HiFiMan RE262 question
Mar 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #16 of 170
Fast and complex music needs a very good attack (transient) from the headphone to sound good, usually a slightly short decay and leaner harmonic also help making it overall presentation cleaner and more transparent (which is why balanced armature tends to be more resolving when it comes to fast and complex music because they are inherently faster on attack and shorter in decay). It is not actual speed we are talking here, but the perception of speed in the music, where you feel each note comes and goes really fast or tends to drag on for a short while. There is no hard definition of what is fast and complex, it depends on what you are listening - to me, many New Age falls into the category, Vanessa Mei for an example.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #17 of 170
ClieOS, explained it well. Also re 262 has thick mids and recessed highs hence songs containing too many instruments tend to have longer decay and 262 tends to sound busy

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #18 of 170
I just got my 262 today, and I found that, when I move/shake the cable a bit extreme, I feel the imbalance, the left driver becomes lost the volume.

But, if I just move normally, there's no issue at all.

what I have to do now? any tricks to fix it, or I just have to claim the guarantee?

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #19 of 170
Don't move the cable - use the shirt clip - wear them behind the ears.

Fixed.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 170
So ClieOS, I am a little confused here. Are you saying that armature drivers are better at fast complex music than dynamic drivers? If so, how would you rate HJE900 on this? Out of curiosity, how would you rate Q-jays on it as well?

thanks

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #21 of 170
Quote:
So ClieOS, I am a little confused here. Are you saying that armature drivers are better at fast complex music than dynamic drivers? If so, how would you rate HJE900 on this? Out of curiosity, how would you rate Q-jays on it as well?

thanks

I said 'tends to', as in generalization. Some armature drives can be slightly slow too, as in most case for Knowles' Siren armature drivers. Never heard the HJE900, so I can't comment on it. As for q-JAYS, I think it is slightly too lean on the stock eartips. I like it on foam tips which adds warm to the overall sound and gives it a fuller body, but overall I like RE262 better because of its musicality.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #22 of 170
It's rare I get to listen to new headphones before I've read reviews, but with the 262's that was the case.  I won a pair at a raffle at our Bay Area meet from HeadDirect.  I had never heard of them, let alone read anything about them.  I recently had a chance to listen to them for about a week while on travel, a mix of on the plane, on the move, in the hotel, etc... I have a little mini-impressions thread in the works to share what I heard.  It's refreshing to get to listen and make impressions without already having preconcieved notions!  It was a fun challenge to listen and evaluate with my own ears, instead of listening for something someone else said they heard!

The impressions here seem pretty close to mine, but I don't feel I was as sensative to the 262's being challenged by more complex music. That may have had a lot to do with my music selection. 

One thing I did notice is that bud selection has a large impact on sound with these .  I found that selecting the white dual flange buds, which due to the design have a larger chamber, really opened up the sound which for me tended to reduce that sometimes busy sound that I was hearing with the olive style grey/black buds.  The olives really pack things up.  It also knocked the bass down ever so slightly and got it out of the way of the mids and highs.  In my limited experience, These are the first IEM's that I noticed such a difference in sound due to the buds, typically I look at them only as tool to create a seal and provide comfort.  As luck would have it, they turned out to be the most comfortable buds for my ears, sealed with ease, and allowed me to listen for hours at a time with no comfort issues.  As a matter of fact they are in my ears right now at work!

Before it's mentioned, certainly the buds are going to have no impact on the drivers capabilities, so I'm not suggesting that buds are a cure for the inherent capabilities of an IEM... If a listener is finding them a little slow, that's not likely to change much.  But perhaps, opening up the sound with the larger chamber and getting the drivers further out of the canal reduces the impression of the effect?  I'll leave that to far more experienced listeners. 

As for amplification, I agree that these guys tend to need a little extra to be driven properly.  They sounded best to me when I drove them from my Pico set at high gain.  That said, I did do some extensive listening from the HPO on several iPod classics and from an iPad.  I did not really like the iPad on the HPO, sounded thin and underpowered to me.  No problem since when I am listening to the pad I almost always use the digital out through the camera connection to a DAC/AMP combo.  I was however pleasantly surprised at the HPO from the Ipod classic.  While it won't drive to the volume levels that an amp will, it had plenty of volume for noisy environments and I struggled to find a large difference in SQ when comparing to LOD->amp from the same iPod.  I found myself happily just grabbing the ipod and the IEM's when I was running out instead filling my pockets with additional electronics!

When I won these I had no idea what they were all about.  What a pleasant surprise to find out that I had some great IEM's!  I wouldn't hesistate to recomend the HE-262's.  I don't think you can go wrong.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 170
RE262 is very fast, especially for a dynamic driver. It can handle complex music just fine, but you will need a good amp for it. Unamped RE262 is a no go IMO. The sound becomes muddy and congested. Amped out of a great source, it should be wonderful.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #25 of 170

Quote:
RE262 is very fast, especially for a dynamic driver. It can handle complex music just fine, but you will need a good amp for it. Unamped RE262 is a no go IMO. The sound becomes muddy and congested. Amped out of a great source, it should be wonderful.

Yes I agree with your statement. Straight from the fuze the RE262 sounds good but a bit too slow. On slow passages it is really enjoyable. However with faster paced music it feels a bit too slow for my tastes. Once I add an Ibasso P3+ between the Fuze and the RE262 and the pace pics up noticeably. The bass becomes a bit tighter to boot. The difference is most noticeable with faster music and IMO its a significant enough difference for me to bear with the inconvenience of a portable amp for these earphones.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #26 of 170
so the 262 is now priced at 150$ , while the 252 is priced at 200$

So this means that 252>262 ?

Having both , i have to say that i like them both as they complement each other great since their strengths are completely different.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #28 of 170
How much will the shipping be, if i preoreder them?

With an amp, will they become faster in general or only the parts which really are supposed to be faster?
Can i still enjoy Jack Johnson, Colbie Caillat..... and some New Age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back