HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 25, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #3,526 of 25,674
If it is a new one beware , my out of the box sounded horrible , in the sense far away worse that the one listened in demo in the shop ... It took over 100 hours to start playing like the susvara should do
I thought I got a knock off or something when I first listened to mine haha. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to experience this. Now I cant find another can that sounds anywhere near as good as these.

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,527 of 25,674
I thought I got a knock off or something when I first listened to mine haha. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to experience this. Now I cant find another can that sounds anywhere near as good as these.
This is quite common with hifiman I've found.
I had exactly the same experience with my aryas.

My susvaras have changed significantly even in the first 20hrs or so

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #3,528 of 25,674
My susvaras have changed significantly even in the first 20hrs or so

Yes, I was gonna say I started to notice a very good difference after about the 20 hour mark. Nice to know that it could get even better at the 100 hour mark.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #3,529 of 25,674
Good to know when i buy my susvara soon they will sound like crap right out of the box :relieved: :relieved: :relieved: :relieved:

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,530 of 25,674
Good to know when i buy my susvara soon they will sound like crap right out of the box :relieved: :relieved: :relieved: :relieved:
Unfortunately its part of the process with getting hifiman headphones, no idea why they don't do it at the factory because its not a subtle change at all or "Brain burn in" as such, its a VERY definite change in the sound of the headphone.

When I got my aryas I would describe them as sibilant out of the box. And was quite disappointed after reading such great things. Luckily a friend who also owned a pair suggested leaving them playing pink noise at a decent volume for 24-48 hrs. So I did just that, and then tried them and hoooly crap the difference. Warmer, fuller, smoother, detailed, just better in every way.

So far its been similar with the susvaras, though I'm only 24 hrs ish in.

Just play the file i've attached to this message on repeat at or slightly above a normal listening volume, and just let it run whenever you're not using them. Ideally for a day or two.
Once that's done they'll be much much nicer.

I found that there were subtle changes upto and perhaps after the 100 hrs mark, but nothing major. The first 40-50 hrs was where the real differences were

Attachments

• pinknoise.zip
    829.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 25, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,531 of 25,674
Unfortunately its part of the process with getting hifiman headphones, no idea why they don't do it at the factory because its not a subtle change at all or "Brain burn in" as such, its a VERY definite change in the sound of the headphone.

When I got my aryas I would describe them as sibilant out of the box. And was quite disappointed after reading such great things. Luckily a friend who also owned a pair suggested leaving them playing pink noise at a decent volume for 24-48 hrs. So I did just that, and then tried them and hoooly crap the difference. Warmer, fuller, smoother, detailed, just better in every way.

So far its been similar with the susvaras, though I'm only 24 hrs ish in.

Just play the file i've attached to this message on repeat at or slightly above a normal listening volume, and just let it run whenever you're not using them. Ideally for a day or two.
Once that's done they'll be much much nicer.

I found that there were subtle changes upto and perhaps after the 100 hrs mark, but nothing major. The first 40-50 hrs was where the real differences were

Was the same with my aryas. I let them burn in for 200 hours

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #3,532 of 25,674
Apr 27, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #3,534 of 25,674
So I've been running the susvara out of the HPA4 and I can definitely say that this amp is not enough for the Susvara. Using a balanced source and max gain, I still cannot get sufficient volume for some classical pieces at 0db. Anything above that begins to clip.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3,535 of 25,674
So I've been running the susvara out of the HPA4 and I can definitely say that this amp is not enough for the Susvara. Using a balanced source and max gain, I still cannot get sufficient volume for some classical pieces at 0db. Anything above that begins to clip.

Which DAC? I think HPA4 needs pretty high output from the DAC to work with Susvara, probably at least 6Vrms?

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #3,536 of 25,674
Which DAC? I think HPA4 needs pretty high output from the DAC to work with Susvara, probably at least 6Vrms?

Matrix Sabre X Pro, out put is 4.4 vrms so that might be the issue. At any rate, most DAC's that I've seen have a balanced out of about 4vrms anyways so it seems like this amp would not be a great pairing for most DAC's out there then.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,537 of 25,674
Matrix Sabre X Pro, out put is 4.4 vrms so that might be the issue. At any rate, most DAC's that I've seen have a balanced out of about 4vrms anyways so it seems like this amp would not be a great pairing for most DAC's out there then.

Yes indeed it's an important consideration for this pairing. One reason I chose the DAC3 is because of the high output voltage.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,538 of 25,674
I just placed my order for the susvara this weekend. My chain is as follow... Bifrost 2 xlr to iCan pro xlr.

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #3,539 of 25,674

There is something wrong with your DAC. I can play 192kps or DSD with my DAVE/HPA4 setup and the setup is amazing. Make sure you turn up the Volume Setup to +10dB (in Input Setup).

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #3,540 of 25,674
There is something wrong with your DAC. I can play 192kps or DSD with my DAVE/HPA4 setup and the setup is amazing. Make sure you turn up the Volume Setup to +10dB (in Input Setup).

Nothing wrong with my DAC. As stated before, 6vrms output on a DAC is apparently an important consideration. DAVE is also a 6vrms output while the Sabre is 4. I listen to music a bit louder than most people and I am running the volume set up boost to +10db. It's not like the volumes I am getting are unlistenable, I just can't get it as loud as I want sometimes without it clipping. I suppose this just isn't the amp for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back