HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #23,371 of 25,899
closest I've heard to that combo is the Tungsten. I'd still rank Susvara as the better headphone, but Tungsten is definitely a lot of fun and with meatier/fuller low end while still resembling the tonality of Sus..
Nice. I'm still waiting on my Tungsten. I ordered it Nov 3rd, so hopefully it'll be here soon

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #23,372 of 25,899
exactly, the bass of the TC on the susvara would ruin the balance of the HP...we already have the Tc if that level of bass is what you are after...the susvara is an entirely different listening experience and is why many people with the means own both to enjoy both presentations....my SR1-a is relatively bass light but that is part of the charm of the presentation for me..

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #23,373 of 25,899
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #23,374 of 25,899
exactly, the bass of the TC on the susvara would ruin the balance of the HP...we already have the Tc if that level of bass is what you are after...the susvara is an entirely different listening experience and is why many people with the means own both to enjoy both presentations....my SR1-a is relatively bass light but that is part of the charm of the presentation for me..
I dunno, it would give us a bass alternative to the TCs, which would be nice (the only thing close right now is the th900mk2, though I haven't heard the Tungston yet). I'm sure it takes something away, but it's hard to tell without a more long term mod (other than just using your hands). The clamp force on the Sus is too much for a mod properly I'd guess, but still, it would be cool.
I am not familiar with tungstun
It's this new sorta-DIY headphone made by Modhouse. I have low expectations, but you never know.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mod...headphones-impressions-and-discussion.968835/

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #23,375 of 25,899
Any other suggestions for bringing out more bass and mids for the Susvara with my chain? I’m using Forza audioworks Claire hybrid copper silver cable. Willing to try a tube amp such as WA33 SE but EE is out of my budget. Could upgrade SE eventually though
Get a Lokius and perhaps ZMF Auteur Hybrid pads. Likely cheaper than esoteric cables, and they actually influence frequency response.

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #23,376 of 25,899
What I like about Susvara is that it can potentially hit hard like a freight train and that hit instantly disappear into the void similar to Focal Utopia, but without the soft landing planar sensation on some systems, and at the same time portray this subterranean subbass lingering presence that so seductive. It's one of those Susvara treasures that's hard to achieve without going TOTL on your chain.

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #23,377 of 25,899
It's one of those Susvara treasures that's hard to achieve without going TOTL on your chain.

That is so true. They can sound pretty underwhelming if you don’t have a good chain. I‘ve definitely be there myself.

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #23,378 of 25,899
the Ifi will drive the susvara fine in terms of volume etc but sadly to get the best out of the susvara which is IMHO the pickiest HP regarding amps you likely have to move up the chain...I had the ifi model prior to the signature and power wise it drove the susvara but it wasnt satisfying to my ears
Echo this thought exactly. Bought Sus. Then bought used Ifi iCan Signature to drive 'em. It worked .. , but I could tell Susvara simply wanted more power. On to AHB2, using the iCan as pre-amp. Much better outcome.

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #23,379 of 25,899
if i were to buy a susvara, then i would be pairing it with the burson cv2+ for the time being. it should output around 2w into the susvara.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #23,380 of 25,899
I dunno, it would give us a bass alternative to the TCs, which would be nice (the only thing close right now is the th900mk2, though I haven't heard the Tungston yet). I'm sure it takes something away, but it's hard to tell without a more long term mod (other than just using your hands). The clamp force on the Sus is too much for a mod properly I'd guess, but still, it would be cool.

It's this new sorta-DIY headphone made by Modhouse. I have low expectations, but you never know.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mod...headphones-impressions-and-discussion.968835/
the modhouse tungsten looks like an even more challenging headphone to drive adequately than the susvara on paper

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #23,381 of 25,899
the modhouse tungsten looks like an even more challenging headphone to drive adequately than the susvara on paper

It's easier on tubes than SS due to its high impedance. A beefy OTL will easily drive the Tungsten

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #23,382 of 25,899
So they say. I'll try it on both my WA33 EE JPS and CFA3. Like I said, I have low expectations. I expect it to be mediocre, but I still wanna give it a shot. After all, you never know. The wait time on these things is substantial though. I guess the guy 3D prints every headphone by himself or something.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #23,383 of 25,899
Then bought used Ifi iCan Signature to drive 'em. It worked .. , but I could tell Susvara simply wanted more power. On to AHB2, using the iCan as pre-amp. Much better outcome.
Hoping this works using Burson 3XGT as a pre-amp as well- 3XGT is -almost- there on its own. Bass is good but I feel there sure is more. Had a look at the Bryston 2.5B cubed speaker amp today too. Definitely going on my short list (especially tempting if a used one comes available on the Classified with that long warranty).

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #23,384 of 25,899
Anyone hear the Susvara on a Holo Bliss KTE and WA33 SE? Just wondering if switching from the Bliss to WA33 will get more bass and mids out of the Susvara
Hard to test at CanJams due to the time in between going from one to the other. That said, I felt the Zahl HM-1 sounded best and I also really liked the Bliss and WA33. I am going with the Bliss though as awfully good and way less $. I also decided to stay with the full Holo stack.

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #23,385 of 25,899
Anyone hear the Susvara on a Holo Bliss KTE and WA33 SE? Just wondering if switching from the Bliss to WA33 will get more bass and mids out of the Susvara
Yes. I loved the Susvara on the Bliss and thought that the regular WA33 was not that great even as it was the GOAT for the 1266TC. I hear the WA33 Elite is better with Sus.

That said, I recently bought a Riviera A1C-10 and it is by far the best pairing for Susvara that I have ever heard. I liked it more than the Senn HE-1. It really improves the bass quality of Sus and any other headphone I have paired with it. I would check out that set up, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back