HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #23,356 of 26,378
Anyone hear the Susvara on a Holo Bliss KTE and WA33 SE? Just wondering if switching from the Bliss to WA33 will get more bass and mids out of the Susvara

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #23,357 of 26,378
Can you explain? I don't know what you mean. Bottleneck how?

It can drive it, but how well. Depending on your listening levels, you could hit the limits of the amp.

As I understand, the 14,000mW spec with the iFi is peak performance and not continuous. I’m also not sure what that translates to for the rated performance at 60 ohms, since the 14,000mW is at 16ohms, but it is probably going to be significantly less.

That said, there is really only one way to know for sure, though, which is to give it a try. It might be just enough for you. I just know how finicky the Susvara can be when it comes to chains and want to manage expectations, since you had also asked, if you will be happy with the pairing.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #23,358 of 26,378
Anyone hear the Susvara on a Holo Bliss KTE and WA33 SE? Just wondering if switching from the Bliss to WA33 will get more bass and mids out of the Susvara
I've never heard the Bliss, but I didn't like the Sus out of the WA33 SE when I had it. Now, I like it off my WA33 EE, but it has different transformers.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #23,359 of 26,378
the Ifi will drive the susvara fine in terms of volume etc but sadly to get the best out of the susvara which is IMHO the pickiest HP regarding amps you likely have to move up the chain...I had the ifi model prior to the signature and power wise it drove the susvara but it wasnt satisfying to my ears...as I have driven myself crazy climbing the ladder of amps the susvara has just gotten better and better...my CFA3 is outstanding with the susvara and my recently acquired Felks envy with upgraded tubes is even better...there is no wrong or right but the amp will have an enormous influence on how much you can appreciate just how great the susvara is

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #23,360 of 26,378
I didn't really like the Envy with the Sus when I heard it at Can Jam. The rest of the chain mighta been off though (and of course show room condition). I like it off my CFA3, but it wasn't as good as I hoped it to be. I'm even using a 300B pre. The Sus is the pickiest of headphones. The CFA3 gives a tiny bit more bass than my WA33 EE, but the WA33 EE has a more 3D sound. I even like my Sus off my modded SJ DAVE straight. You can't really drive the Sus to it's potential off a standard DAVE of course, but with a LPS, you can. It's very clean, but lacking that "something" a tube amp provides.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #23,361 of 26,378
Totally expected with your Envy experience. No WE 300B or Elrog 300B with the curated input tube that goes well with the upstream chain and to those two specific 300B tubes = poor sound with the Susvara and even Mjolnir 3 will beat it unless you have those curated tubes that wakes the hidden treasures of Susvara

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #23,362 of 26,378
the WE300b definitely makes a big difference as I have found out that said it is so difficult to ever ascertain anything at the shows...I love the susvara with my CFA3 but I find the envy with upgraded tubes a fair bit better..at least for the moment we all know it is a moving target

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #23,363 of 26,378
the WE300b definitely makes a big difference as I have found out that said it is so difficult to ever ascertain anything at the shows...
To be honest, I thought the Sus sounded terrible out of the Envy. Their chain must have been fukced up, or maybe the Envy just isn't for me. I'd like to hear it again in a quiet environment with good tubes

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #23,364 of 26,378
Somebody needs to make a mod where the headphone cups can be placed outside of your ears, like the TCs. I pull the Sus apart from my head, and I'm getting TC bass.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #23,365 of 26,378
Any other suggestions for bringing out more bass and mids for the Susvara with my chain? I’m using Forza audioworks Claire hybrid copper silver cable. Willing to try a tube amp such as WA33 SE but EE is out of my budget. Could upgrade SE eventually though

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #23,366 of 26,378
Any other suggestions for bringing out more bass and mids for the Susvara with my chain? I’m using Forza audioworks Claire hybrid copper silver cable. Willing to try a tube amp such as WA33 SE but EE is out of my budget. Could upgrade SE eventually though
CFA3 is the clear winner here. It's like $3700 from a builder. It's good; like 70% of the Wa33 ee, but for a fraction of the cost. It's worth looking into

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #23,367 of 26,378
To be honest, I thought the Sus sounded terrible out of the Envy. Their chain must have been fukced up, or maybe the Envy just isn't for me. I'd like to hear it again in a quiet environment with good tubes
I think you and I have dramatically different tastes in the music we listen to as well as HP's...I do not listen to any rap or Hip Hop or any heavy bass music...I tend to listen to jazz, blues, lots of acoustic music and classic rock...different strokes,but I do enjoy your thoughts

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #23,368 of 26,378
Somebody needs to make a mod where the headphone cups can be placed outside of your ears, like the TCs. I pull the Sus apart from my head, and I'm getting TC bass.
to be honest I think the susvara with TC bass would ruin the HP...the susvara is a well balanced HP with plenty of bass at least for me...perhaps a ported pad could be created like abyss did for the diana TC but again I wouldnt want my susvara to have TC bass

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #23,369 of 26,378
closest I've heard to that combo is the Tungsten. I'd still rank Susvara as the better headphone, but Tungsten is definitely a lot of fun and with meatier/fuller low end while still resembling the tonality of Sus..

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #23,370 of 26,378
I agree. I love the balance of the Susvara‘s bass to the rest of the frequency response. It hits hard, but is not bloated. It digs deep without excessively pressurizing. It strikes a very nice balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back