Hifiman RE272: Review
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #256 of 273
I have a pair of 272 in like new condition up for sale and now I'm not so sure to sell them. I rediscovered after playing with my Leckerton amp, putting a new Op-Amp in it, then running it by some IEMS in possession. The 272 is sounding better than the rest; pure, unvarnished sound. I never thought it's isolation was that capable, but I do have IEM's solely for isolation. So maybe I should dig the RE-272 for what they are able to deliver as opposed to what they do not.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #257 of 273
Hmm, interesting...I am using the Leckerton UHA6 MKII with the standard Op-amp, but I have only used it briefly with IEM's (it's too big to stuff in my shirt pocket). It improves the mids on my B2's, I think, but it's very subtle. I use the Leck on my full size headphones (SR-80 and AD2000x) and have been pleased with the results. Good to hear it should pair well with the RE-272. My main portable amp is a Zo, which I usually run maybe a quarter of the way up (steps 4-8 out of 32...it is greenish orange) and it really boosts the soundstage of my IEM's.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #258 of 273
I put my setup in a camera pouch today and it was comfortable to walk around with; if a bit dorky looking. Wire didn't get tangled or yanked on like it happens when in pocket or a shoulder bag. I'll be trying Westone star tips soon and hope they fit the RE-272.

Presently using the white provided and mounted tips with the trimmed central flange that the manufacturer includes. Those improved when I put some alcohol swabbed on them, primarily to disinfect; the tips got slightly tacky and able to seal better than before.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #259 of 273
I put my setup in a camera pouch today and it was comfortable to walk around with; if a bit dorky looking. Wire didn't get tangled or yanked on like it happens when in pocket or a shoulder bag. I'll be trying Westone star tips soon and hope they fit the RE-272.

Presently using the white provided and mounted tips with the trimmed central flange that the manufacturer includes. Those improved when I put some alcohol swabbed on them, primarily to disinfect; the tips got slightly tacky and able to seal better than before.

I don't think the westone startips would fit the 272's, not even if trying to stretch it unfortunately

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #260 of 273
Will they fit Shure IEMs? I'd hate to have tips that don't go with anything in my drawer.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #261 of 273
this is why i am about to close 2 years with my 272s , after spending the previous year constantly upgrading my iem (re-zero>re-252>re-262>eq-5)

these are really good iems , so glad i managed to grab them instead of some other hyped/overated/overpriced/fotm iem

is there a better iem for less than 200$ ?

i have my pair almost 2 years , completely happy , my upgraditis is laying dormant and unless the re-600 proves to be a neutral beast , i won't buy another iem

Quote:
I have a pair of 272 in like new condition up for sale and now I'm not so sure to sell them. I rediscovered after playing with my Leckerton amp, putting a new Op-Amp in it, then running it by some IEMS in possession. The 272 is sounding better than the rest; pure, unvarnished sound. I never thought it's isolation was that capable, but I do have IEM's solely for isolation. So maybe I should dig the RE-272 for what they are able to deliver as opposed to what they do not.

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #262 of 273
some new pairs for sale popped up at amazon.com

200$ + free shipping

imho , a great deal for a great iem (my favourite from all i have tried)

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #264 of 273
It wasn't my post because it got closed down from disuse. I never bumped it after a while.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #265 of 273
yeah - whoever bought this , got one hell of a deal

on topic , these are the best iems i have heard so far and there are still some new pairs for sale at amazon.com going for 200$ + free delivery
Quote:
A guy listed re-272 $130 mint condition on sale/trade forum.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #266 of 273
i am posting this Q&A i had with joker , maybe it interests anyone who got in the same position as me before

Originally Posted by proedros 
  Joker great thread , i keep coming back and reading your reviews 3 years now.

I have a question . I own the re262 and re272 and i love both very much - amped with my arrow 4G they both sound terrific , especially for the money i spent to get them

My question is , which one would you pick as a worthy upgrade if i decide to kill my wallet once more ? let's stay up to 400$ , cause after that limit we enter CIEMs territory (the final destination remains the JH13 which must sound just like i want my fantasy iem to sound)

I like a sound that is balanced but not completely sterile , as you can see by my preference for 262/272 , and it should be something significantly better than those 2 iems in order to justify shelling out that much money (i wish i was rich like all these people who own 3-4 1000$ iems lol)

Thanks, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, IMO there is no significant upgrade to the RE272/RE262 to be found short of going custom. They are truly top-tier earphones and at that level it's all signature differences. It seems like the RE2x2 earphones are the right signature for you, so a large percentage of similarly-performing sets will actually be a downgrade for you.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #267 of 273
reading again this thread , i wonder how many people kept their 272s and how many 'upgraded' - and if so , if they are happy with their next purchase

fantastic iem (considering you could buy it new for 200$)

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #268 of 273
I kept the RE272 and recently upgraded to Noble 4C 
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #269 of 273
  I kept the RE272 and recently upgraded to Noble 4C 
wink.gif

what is its retail price ? i think that below 500$ , the upgrade will not be significant , so until money comes in we stick with 262/272 (which are fine iems)

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #270 of 273
I wished I had kept the 272 because I think it would have paired nicely with my current Traluscent T1 amp.  I am happy with my next purchase which was the Noble 4.  It is a different IEM than the RE-272.  But there would be room for both in my rig if I had the foresight to keep the RE-272.  I actually kept the RE-262 much longer than the RE-272.  If Hifiman did a limited release of both 262 and 272 I'd be all over it!

Quote:
  reading again this thread , i wonder how many people kept their 272s and how many 'upgraded' - and if so , if they are happy with their next purchase

fantastic iem (considering you could buy it new for 200$)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back