HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 25, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #18,481 of 26,378
I have the Focal Clear and HD800. I'm thinking because the vocals are so much clearer/brought forward that it makes the bass seem less, even though there might be the same amount. The remaining part for me to figure out is if a much more exp amp will be worth it and boost the bass/warmth noticeably. Since I believe ultimately it's the combination of everything that determines listening pleasure and not technical supremacy alone.
I'd consider HD800 to be significantly brighter and lighter in the bass than Susvara.

Honestly, sometimes just a warmer sounding aftermarket cable will do the job. I use solid state amps and no EQ, and right now my Susvara leans heavily to the warm side of things.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #18,482 of 26,378

This could be fun to play with it in foobar(if it doesn not crash all the time)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #18,483 of 26,378
Out of curiosity, are these types of attributes listed in an amps spec sheet? Can I easily see, for instance, the current output of a given amplifier, and if so, what would be considered a good amount?

It seems like the attributes you mentioned should be listed somewhere as Im assuming they’re measurable.
They should be (at least as a range based on loudness (dBA) across the complete low to high sound frequencies but often not all of the important design and performance parameters are all are listed. Also the same goes for headphone specifications in order to successfully match with the amplifier they are being connected to in order to get the best performance from them.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #18,484 of 26,378
AryaV2 and Susvara has a very bright side, I think it is a HiFiMAN character. Thats why Tube/Saturation is a popular compliment. I wont go that route because I like tuning the sound from the source/player. I rather find a good DSP solution than being tied to a tubeamp. Not every song sounds good on tube.
I must be getting old because to my ears, Hifiman wouldn't be considered on the bright side of audio reproduction. Beyer and some AKG take that spot handily, to my ears, of course.

On that note, might you consider a tube pre-amp or hybrid amp instead of pure solid state or pure tubes?

Oct 25, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #18,485 of 26,378
If my Susvara headphone does not sound much better with the Cayin HA300MK2 tube amplifier that I have recently ordered, then I will give up on using the Susvara headphone. I definitely think that I have progressively gravitated towards preferring a warmer sound.

I've been using the Susvara with the HA-300 mk1 for the past few years, off and on, and do like what it has to offer.

Coming from solid state and with the concerns you raised, IMO you'll want to optimize the HA-300 for bass extension, tonal density, and dynamics.

A few ideas that come to mind (which you may already have opinions about, but I'll list them here for the record :) )
  • Ken Rad 6SN7's, which of course is well known for their bass qualities, and less bright than many of the other usual suspects.
  • 300B - I like KR's a lot, which are also known for their bass, and have a dynamic, modern sound. No doubt Elrogs would do great here as well for the same reasons (as every 3rd or 4th post on Head-Fi these days will attest to, haha). Takatsukis with the Susvara are a no-go (IMO).
  • GE rectifiers - These seem to be fairly obtainable, and definitely have a deeper, denser sound than the stock RCAs.
  • The power cable makes a big difference with the HA-300, I think. I was super-impressed going from an inexpensive Wireworld cable to a Furutech DPS-4.1. Really free and dynamic-sounding.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #18,486 of 26,378
I've been using the Susvara with the HA-300 mk1 for the past few years, off and on, and do like what it has to offer.

Coming from solid state and with the concerns you raised, IMO you'll want to optimize the HA-300 for bass extension, tonal density, and dynamics.

A few ideas that come to mind (which you may already have opinions about, but I'll list them here for the record :) )
  • Ken Rad 6SN7's, which of course is well known for their bass qualities, and less bright than many of the other usual suspects.
  • 300B - I like KR's a lot, which are also known for their bass, and have a dynamic, modern sound. No doubt Elrogs would do great here as well for the same reasons (as every 3rd or 4th post on Head-Fi these days will attest to, haha). Takatsukis with the Susvara are a no-go (IMO).
  • GE rectifiers - These seem to be fairly obtainable, and definitely have a deeper, denser sound than the stock RCAs.
  • The power cable makes a big difference with the HA-300, I think. I was super-impressed going from an inexpensive Wireworld cable to a Furutech DPS-4.1. Really free and dynamic-sounding.
Elrog baby!

No really, this post is the solution. Go 300B. Add MELZ 1578 to the 6SN7.

The other solution to Suvara is the 1266. Soyyyyyy.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #18,487 of 26,378
I've reverted from a hybrid amp back to a solid-state preamp and solid-state amp (as per my signature) to get the best bass and the blackest background possible with Susvara. No more tubes for me until I can afford a completely silent tube preamp, if such a thing exists. Any level of tube noise takes me out of the music.

