HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 27, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #18,511 of 25,710
On a serious note I don´t think tubes have any high fidelity. First it makes limitations to the sound with distortion and lower resolution, and then the soundstage lacks behind.

Been said, tube amps aren't about the distortion, except at the entry level.
Tubes are a more linear voltage amplification device than transistors are.
I have a pair of Tube mono blocks here most wouldn't know had tubes in them, and you can get everything from fast, "sterile", to relaxed warm from almost any tube with the right circuit.
Soundstage is also better on most tube amps.
Not even going to get into the magic that is a DHT.

Where tube amps lost out to SS was in the 90's when they changed the efficiency rating on speakers from dB/W to dB/2.83v, which was done to allow smaller speakers to have better bass without seeming extremely inefficient because they would drop impedances to < 2 Ohms at some frequencies. Tube amps aren't really designed for inefficient a wildly varying load and it gets expensive to build a tube amp to drive speakers like that.

None of this is an issue with a Planar headphone like the Susvara, assuming the amp has enough grunt, they can be VERY good, it's just unusual for tube headphone amps to have enough grunt.

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #18,512 of 25,710
Geez. Congrats :)

That Kuzma turntable is no small feat either :wink:
Thank you iFi audio.

Yes the fantastic and awesome XL DC TT is a huge mass monster weighing in +90kg with the second arm tower.

The Kuzma 4 Point Tonearm is also awesome.

If I could describe the performance of this TT set-up in two words it would be; Rock Solid !

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #18,513 of 25,710
People still enjoy the Solaris with the Sus? I havent heard it, but a used one has come up in the local classifieds (3K usd) and I’m not sure if much better Susvara amps have since sprung up for that price.

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #18,514 of 25,710
Question for the experts out there
Forgive me if this has been asked already

Anyone tried driving Susvara with class D amplifiers like bel canto ref 500m or NAD m22 integrated amplifier? I have H6se v2 which I am pairing with chord hugo tt2 now, at times I feel tt2 doesn’t have enough juice to drive to the fullest.

I want to buy an amplifier for H6se and plan to use with Susvara in the future. I don’t want to buy another amplifier later. Looking for something that can drive both h6se and Susvara.

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #18,515 of 25,710
I have two S500s in my Home Theater setup. But haven’t tried it with the Susvara. I believe it would be two much power. I have ran the S300 with outstanding results as we discussed. The S300 have more than enough power to run the Susvaras. I don’t have the H6SE but would believe it would be a killer solution for those also.

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #18,516 of 25,710
Question for the experts out there
Forgive me if this has been asked already

Anyone tried driving Susvara with class D amplifiers like bel canto ref 500m or NAD m22 integrated amplifier? I have H6se v2 which I am pairing with chord hugo tt2 now, at times I feel tt2 doesn’t have enough juice to drive to the fullest.

I want to buy an amplifier for H6se and plan to use with Susvara in the future. I don’t want to buy another amplifier later. Looking for something that can drive both h6se and Susvara.
Short answer: Yes, superb pairing.

Long answer:

https://www.head-fi.org/search/11276565/?q=nad+m22&t=post&c[thread]=853031&o=date

https://www.head-fi.org/search/11276576/?q=class+d&t=post&c[thread]=853031&o=date

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #18,518 of 25,710
Oct 28, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #18,519 of 25,710
I think Audio-gd(HE9LE) needs some recognition as headamp for Susvara around 2000 dollars.
-Slow tracks, fast tracks you name it. After a good 30-60min warm up, it just engages in every element of the songs.

Now with iFi Diablo i like the vibe(champer, dark) but with HE9 LE I feel I am present in the songs. It is soo easy to distinguish where everything(panning) is. The smallest detail/particle is not let behind.

I am glad I did not have money for a more expensive amp and used days/hours on finding the HE9LE.

I think this headamp could easily be the best in 2000 price range...I am going to find out. Maybe I can audition some from my local dealer.

Ferrum OOR
iFi iCAN Pro signature

What more in the same price range?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #18,521 of 25,710
Benchmark AHB2
Pass Labs HPA-1
Not gonna audition speaker amp. Also its 3.800 euro. the double the price for what I gave HE9LE

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #18,522 of 25,710
Not gonna audition speaker amp. Also its 3.800 euro. the double the price for what I gave HE9LE
You don't have to audition anything that doesn't work for you or obviously isn't available.
Both can be had used here in the US for around $2200-$2300 which is comparable to the Ferrum price (with Hypsos) if others are interested to know the answer to the same question.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #18,524 of 25,710
You don't have to audition anything that doesn't work for you or obviously isn't available.
Both can be had used here in the US for around $2200-$2300 which is comparable to the Ferrum price (with Hypsos) if others are interested to know the answer to the same question.
Seriously what do you mean? I have not heard the other amps, maybe I would like them better.
- Who said they dont work for me. Where does that assumption come from?---Just because I said the HE9 might be the best of them according to me?

You don´t have to have to reply on my post if they don´t work for you

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #18,525 of 25,710
Seriously what do you mean? I have not heard the other amps, maybe I would like them better.
- Who said they dont work for me. Where does that assumption come from?---Just because I said the HE9 might be the best of them according to me?

You don´t have to have to reply on my post if they don´t work for you
I meant that if you don't want to audition speakers amp you don't have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back