HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 27, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #18,496 of 25,710
OMG! that will sound amazing on my bass guitar!! ... reminds me of motown hits šŸ¤£

On a serious note I donĀ“t think tubes have any high fidelity. First it makes limitations to the sound with distortion and lower resolution, and then the soundstage lacks behind.

Im telling yall. Get you some tapes not tubes! try the free plugins! Softube one is amazing!

"Great for fattening up drums and bass, adding harmonics to vocals, and more"
You make a great point with baking in plug ins. Coz that's what even the best tubes do...tubes work for ppl who don't believe in tweaks, cables and accessories and will just give a compressor treatment to the signal input and bandaid the whole chain.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #18,497 of 25,710
You make a great point with baking in plug ins. Coz that's what even the best tubes do...tubes work for ppl who don't believe in tweaks, cables and accessories and will just give a compressor treatment to the signal input and bandaid the whole chain.
exactly!

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #18,498 of 25,710
On a serious note I donĀ“t think tubes have any high fidelity. First it makes limitations to the sound with distortion and lower resolution, and then the soundstage lacks behind.

Im telling yall. Get you some tapes not tubes! try the free plugins! Softube is amazing!
-I am experimenting with others also, especially the denise god mode, sounds promising, more features.

softube
"Great for fattening up drums and bass, adding harmonics to vocals, and more"
I dunno, I've heard tube stages that definitely didn't lose anything with regard to resolution, and some that produce the most impressive soundstage. I still use solid state or hybrid. Fwiw, I have a UAD plugin set full of dsp tube emulations, but none can replace the real thing.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #18,499 of 25,710
I dunno, I've heard tube stages that definitely didn't lose anything with regard to resolution, and some that produce the most impressive soundstage. I still use solid state or hybrid. Fwiw, I have a UAD plugin set full of dsp tube emulations, but none can replace the real thing.
What player do you use? I like the tapes better, not tubes. It sounds more musical to my ears.

Use EQ, tapes and saturation(distortion/Vinyl) = The Better Tube. You can always switch it off with a single mouse click!

I have not have any success with tube plugins, and Universal Audio does make great plugins!
-But the native plugins is competing and delivers same quality.

Did you try the uaudio ampeg??
-That one is amazing! but pricey though.
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/special-processing/ampex-atr-102.html

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #18,501 of 25,710
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #18,502 of 25,710
For real. Look at the high end e-stat world too. All tube amps. I guess they must be wrong too
They're ignorant generalizations. Tubes are actually pretty darn linear devices. It's the topology, capacitors, transformers that saturate toobs.
People have no idea what they're actually talking about.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #18,503 of 25,710
For real. Look at the high end e-stat world too. All tube amps. I guess they must be wrong too
This debate was finished in the 2000s where digital (plugins)finally won the warā€¦not gonna extend this.

Im just putting in an alternative that sounds better to my ears and will save people alot of money.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #18,504 of 25,710
This debate was finished in the 2000s where digital (plugins)finally won the warā€¦not gonna extend this.

Im just putting in an alternative that sounds better to my ears and will save people alot of money.
Thatā€™s fine, but not all tube amps are the same. For instance my Woo Audio WA33 is a very solid state sounding tube amp and not ā€œtubeyā€ at all. On the other hand the Ampandsound Red October is very ā€œtubeyā€ according to listeners.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #18,505 of 25,710
Thatā€™s fine, but not all tube amps are the same. For instance my Woo Audio WA33 is a very solid state sounding tube amp and not ā€œtubeyā€ at all. On the other hand the Ampandsound Red October is very ā€œtubeyā€ according to listeners.
Exactly thats sound like a tape(+tube) to me... but donĀ“t distort like it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #18,506 of 25,710
They're ignorant generalizations. Tubes are actually pretty darn linear devices. It's the topology, capacitors, transformers that saturate toobs.
People have no idea what they're actually talking about.
Solid state has capacitors and transformers but it ain't giving a compressor effect. šŸ˜‰ But on a tubes design it does? So then it is the tubes. Lol.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #18,507 of 25,710
What player do you use? I like the tapes better, not tubes. It sounds more musical to my ears.

Use EQ, tapes and saturation(distortion/Vinyl) = The Better Tube. You can always switch it off with a single mouse click!

I have not have any success with tube plugins, and Universal Audio does make great plugins!
-But the native plugins is competing and delivers same quality.

Did you try the uaudio ampeg??
-That one is amazing! but pricey though.
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/special-processing/ampex-atr-102.html
Tape is a pretty different sound, you get rounded transients, uneven frequency response, and a lot of third harmonic. I used to work with professional Studer and Ampex machines, and I am a fan of that sound, though maybe for not all music. I do own the ATR-102 plugin, but haven't used it for a while. I think I like Studer A800 better.

Tubes are something different altogether, but the overlaps would be transformer stages. Ironically, you can make much cleaner signal paths with tubes than tape, and there is just something that can't be emulated about them. Esp when you here a really nice NOS tube, it has a 3D quality that just adding harmonics and EQ can't do.

I dont usually go in for tube amps though, because the ones I have used were slow, had poor channel separation, and rolled off the treble. I trust there are great ones out there, though, and tube preamps are definitely cool.

The player I use is my streamer, which doesn't have DSP.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #18,508 of 25,710
Tape is a pretty different sound, you get rounded transients, uneven frequency response, and a lot of third harmonic. I used to work with professional Studer and Ampex machines, and I am a fan of that sound, though maybe for not all music. I do own the ATR-102 plugin, but haven't used it for a while. I think I like Studer A800 better.

Tubes are something different altogether, but the overlaps would be transformer stages. Ironically, you can make much cleaner signal paths with tubes than tape, and there is just something that can't be emulated about them. Esp when you here a really nice NOS tube, it has a 3D quality that just adding harmonics and EQ can't do.

I dont usually go in for tube amps though, because the ones I have used were slow, had poor channel separation, and rolled off the treble. I trust there are great ones out there, though, and tube preamps are definitely cool.

The player I use is my streamer, which doesn't have DSP.
Yeah from my posts, it sounds like Im telling people to choose tapes over tubes. But I forgot to mention that I like this alternative specially for Susvara, thats why I posted. Tapes/saturation plugins, gives the sound a more gooey, creamy texture, and the lowend addition, all this will compliment susvara in a better way than tubes imo.

I have not tried Studer A800 plugin, but I do recall them from being very good hardware mixers. Did you try the Denise God Mode?
-If not please do if you have the time. Im guessing you already know this plugin.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #18,509 of 25,710
On a serious note I donĀ“t think tubes have any high fidelity. First it makes limitations to the sound with distortion and lower resolution, and then the soundstage lacks behind

My tube amps disagree let's just keep it at that. I don't know what experience you have or don't have with higher end amplification but I recommend you try and listen to the Susvara on a WA33. It might not be everyone's preferred sound presentation but I think it's agreeable that it's clean, fast, highly resolving and big soundstage.

Oct 27, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #18,510 of 25,710
Received my new phono stage today to replace my Rega Aura...... Enter the CH Precision P1;

Geez. Congrats :)

That Kuzma turntable is no small feat either :wink:

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back