Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jun 29, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,261 of 4,255
I had Sundara and AFO. At the first glance, Sundara sounded extremely good. But more I listen to it, it sounded too sterile and too light, so it went back to Amazon.
Ananda is on the way. I hope that Ananda has more organic and fuller sounds.

First time I've heard the Sundara be called anything but musical. I am curious, what source and amp were you using?

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #1,263 of 4,255
I had Sundara and AFO. At the first glance, Sundara sounded extremely good. But more I listen to it, it sounded too sterile and too light, so it went back to Amazon.
Ananda is on the way. I hope that Ananda has more organic and fuller sounds.

I can understand compared to the AFO that Sundara sound light however do you not think this is done to present a less coloured sound with a larger soundstage? I'm eager to hear comparisons between Sundara and Ananda. Also I feel Sundara do present a very full sound. Any fuller or more presence would require colouring the sound

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #1,264 of 4,255
I can understand compared to the AFO that Sundara sound light however do you not think this is done to present a less coloured sound with a larger soundstage? I'm eager to hear comparisons between Sundara and Ananda.

I agree that Sundara is less colored. In fact, Sundara has no color IMO. But our ears has an unbelievable ability to adapt to their sounds (kinda brain burn-in effect). So I don't care much about it after all. What is important to me is that after my ears adapt, whether it sounds satisfactory or not.

Also, I don't care much about soundstage (if it were, I would've kept hd800s). It's matter of preference, intimate vs wild presentation. I prefer the former, although I enjoy wild presentation from time to time.

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #1,265 of 4,255
I agree that Sundara is less colored. In fact, Sundara has no color IMO. But our ears has an unbelievable ability to adapt to their sounds (kinda brain burn-in effect). So I don't care much about it after all. What is important to me is that after my ears adapt, whether it sounds satisfactory or not.

Also, I don't care much about soundstage (if it were, I would've kept hd800s). It's matter of preference, intimate vs wild presentation. I prefer the former, although I enjoy wild presentation from time to time.

Fair enough, each to their own. Soundstage I feel is the main reason people prefer open over closed.

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #1,266 of 4,255
Fair enough, each to their own. Soundstage I feel is the main reason people prefer open over closed.
Not just that. Over a closed can, an open can has many other advantages including no dynamic compression, more organic and realistic tonality, no cup reverb, better imaging, and etc.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #1,267 of 4,255
Not just that. Over a closed can, an open can has many other advantages including no dynamic compression, more organic and realistic tonality, no cub reverb, better imaging, and etc.

Do you think the tonality shines through more though with a bigger soundstage? Not in all cases of course as it depends on the headphone but if you listen to speakers that are in an area that have room to breath the tonality sounds richer and different compared to a soundproof padded room, this is similar with open and closed headphones. Creating that sense of depth changes the tonality of instruments and allows them to be better separated hearing each instrument more clearly?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #1,268 of 4,255
Do you think the tonality shines through more though with a bigger soundstage? Not in all cases of course as it depends on the headphone but if you listen to speakers that are in an area that have room to breath the tonality sounds richer and different compared to a soundproof padded room, this is similar with open and closed headphones. Creating that sense of depth changes the tonality of instruments and allows them to be better separated hearing each instrument more clearly?

I don’t think so. hd800s has an extremely wide soundstage, but i believe Clear which has smaller soundstage has better tonality to my ears.

I believe an open can has better tonality over a closed one because at least it can avoid extreme cup reverb.

Jun 30, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,269 of 4,255
Just ordered myself the sundara. After weeks of sundara or lcd 2. Hopefully I'll be happy when they arrive!

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #1,271 of 4,255
Just ordered myself the sundara. After weeks of sundara or lcd 2. Hopefully I'll be happy when they arrive!

I suspect you will be happy. Do give them a bit of a break-in period before making any judgement, however. I suggest 50 hours and they'll start loosening up with a more improved bass and you'll start getting a good sense of where they fit into your sound preferences. I believe Hifiman suggest 150 hours, but 50 should give you a good sense of where they are going.

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #1,275 of 4,255
Impressions need the music listened to for best understanding.

I'm pretty impressed with the almost 'stat-like presentation of the Sundaras, especially in the treble. For some music, a bit more bass would be welcome, so paired with something like the FiiO Q5, which has bass boost, works in their favour. They aren't as able to present a sense of depth as the Massdrop Focal Elex are though. For the Aeon Flow Open, you'd need to switch to the black inserts to compare, as the stock ones make them sound more muffled to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back