HiFiMan Susvara
May 6, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #21,121 of 25,846
Hi! I assume the answer is no, but is there anything I can do to solve this kind of wearing besides changing the whole headband?

Attachments

• IMG_9789.jpeg
    IMG_9789.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
May 6, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #21,122 of 25,846
Hi! I assume the answer is no, but is there anything I can do to solve this kind of wearing besides changing the whole headband?

For perfect, it is replacing the head band, which is complicated I think in looking at googled images.

If you want to improve things you might take them to an auto parts or auto paint store and have them mix you a touch up paint. It wont be perfect. but it will be a LOT better.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #21,126 of 25,846
true and the same can be said of the abyss TC which I also own....that said nobody needs to spend 8K for an amp for the susvara much less 15k....truth is suggesting that they do simply keeps many people from looking into the susvara or ultimately buying one

Today I brought home an original class A 300B tube speaker amp which has been customized to include a headphone output with plenty of power for the Susvara. I didn’t spend much for it and it’s the best I’ve heard a Susvara.

Once upon a time there was a tube amp manufacturer called Leo Research and the company was more active in the 2-channel scene decades ago. The designer (an HK national named Mr Lau) has since retired here in Singapore. From having a large factory in his younger days, he now manages a quaint audio shop and provides tube amp repair/modification as his small business/hobby. I asked if he sells a 300b amp that has enough power for my Susvara and also drive speakers. He instead showed his 8W 300b power amp of his own original design and offered to modify it to include a headphone out. He messaged me a few days later asking me to come by his shop with my headphones to test his new handiwork. I bought it right away.

It sounds amazing with both my ZMFs and Susvara. He also tweaked it so that it performs optimally with this NGG Guiguang 300b tubes which are not very popular (nor expensive) but sound fantastic.

It’s a treat to those who are in Singapore (or have a chance to visit) to meet and chat with this master at his shop. He is fun and humbling to talk to, and it’s an honor to own an amp he personally designed and modified. It’s a desktop sized speaker amp (that transformed to also a headphone amp) that uses a pair of 300b and 6sn7 tubes, similar to the Feliks Envy but at 1/6 of the price.

IMG_0767.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0769.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #21,127 of 25,846
Hi all,

I have now purchased a KCES S300 for power duties and am adding a Topping Pre-90 as a pre-amp. I might also A/B my existing Primare Pre 30 and see how well it performs. I read about this amp in the "Ultimate Susvara review" Where Sandu places it third versus the ABH2 dual and singular setup. A small step above the Volot (which I was going to be my purchase, but the KCES was significantly cheaper second hand). Has anyone else tested the KCES S300 with susvara? What Pre did you use with it, how well did it all work?

I'll be using a Gustard R26 DAC (R2R) Via LAN.

May 7, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #21,128 of 25,846
Today I brought home an original class A 300B tube speaker amp which has been customized to include a headphone output with plenty of power for the Susvara. I didn’t spend much for it and it’s the best I’ve heard a Susvara.

Once upon a time there was a tube amp manufacturer called Leo Research and the company was more active in the 2-channel scene decades ago. The designer (an HK national named Mr Lau) has since retired here in Singapore. From having a large factory in his younger days, he now manages a quaint audio shop and provides tube amp repair/modification as his small business/hobby. I asked if he sells a 300b amp that has enough power for my Susvara and also drive speakers. He instead showed his 8W 300b power amp of his own original design and offered to modify it to include a headphone out. He messaged me a few days later asking me to come by his shop with my headphones to test his new handiwork. I bought it right away.

It sounds amazing with both my ZMFs and Susvara. He also tweaked it so that it performs optimally with this NGG Guiguang 300b tubes which are not very popular (nor expensive) but sound fantastic.

It’s a treat to those who are in Singapore (or have a chance to visit) to meet and chat with this master at his shop. He is fun and humbling to talk to, and it’s an honor to own an amp he personally designed and modified. It’s a desktop sized speaker amp (that transformed to also a headphone amp) that uses a pair of 300b and 6sn7 tubes, similar to the Feliks Envy but at 1/6 of the price.

IMG_0767.jpeg
IMG_0759.jpeg
IMG_0769.jpeg
That's a sweet amp! Nice.

May 7, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #21,130 of 25,846
May 7, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #21,131 of 25,846
I too have heard a 300b amp, a sonic frontiers assemblage with various headphones. Do keep in mind that 8 watts at 16 ohms is a lot less into 64… but it does sound sweet. I used it with the 1000se, and it worked well enough. It would be more ideal if custom transformers could be wound such that the impedance matches, though. That’s basically what Woo Audio does.

May 8, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #21,132 of 25,846
here ya go!

IMG_0777.jpeg
Thanks , I remember his strange little shop now. Talking Susvara and tube amping the best ones I have heard was not as his place but at the Adelphi where I was most impressed by the big WOO Audio amp.I can't exactly remember if it was WA 23 or 33? and DAVE Mscaler with some of my reference files where I know how things sounded live in the hall at recording sessions. Dave/Mscaler alone sounded stressed compared to the effortless very transparent SQ WOO audio amping provided even during very loud and busy symphonic music climaxes.
But I settled for a much cheaper and travel friendly combo than Susvara Woo Audio and Dave .
Qutest /Mscaler and HEKV2 or Sennheiser HD800 and a Benchmark headphone amp saved me both a LOT of money and size /weight, without compromising too much on SQ.
Cheers Christer

May 8, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #21,133 of 25,846
Thanks , I remember his strange little shop now. Talking Susvara and tube amping the best ones I have heard was not as his place but at the Adelphi where I was most impressed by the big WOO Audio amp.I can't exactly remember if it was WA 23 or 33? and DAVE Mscaler with some of my reference files where I know how things sounded live in the hall at recording sessions. Dave/Mscaler alone sounded stressed compared to the effortless very transparent SQ WOO audio amping provided even during very loud and busy symphonic music climaxes.
But I settled for a much cheaper and travel friendly combo than Susvara Woo Audio and Dave .
Qutest /Mscaler and HEKV2 or Sennheiser HD800 and a Benchmark headphone amp saved me both a LOT of money and size /weight, without compromising too much on SQ.
Cheers Christer
You clearly like very neutral dry and super detailed sound. I absolutely hated Susvara on Dave/Mscaler with WA33. Goes to show how subjective this hobby is.

May 8, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #21,134 of 25,846
You clearly like very neutral dry and super detailed sound. I absolutely hated Susvara on Dave/Mscaler with WA33. Goes to show how subjective this hobby is.

I always thought I'd hate it, and ended up really liking it when I owned it.
There is a fair amount up from there on the DAC front IMO, but there was a surprising synergy for me between the Dave and the WA33.
But if your looking for a lot of warmth, it certainly isn't that combo, and at these levels there really is a strong amount of preference involved.

May 9, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #21,135 of 25,846
I always thought I'd hate it, and ended up really liking it when I owned it.
There is a fair amount up from there on the DAC front IMO, but there was a surprising synergy for me between the Dave and the WA33.
But if your looking for a lot of warmth, it certainly isn't that combo, and at these levels there really is a strong amount of preference involved.
Not to mention that I at times I thought I needed to roll DACs to get a sound signature i preferred, but turns out a bit of tube rolling was all that I needed. The permutations are infinite in this hobby it drives me crazy sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back