In the meantime, I'm using some gentle digital EQ with my setup and I feel pretty satisfied at the moment. I've given up on the Schiit Loki Max to do the job. Analog EQ is too much of a blunt instrument.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #18,488 of 26,378
I've reverted from a hybrid amp back to a solid-state preamp and solid-state amp (as per my signature) to get the best bass and the blackest background possible with Susvara. No more tubes for me until I can afford a completely silent tube preamp, if such a thing exists. Any level of tube noise takes me out of the music.

In the meantime, I'm using some gentle digital EQ with my setup and I feel pretty satisfied at the moment. I've given up on the Schiit Loki Max to do the job. Analog EQ is too much of a blunt instrument.
For tubes and hybrid, to my ears, the Pathos InPol Ear, Mogwai SE and Studio Six all have black background while still delivering bass as necessary to the Susvara.

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #18,489 of 26,378
For tubes and hybrid, to my ears, the Pathos InPol Ear, Mogwai SE and Studio Six all have black background while still delivering bass as necessary to the Susvara.
Yes, agree the Pathos InPol Ear is dead silent through the Susvaras (I used the XLR headphone output connection) with no tube noise and to my ears sounds very good with the Susvara with a quality source input (I used the DAVE & M Scaler).

The Hifiman EF1000 is also dead silent through the Susvaras (for both 1/4" jack and XLR headphone output connections) with no tube noise at all.

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #18,490 of 26,378
I have owned the Susvara for 3 years and it was therefore my reference point when I subsequently purchased a Meze Empyrean ~2 years ago. I temporarily used the Meze Empyrean but it was too thick/warm and I now own the Meze Empy Elite, which has the best overall musical tone/timbre in my audio system.

Jeff.

OK, now I get the full context, wasn't aware you had the Sus for that long. Enjoy your Meze Empys Elite then :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #18,491 of 26,378
Received my new phono stage today to replace my Rega Aura...... Enter the CH Precision P1;

sfVuiskWS4CHSb24CQ7bsg.jpg CiHUnLXhQlGggLWPZnJqSw.jpgbqtQmR1LQBKCq1LsWIRcHw.jpg

Have it set up for my My Sonic Lab Eminent Ex cartridge connected to the MC1 current / trans-impedance input.

Currently connected to my EF1000 via RCAs. Will try XLR balanced later.

All I can say is my analogue source is now awesome; Kuzma XL DC TT & 4Point 11" Tonearm with MSL Eminent Ex Cartridge connected to CH Precision P1 !

kvjhymFlRXq%BarJr0jfFg.jpg

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #18,492 of 26,378
Yeah I do plan to try the Nirvana with the Susvara. Have ordered a DHC Prion 4 for the Susvara. Going by user reviews these two cables are the most frequently recommended for the Sus, although I usually see the DHC Prion 4 being recommended more often. I am told that the Prion 4 preserves what’s right about the Susvara, enhances a bit of its technical performance and makes it slightly more forward, while the Nirvana makes it more “fun”? Some of these impressions are from M0N over at sonus apparatus.

My friend Sumeet also has both. Might buy the Nirvana off him.
What’s the verdict on this comparison?

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #18,493 of 26,378
I must be getting old because to my ears, Hifiman wouldn't be considered on the bright side of audio reproduction. Beyer and some AKG take that spot handily, to my ears, of course.

On that note, might you consider a tube pre-amp or hybrid amp instead of pure solid state or pure tubes?
Naah like I said I don´t wanna waste my money on a single amp and be stuck with it. I tried different saturation plugins, which thickens the audio abit, and thats the tune I like, the lowend sounds so much better on a tape maschine effect = warmer sound.

People should try this instead of wasting alot of money on a tube amp, alot cheaper solution(alot) and imo better sound.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #18,494 of 26,378
Naah like I said I don´t wanna waste my money on a single amp and be stuck with it. I tried different saturation plugins, which thickens the audio abit, and thats the tune I like, the lowend sounds so much better on a tape maschine effect = warmer sound.

People should try this instead of wasting alot of money on a tube amp, alot cheaper solution(alot) and imo better sound.
People who likes the tube amps with their susvara/stealth... 👇

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #18,495 of 26,378
People who likes the tube amps with their susvara/stealth... 👇

OMG! that will sound amazing on my bass guitar!! ... reminds me of motown hits 🤣

On a serious note I don´t think tubes have any high fidelity. First it makes limitations to the sound with distortion and lower resolution, and then the soundstage lacks behind.

Im telling yall. Get you some tapes not tubes! try the free plugins! Softube is amazing!
-I am experimenting with others also, especially the denise god mode, sounds promising, more features.

softube
"Great for fattening up drums and bass, adding harmonics to vocals, and more"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back