HiFiMan Susvara
May 9, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #21,151 of 26,179
As a chef, you can tell someone the best way to eat steak is with no seasoning or fixings so they can enjoy the purity and freshness of the meat, but if someone wants salt, pepper, gravy, garlic mash, butter, A1, ketchup you're probably not going to stop them.
As long as he doesn't order well done, that is.

May 9, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #21,152 of 26,179
As a chef, you can tell someone the best way to eat steak is with no seasoning or fixings so they can enjoy the purity and freshness of the meat, but if someone wants salt, pepper, gravy, garlic mash, butter, A1, ketchup you're probably not going to stop them.
But doesn’t a good original recording already have salt, pepper, etc. baked in, and would a faithful reproduction thereof not the be the preferred way to go? :)

May 9, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #21,153 of 26,179
But doesn’t a good original recording already have salt, pepper, etc. baked in, and would a faithful reproduction thereof not the be the preferred way to go?
most recordings are mastered to sound good on base model car speakers. There is nothing wrong with having flavor prefrences

May 9, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #21,154 of 26,179
But doesn’t a good original recording already have salt, pepper, etc. baked in, and would a faithful reproduction thereof not the be the preferred way to go? :)
The as the artist intended argument is totally bogus, we have no idea what it sounded like when the studio, if we cared, we'd all buy studio monitors and studio gear to drive them, (been there done that, and there is some not good sounding studio gear out there).

There isn't a right way to listen.

How do we even know what neutral sounds like, if I call the chord sound clinical instead of neutral, it portrays it in a different light.
Now I happen to like the Dave, though it's not my endgame preference, it doesn't even compete on resolution and other technicalities with a lot of higher end gear.

If someone wants a little more midrange warmth, why does anyone care, I prefer my reproduction on the dryer side, but I can appreciate someone wanting something different. There are people who like the sound of a Focal Clear on tube amps I've owned, that to me lose all semblance of bass control and I think destroy what the Clears do well, but I'm very much in the you do you camp.

May 9, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #21,155 of 26,179
Perhaps my comment’s focus wasn’t sufficiently on what @VintageAudio appeared to imply, which is that every recording basically has a plain sound that *requires* flavoring, which I think is not true. There definitely are recordings that have warmth, brightness, bassiness, etc, already baked in to a degree, so they are - at least to a certain degree - as intended by the artist. Both @eskamobob1 and @Polygonhell are right in that you can still add coloring to your taste, but to imply that neutral is implicitly dry and/or dull is wrong imo. :relaxed:

May 9, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #21,156 of 26,179
Perhaps my comment’s focus wasn’t sufficiently on what @VintageAudio appeared to imply, which is that every recording basically has a plain sound that *requires* flavoring, which I think is not true. There definitely are recordings that have warmth, brightness, bassiness, etc, already baked in to a degree, so they are - at least to a certain degree - as intended by the artist. Both @eskamobob1 and @Polygonhell are right in that you can still add coloring to your taste, but to imply that neutral is implicitly dry and/or dull is wrong imo. :relaxed:

The implication wasn't that neutral is dry and boring, but that the specific chain being talked about is dry neutral and that many find that a boring sound. Frankly, for my personal preference, I find more music that I don't enjoy on a truly neutral chain than I find that I do.

May 9, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #21,158 of 26,179
but to imply that neutral is implicitly dry and/or dull is wrong imo
I called the combination of Dave with WA33 dry and neutral and I stand behind that according to my experience and how I perceive what I heard.
You would look at most chains I owned (including btw a WA33) and they weren't the warmest or meatiest systems at all. I also prefer most times leaner presentations because of the type of music I listen to. Which leads to a second point - I don't even have the same preference for everything I listen to so for me there isn't even one correct tuning for everything.

For me that's also a big part of the hobby - figuring out what I like and what to use to emphasize my enjoyment. It's a hobby and we're here to have fun and express subjective opinions about experiences listening to our favorite music and we each enjoy it differently (which was also in my original comment).

Happy listening everyone. Susvara is definitely one of the better ways to get to the top of listening experiences possible.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #21,159 of 26,179
I see a small handful of reports of folks using vintage tube amps on here, but wondering if there's any prevailing opinion about their suitability with the Sus. I'm thinking 60s, 70s here. Classic designs. Perhaps too noisy?

May 9, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #21,160 of 26,179
I called the combination of Dave with WA33 dry and neutral and I stand behind that according to my experience and how I perceive what I heard.
You would look at most chains I owned (including btw a WA33) and they weren't the warmest or meatiest systems at all. I also prefer most times leaner presentations because of the type of music I listen to. Which leads to a second point - I don't even have the same preference for everything I listen to so for me there isn't even one correct tuning for everything.

For me that's also a big part of the hobby - figuring out what I like and what to use to emphasize my enjoyment. It's a hobby and we're here to have fun and express subjective opinions about experiences listening to our favorite music and we each enjoy it differently (which was also in my original comment).

Happy listening everyone. Susvara is definitely one of the better ways to get to the top of listening experiences possible.
I have the dave/blu2 combo and at the moment use it with the CFA3 and I find it hard to believe that a tube amp like the WA33 would be dry...neutral is what I think most strive for IMHO...I know I do

May 9, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #21,161 of 26,179
Hpa4 doesn't fully drive sus unfortunately
I just compared the Sus to the HE1000SE on the Liberty THX AAA™ Headphone AMP. The HEK sounded much better, the Sus were 1) too bright; 2) clear and unpleasant clouding of textures into an unpleasant blob; 3) the HEK had huge fast bass, better than the Sus.

So the Mytek can't drive the Sus either...I realized I can't use the AHB2 b/c I need RCA inputs.

Simonel

Attachments

• HiFiMan trinity.jpg
    HiFiMan trinity.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #21,162 of 26,179
Hpa4 doesn't fully drive sus unfortunately
I just compared the Sus to the HE1000SE on the Liberty THX AAA™ Headphone AMP. The HEK sounded much better, the Sus were 1) too bright; 2) clear and unpleasant clouding of textures into an unpleasant blob; 3) the HEK had huge fast bass, better than the Sus.

So the Mytek can't drive the Sus either...I realized I can't use the AHB2 b/c I need RCA inputs.

Simonel

Attachments

• HiFiMan trinity.jpg
    HiFiMan trinity.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #21,163 of 26,179

As someone who has owned the He1000se before moving on to Susvara, that's not my experience though. On the contrary, the He1000se sounded brighter with more piercing treble.

May 9, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #21,164 of 26,179

Simonel
Having owned the HEKse and now the Susvara, there is no way on God's green Earth that the Susvara is brighter. Quite the opposite actually. The Susvara is actually a very polite sounding headphone. The HEKse is definitely, DEFINITELY brighter.

May 9, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #21,165 of 26,179
Also, I don't know what's with this "Blob" You are experiencing. The Susvara is an incredibly accurate and natural and detailed sounding headphone. I don't know what you mean by blob. It sounds like you have no clue what you're talking about, with all due respect. Regarding the bass, The HEKse has a more bloaty, rounded bass in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back