,686
I’m pretty sure the IFI Micro BL is more powerful than the Woo Topaz.
Interesting. I've lost touch of the iFI offerings. Just checking it out now. Does it do balanced?

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #3,516 of 25,686
HIFIMAN warrants this product to be free of defects in material or workmanship for a period of three years from the date of original retail purchase.

this is from the hifiman susvara manual

Does that mean the reported 1-year warranty is a kind of head-fi.org "urban legend"?

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #3,518 of 25,686
Apr 19, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #3,520 of 25,686
When it comes to detail quality of his products, it seems that Hifiman only has a sharp eye when it concerns the price policy of his headphones.
There are alternatives at or even beyond the Susvara level...

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,521 of 25,686
Well, having owned and adored the aryas for the best part of a year, I finally have a pair of Susvaras on the way alongside a Benchmark AHB2 and custom cable.

Im curious to see just how these headphones (and the aryas) change when given more power headroom from a speaker amp, I think the thx 789 and the AHB2 are about as fair a comparison between the two categories as can be.

Very excited!

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #3,522 of 25,686
Well, having owned and adored the aryas for the best part of a year, I finally have a pair of Susvaras on the way alongside a Benchmark AHB2 and custom cable.

Im curious to see just how these headphones (and the aryas) change when given more power headroom from a speaker amp, I think the thx 789 and the AHB2 are about as fair a comparison between the two categories as can be.

Very excited!

where did u buy the susvaras from? i also have aryas and want to pull the trigger on susvaras

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #3,523 of 25,686
where did u buy the susvaras from? i also have aryas and want to pull the trigger on susvaras
I got mine from amazon.

They arrived this morning and my first impressions are simply: WOW!
The detail retrieval on them is really something else, and the tonality I can best describe as what you'd get if you took the Aryas, improved the mids, and slightly reduced the treble. Ie: Absolutely spot on.

Currently running them off my 789 as the AHB2 has not arrived yet, and it can just about manage them on gain 3 with the pot cranked up, but clearly these do need more power than the 789 can provide to be run properly so I won't give any in-depth impressions just yet. (I also have not burned them in, which if you've had a pair of hifiman (especially HEK family) headphones before that were new you'll know just how much they can change over the first 40-50 hrs of use.)

Clearly the "You need a speaker amp" discussion is no joke. If you have a similarly powerful amp such as the HPA4 that can also accept higher input voltages than the 789 (which has a limit of 2.1vrms/8.6dBu on gain 3) then you're probably fine though. But I will of course give some impressions between the speaker amp and headphone amp once I've compared.

The box is lovely, the manual is a fantastic hard-cover book, and they also include a bag which whilst some may look at and either think "this feels pretty cheap compared to the price of this product" or never intend on using it, others will recognise it as a nod to the bag that came with the HE6 (its basically identical), so I quite liked it.

The only thing I really don't like so far is the cable, oh my god hifiman, I love your headphones so much, but the cable included with the susvara is arguably WORSE than the cables included with all of your other headphones.

The cable included with aryas for example is quite stiff for example, but certainly useable. The susvaras however, whilst the core material is a lovely silver plated copper, its then sleeved with a loose fitting almost 'medical tubing' style material, which also has ridged insides!. Why is this bad? Well...other than just feeling pretty cheap, there is a functional issue.

I noticed that as I turned my head I could hear a "Crinkling" or "Cracking" sound. I initially was worried this was a driver tensioning problem, and had seen that Currawong mentioned this in his review (he thought it was a lack of burn in), but as it turns out its not, its the ridged insides of the sleeving scraping loosely over the core material, like running a hair-comb against the edge of your desk.

The result being that when you move your head you get a nasty scraping/crinkling noise, which I'll solve by buying a custom cable.
The sound from these even before burn in and the amp arriving is really really fantastic, but I just had to mention that the cable situation is quite frankly abysmal
Will post a proper impression once i've had a chance to run them on the hardware these fantastic headphones deserve! Hopefully next week

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #3,525 of 25,686
I would encourage you and other Susvara owners to email Hifiman and complain, so they fix this cable issue for their $6000 headphone! :flushed:
Ha, I think this was brought up to them before and they said they are not in the cable business, but in the headphone business. The cable should be viewed as a supplied accessory to just get you going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back